DIY Trading/Investing

grimsbylander

15 minutes ago, grimsbylander said:

The US indices sure have done well lately.

I  remember before the 2008 freefall the Dow Jones Index would run about 1000 below the TSX Index as I held both, now the DOW is at 26,000 and the TSX at 16,000 or thereabouts, but they had more economic sense at the polls.

If personal investing was easy everyone would be millionaires.   I watched a person cash out all his RRSP to invest in Nortel that company was "ROCK" solid and could only go up.   Follow Warren Buffet and invest in companies that do dividends and grow at 5%-10%.

If you like to play "sometimes you win and sometimes you lose,"  it's fun and the more educated you are about the company the better shot you have. 

If the returns sound too good, chances are the need suckers to keep buying.

Check if they still offer TFSA in stock trading account.  They did for a while until some guys were making big money tax free.  The fed's got wind and were going to put stops in place.

TD stock trading is good but expensive they do offer reports etc that really help.  Lots of low cost trading accounts but you get what you pay for .

Have fun

My beloved Nortel , made money twice on this dog.

As I stated earlier sell for a profit is the hardest thing.

In the finally months Nortel went to .50 and I bought 6000.

My profit goal was 100% and I sold at $1.15 .

Never looked back don't care that it went to $7.90 it went to zero shortly after.

That profit is in TD or Royal just compounding away.

You can still open a TFSA trading account.

9 hours ago, LeXXington said:

If personal investing was easy everyone would be millionaires.   I watched a person cash out all his RRSP to invest in Nortel that company was "ROCK" solid and could only go up.   Follow Warren Buffet and invest in companies that do dividends and grow at 5%-10%.

If you like to play "sometimes you win and sometimes you lose,"  it's fun and the more educated you are about the company the better shot you have. 

If the returns sound too good, chances are the need suckers to keep buying.

Check if they still offer TFSA in stock trading account.  They did for a while until some guys were making big money tax free.  The fed's got wind and were going to put stops in place.

TD stock trading is good but expensive they do offer reports etc that really help.  Lots of low cost trading accounts but you get what you pay for .

Have fun

its still around, my brothers buddy just cashed out 1.5 million out of one...pretty nuts!

Ive done all of my trading through one as well, its always nice cashing out tax free!

The only issue with TFSA's is that there are limits for how much you can put in each year.  If you are starting at zero, you can go back to 2009 (when they were invented) and top up to the $52,000 accumulated maximum.  The annual limit was recently reduced to $5500 from $10,000.   There are also lots of rules about frequency of trades & types of holdings within TFSA's too that need to be considered.  

The guy mentioned earlier who turned his TFSA from about $40k into $1.5M since 2009 did fairly well it would seem as he has achieved about 3600% over the 8 years (or 400% or so annualized).  I would get investing advice from him.  

Edited by G.mech

5 minutes ago, G.mech said:

The guy mentioned earlier who turned his TFSA from about $40k into $1.5M since 2009 did fairly well it would seem as he has achieved about 3600% over the 8 years (or 400% or so annualized).  I would get investing advice from him.  

Warren Buffet is calling him now. lol

26 minutes ago, grimsbylander said:

Warren Buffet is calling him now. lol

Actually that is why the feds were investigating.. The TFSA was not designed for that.. The gentlemen was using it as a full trading account and the CRA said he was subject to capital gains..  

Arguing with the CRA is like arguing with your wife..   Even if you win.. you still loose..  http://business.financialpost.com/personal-finance/tfsa/this-bay-st-trader-managed-to-amass-1-25-million-in-his-tfsa-now-the-taxman-wants-to-know-how

Not sure where it ended put but I would still pay what CRA asked and walk away ;)

It's not gone forever. The retail cannibis market hasn't even begun yet so there's lots of room for natural growth. What may be gone is the sudden increases caused by volume demand and not by actual value. It's now an investment market as opposed to a trading market. I'd have ZERO issue buying stock this week at a corrected value with a long position.

18 minutes ago, grimsbylander said:

It's not gone forever. The retail cannibis market hasn't even begun yet so there's lots of room for natural growth. What may be gone is the sudden increases caused by volume demand and not by actual value. It's now an investment market as opposed to a trading market. I'd have ZERO issue buying stock this week at a corrected value with a long position.

agree.  i own WEED and APH, long term I'm still bullish on these two.  now if I bought at the highs maybe i'd be pooping bricks but my average cost is still below current prices.  i see a lot of consolidation in the sector in the next few weeks and maybe some sideways movement.  i do believe we're close to or at the end of the sell-off for the time being and expect a bounce monday.  let's not forget the entire market was beaten down this week, not just this sector.

Edited by Raf

I agree weed stocks are here to stay.

I don't think this little sell off  is the correction to more normal market. I don't even know what those words mean.

Still a ton of blind faith hippies with there first stock.  

Edited by Garnet

6 hours ago, Raf said:

now crypto... there's something i won't touch.  i have no understanding how that all works.

Yup no thanks.  I've got some ACB.TO and HMMJ.TO which took a crap kicking all last week.   Ah well, it's only a loss if I sell :)

20 hours ago, BillM said:

Yup no thanks.  I've got some ACB.TO and HMMJ.TO which took a crap kicking all last week.   Ah well, it's only a loss if I sell :)

Started "gamble" investing in weed this December.  Wonderfully I was up 40% in two weeks before the New Year and cashed out some before a big downslide but, things have certainly fallen across the board since then, especially in the last week.  Reality is though, I don't really know squat.  This is all just a feeling and it may work out, may not, but if it crashes down I'm not out on the street at all.  My roommate here in Nunavut turned his first $10,000 investment in weed at $0.18 last April into a return of $100,000+ when he cashed it all out in October at $1.93.  That peaked my interest in all this and so decidedly I felt it was time to take some risk.  We've been talking about weed stocks daily, following and learning what we can.  His instincts (and luck) are better than mine and even though some might say that people should have been in on weed last year, we would beg to differ.  How anyone can believe that legalization isn't going to create some real long term winners, is crazy.  Heck, the short term day trading game is working great for some too.  Markets are down right now.  Check your balls and buy up some stocks in weed.

This is the reason to have a professional manage your portfolio. Don't gamble with your future security only play with money you can afford to lose. The market is going to get tough fast and the word of a professional will always beat the street. 

Art

• 3 weeks later...

I see lots of successes and no failure? :)

I did well with the following;

• Bitcoin, going back to 2013. Do not invest in any cryptocurrencies aside from bitcoin and MAYBE the other top 5, Do not invest in cryptocurrencies if you don't understand them. Do not invest in cryptocurrencies if it's in the news.
  • Cobalt ETFs (this one will be a top performer in the coming years).
  • Various mining companies including Freeport McMoran.
  • Various collectibles which will not be named.

I did poorly with the following:

• Gold mining companies including Goldcorp.
  • Weed stocks (never bought, ha).

I have my sights set on:

• Nickel ETFs, particularly high latterite nickel mining companies...
  • Cobalt cobalt cobalt
  • Lithium
On 1/26/2018 at 1:00 PM, Garnet said:

Bitcoin chain letter / Ponzi. Nobody remembers the 1 st CEO committed suicide .

The hell is a bitcoin chain letter?

Don't listen to anyone that tells stories of how easy it is to make money in the markets.  Its been a bull market for the last 5 to 7 years.  A monkey could pick stocks and make money (in fact there are a lot of monkeys doing that.  They are called investment advisers.) 

If you truly know what you are doing, read (and understand) research, think about where sectors are in the cycle, understand which companies in a sector are better run or have better assets, buy value and buy and sell with discipline -----  then you are investing.

If you are picking stocks based on what someone else says they bought or without reading and researching, ---- you are gambling, not investing.  You might as well be "investing" in pro-line or go to Vegas.

Back in the late 80's day trading got really popular because the markets had been on a long bull run.  The monkeys were making a little money day trading, thinking they were "investors".  I won't tell you how that ended.  Do your own research.

Edited by Canuck