How safe will the Simcoe Perch fields be this weekend

buckhorn250

You'll be fine and an operator will know where the cracks are.  It's also unlikely to run into much in the way of pressure cracks on the way to the Beaverton perch grounds.  There is generally a beauty on the way out for whitefish and lakers though.  If I makes you feel any better about it, I'll be out of port bolster with one of my kids on the weekend and I wouldn't take him if I thought I'd run into trouble. I've been out of bolster a couple of times this year, and been out way past the operators huts and there are no cracks (at least there weren't last week) and the ice is 18 inches thick most areas I've drilled.  I don't anticipate much difference on the Beaverton perch grounds, and I usually go out there.

Edited by porkpie

Just got off the ice at Gilford. Truck was on it earlier this week. I found >15" black ice. Slick on top as the melt of last couple of days had refrozen last night. 

Under the ice (sight fishing 12 FOW) I saw

perch - they were biting today, except the jumbo one,  

bass,

CARP - gigantic ones roaming around,

pike - he took a big gulp of my lure and spat it.

Sunfish - big spots on the sides.

(Maybe some walters)

Edited by sleepjigging

The ice will be safer than it has been for several years. One mild day only helps make ice.  Water freezes faster than it thaws, so what thaws in a day, is mostly snow, then that refreezes and makes even more ice. A january thaw is always a good thing for the ice. 

S.