Does anyone pour their own jigheads or know someone who does...?

adam lancia

5 hours ago, Loonietoon said:

Get a hold of Bruce ( Big Uglie on here ) Uglie Boys Baits

Thanks, I sent him a PM.

29 minutes ago, OhioFisherman said:

I used to make some of my own, no longer capable of it, you have questions or just looking to buy?

Both actually. I know nothing about fishing them or about the different materials and their properties. What are the basics? And what questions should I be asking to help narrow down what I'll need?

Gremlin's Custom Baits. He's got about 150 different molds, even 10 lb cannon balls. You can buy his jigs in Gagnons in Oshawa as well as a few places in Belleville. You can also buy direct from him. Located in Cobourg. You can find him on facebook.

5 minutes ago, adam lancia said:

Both actually. I know nothing about fishing them or about the different materials and their properties. What are the basics? And what questions should I be asking to help narrow down what I'll need?

Wow, a fishing tool you don't want to leave home without! Adam there are so many different types of jigs it is hard to know where to start, my experience is mostly with " bass jigs " but that does not mean a bass jig is exclusively for bass. Is there a particular species you are looking to target with them?  Like a lot of lures, some work better for the purpose they were intended for, and some can be fished a number of different ways, with an artificial trailer or just live bait, and using the right type for the purpose is a pretty effective means of  depth control, some are very snag resistant.

Can't help with the different materials, mine were lead head only, for me the easiest and most cost effective at the time, and I see that they are using some different materials at times now, but I really haven't kept up with that. You can save a bunch of money making some yourself if you use them a lot, and it's nice to be able to plug in a good hook in some if you can't find what you're looking for with one.

A jig and grub maybe the most fish catching lure of all time? Some are swimming jigs, flipping and pitching jigs, punching jigs, underspins, ball head, round heads, darter heads, bullet or mushroom heads, tube inserts,  too many really to list. Some are weedless style, some exposed hook, the right style for the circumstances can increase your hookup ratio? A chatterbait is a jig with a blade on front, an underspin has a blade below, lot of styles!

A) Bruce, fantastic product, excellent prices, and a really nice guy!

A 3/8 oz jig (white, pink, or orange are my favorite) tipped with a 3" white twister tail is one of my favorite "go to" baits for walleye and pike. There are a million other combinations but I bet I have more jigs in my tackle box than I do all other lures combined.

Ditto on jig numbers, just so many different ways to fish them, sizes, styles and overall cost compared to some lures.

http://www.lurepartsonline.com/Online-Store/Saltwater-Jigs/Inhaler-Jigs.html

I used a jig like that one a lot, the exposed hook in my opinion made the hookup ratio better than texas rigging a worm or lizard.

Well, this is what I get for having several threads and conversations of a similar nature going at the same time... This thread was supposed to be about swinging jig heads (at least they was my intent lol) and where to find someone who can make me some. I also have 2 conversations going about bucktail and marabou jigs (that's what the materials and their properties comment was about...).

So, back recommendations on custom jig pourers. Thanks guys!

LOL, well that certainly helps narrow it down Adam, I have never used one. Do it sells a mold to make them, so someone is probably doing it?

I have seen bucktail, bear hair and rabbit hair jigs, also  marabou, marabou probably has the best movement in colder water. All of the ones I used  were either straight bucktail or buck and rubber though.

Adam,

Go on Facebook and look up a guy name Jamie Antoine from Cornwall. Not sure if he makes a swinging Jig head but he could at the very least point you in the right direction. I've bought quite a few items from him and his prices a great. Plus, he's an all around great guy.

20 hours ago, OhioFisherman said:

That's interesting, it could work really well actually.

19 hours ago, Lape0019 said:

Adam,

Go on Facebook and look up a guy name Jamie Antoine from Cornwall. Not sure if he makes a swinging Jig head but he could at the very least point you in the right direction. I've bought quite a few items from him and his prices a great. Plus, he's an all around great guy.

Thanks, I sent him a message.