Another day on Simco

Big Cliff

My buddy Jim called me Wed. afternoon, he had Thursday off and wanted to know if I wanted to go out for some perch. My visit with my brother had been cut short so It didn't take any arm twisting to get me to go. Jim booked the hut with Tim Hales and we were good to go.

Fishing was pretty much non stop, I can't believe the number of herring we are catching, they seem to be everywhere and their favorite food for some reason seems to be split shot. It was amazing to watch them come shooting in, totally ignore the bait, and nail the split shot. It was actually fun trying to figure out what would work to catch them. Since they would come right up into about 10 or 15' of water you could actually sight fish them which made for a few hours of entertainment.

The perch were pretty small for the most part, I have no idea how many we caught but it was plenty, we only kept 15 perch and 4 herring but they were all decent size fish.

Watch out for that pressure crack if you are heading out of Beaverton, it extends all the way from the South tip of the island right back to within abut 50 yards of shore well South of Beaverton harbour. We did see one pickup truck out there on the perch grounds but I wouldn't suggest that is a safe option.

Oh and I forgot to mention last week when my son and I were out we had a visit from a CO, really nice guy, did the usual checks, a brief chat and he was on his way but it was really nice to see them out there checking.

Once again thanks to Tim and the crew for another wonderful day of fishing!

Glad to hear you got out again Cliff. Over the last few years I have found several perch spots that are now over run with herring. Most times I don't mind as I prefer any action to no action...but damn it's frustrating sometimes when the herring are so thick that you can't even get your bait through them to the bottom to try and get a perch:angry:

On 1/26/2018 at 6:10 AM, Big Cliff said:

My buddy Jim called me Wed. afternoon, he had Thursday off and wanted to know if I wanted to go out for some perch. My visit with my brother had been cut short so It didn't take any arm twisting to get me to go. Jim booked the hut with Tim Hales and we were good to go.

Fishing was pretty much non stop, I can't believe the number of herring we are catching, they seem to be everywhere and their favorite food for some reason seems to be split shot. It was amazing to watch them come shooting in, totally ignore the bait, and nail the split shot. It was actually fun trying to figure out what would work to catch them. Since they would come right up into about 10 or 15' of water you could actually sight fish them which made for a few hours of entertainment.

The perch were pretty small for the most part, I have no idea how many we caught but it was plenty, we only kept 15 perch and 4 herring but they were all decent size fish.

Watch out for that pressure crack if you are heading out of Beaverton, it extends all the way from the South tip of the island right back to within abut 50 yards of shore well South of Beaverton harbour. We did see one pickup truck out there on the perch grounds but I wouldn't suggest that is a safe option.

Oh and I forgot to mention last week when my son and I were out we had a visit from a CO, really nice guy, did the usual checks, a brief chat and he was on his way but it was really nice to see them out there checking.

Once again thanks to Tim and the crew for another wonderful day of fishing!

https://ontariofishingcommunity.com/topic/85797-fun-day-on-lake-simcoe-gilford/

Your day sounds almost identical to mine!

I fished Friday and Saturday with 3 buddies at Tim Hales.  Also stayed in one of his cottages.  Good times as usual.  Lots of fish under us Friday and Saturday more off and on.  Most of Friday sonar looked like a Christmas tree from half way down to the bottom.  Unfortunately 98% small perch and herring.  Friday were in 30 FOW and could see a layer of herring and underneath the perch.  Something hit buddy`s line, bent the rod double, pulled 20-30 feet of line off the drag then broke off.  Based on what I saw if it didn`t break off he would have been spooled.  Real windy Friday then Saturday more reasonable weather but water on top of ice made for slippery conditions.  The pressure ridge-crack running out from near Beaverton harbour is impassable and traffic is forced to crossing close to shore. 

I was also thinking lake trout and he would not be able to stop it and get it turned around on well worn 4 pound mono and a UL  perch rod.  On the perch gear in shallow water I've landed a few 2-4 pound white fish and have been broken off by all but one trout.  I was lucky that trout hit on a 6 pound line medium light rod set up and got his head stuck in the 3 foot hole and couldn't go backwards.  I cut the line once when I had something on for quite sometime that I couldn't move off the bottom and kept swimming around in circles. 

16 hours ago, jimmer said:

Do you find there is much difference between Tim's and the yellow guys?  If so, what are the benefits to go to Tim's.

I haven't used any operator but Tim's for years now so I can't make a comparison. I had tried other operators many years ago then found Tim's and wouldn't even consider taking a chance with anyone else. I like the people at Tim's, good safe parking, he moves his huts around on a regular basis and I think his prices are fair. To top it all off, I always catch fish :lol:

16 hours ago, huzzsaba said:

who do you mean by yellow guys?  Do you mean gilford yellow huts?

Floyd's.  They have nice huts and transportation, so I was just wondering what the personal preferences are.

Edited by jimmer

Floyds huts are orange. They have a good operation as well. Tim Hales is booked every weekend, but can usually get a weekday hut. Not sure about Floyd hales. Floyd Hales also has huts on the trout grounds, Tims does not....YET.

S.