The Magic Lure, anyone recognize this spoon?

chris.brock

Now that you mention it I believe Phil was his first name. I Googled the Lure King and came across an agent name on the government site for tradenames. I was dated in 2017 but I could not find a phone number or email that corresponded to the agency name. If someone really wanted these spoons they might get results from a snail mail request

2 hours ago, AKRISONER said:

I had a eppinger 5 of diamonds that had just a certain shape to it...somewhat of a wave, the perfect width and length...ive never been able to find another like it  since I lost it.

That thing had multiple 40+inch pike on it...until one day my line gave out on another monster pike and sure enough I could never find another one again. 

The thing absolutely danced at low speed, the pike absolutely hammered it, even caught walleye and bass on it all the time too. RIP

I think I know the ones you mean.

Pretty sure I have a bunch of them from the lodge.

The ones I have are chartreuse with orange diamonds.

I'll have a look tonight if I remember.

54 minutes ago, Snidley said:

Now that you mention it I believe Phil was his first name. I Googled the Lure King and came across an agent name on the government site for tradenames. I was dated in 2017 but I could not find a phone number or email that corresponded to the agency name. If someone really wanted these spoons they might get results from a snail mail request

Phil Tichnovich is who you are referring to.  ;)

Thanks Snidley and Dave 524.

You still have a few as well as one it's original package eh Snidley. That would be cool if you could post a picture.

I did some googling too and the Ticknovich brothers seem to be quite the entrepreneurs, lots of patents and trademarks. 

44 minutes ago, BillM said:

Chartruese with orange diamonds is a spec killer.  My dads monster came on one of those.

Only found one of them. Must have lost the others or they're in a hidden tackle box somewhere.

Man I got a lot of tackle boxes!!!  :lol:

On a happy note I found a big box crammed full of Johnson silver minnows and other weedless spoons.   :wub:

Looks like one of the old spoons that Gary from Thunderstock outfitters sold in his old shop up in eagle  lake give him a call (519) 353-8027 Im sure he would still have some he had many cards at the shop always extras to go around. The do the shows so if he has any around he might be able to bring with him this winter

13 hours ago, DRIFTER_016 said:

Only found one of them. Must have lost the others or they're in a hidden tackle box somewhere.

Man I got a lot of tackle boxes!!!  :lol:

On a happy note I found a big box crammed full of Johnson silver minnows and other weedless spoons.   :wub:

you got a pic of this thing? i wanna see the shape...it haunts me that I cant find another one like it. Bought a ton of daredevils but not a single one moves like that one did...i cant even explain how it darted up down and side to side sporadically while cranking slowly. 

I find most spoons require you to burn them really fast to make em move that much.

Ive got that 5 of diamonds tattooed on the side of my leg! lol

Edited by AKRISONER

this is what I found on Lure King  of Mississauga its all very dated Maybe Blaney Mcmurtry coukld help

Registrant
LURE-KING INC. 
Box 894 
Streetsville Postal Station 
Mississauga 
L5M 2G4 
ONTARIO 
Current owner
L.K. SPECIALTIES INC., 
UNIT 36, 
1435 BONHILL ROAD, 
MISSISSAUGA, 
L5T 1V2 
ONTARIO 
Representative for service
BLANEY MCMURTRY LLP 
Suite 1500 
2 Queen Street East 
Toronto 
ONTARIO M5C 3G5 

On 1/23/2018 at 9:07 PM, chris.brock said:

In Jame's fly in report there's a picture of a spoon.

Luckylure_zpsujz7ikyu.jpg

I'm pretty sure it's a red and white version of what me and some people I fish with call the "magic lure". Here's mine, it's retired, I won't use it anymore because I don't want to lose it.

IMG_0593[1].JPG

IMG_0594[1].JPG

They don't make them anymore, they were sold at CT and maybe elsewhere, my cousin still has 2, he says they're branded wrinkles or krinkles. When I wasn't using it, buddies in the boat would borrow it and hammered fish. The one I retired caught so many and big fish I had to retire it in the off season, lol. Years ago when the weren't sold anymore, I went to BPS and asked a sales guy about it, he said "wow, you're the third g. Couldn't keep the uy this month to describe something like that , no clue though".

Anyone else recognize the bait or have any love for it?

This was my favourite lure on the French River years ago, couldn't keep the Walleye and Pike of the hook.  I was the only one that had it and everyone with me were green with envy. I also bought it at Canadian Tire.

I have a Quebecer buddy who goes to northern Quebec to fish for landlocked Atlantic Salmon and for them the magic lure is a Pixie. I'm told that the lodge owners sell them off of a rack in the lodge for big money once guys see how well they work and they find themselves without. This weeks InFisherman did some underwater footage tracking spoons and rattletraps for ice fishing and the difference between spoon action and even rattler action is astounding. The Williams Nipigon had the best action of the spoons I observed them testing.

That original pic is probably a Daredevil but it's hard to be sure as there's a million knockoffs of that popular spoon( Len Thomson, Cabela's Canadian Spoon, etc). The Wrinkle is very different. It has a flip, as illustrated by the 3rd original pic. That flip at the front end of the spoon combined with the lighter weight / dimension of the lure makes for the sexy action that gets bit.  Years ago when Salmon trolling involved soaking spoons almost exclusively it was quite the trend to modify trolling spoons with pliers. You simply took a thin trolling spoon and bent the front of the lure up being carefull not to split the edges.. I used to do it to some of my Racs and fish did bite them so we all believed. Since those days the fish got smarter and now you have to troll around with elaborate trolling systems and bait to get on the bite. If you look at Luhr Jensen Croc spoons and even Acme Cleo, K-O Wobbler spoons they also feature a flip but they also feature a weight/dimension that basically overpowers the sexy swimming action that the Wrinkle exhibits. Mepps Syclops spoons also have a front flip but it's a flip up and then down that creates a different action to that of the Wrinkle. The Crocs and Syclops are also much thinner through the body width than the Wrinkle, a design that gets these spoons to sink fast...great in deep water, expensive in the shallows. 

Seems to me that anyone with rudimentary metal working skills could duplicate the flip found on the Wrinkle and if they did I for one would buy some. Maybe even find Phil and get the stamping pattern and go into business

Edited by Snidley
content addition

I am pretty sure I have met Phil, kind of an eccentric guy, but very nice and passionate about fishing. He use to make a lure called the Predator that I would use for lakers and salmon and always had luck with them. Then you couldn't buy them anymore. So like Chris i did some digging around and found his name and number and gave him a call. He told me if I wanted to come down to his shop in Toronto, he would "hook me up". I went there and we talked for a couple of hours and I left there with a box of those lures and and a bunch of different attraction decals to put on them. Still have some of those lures. I can't remember exactly where he was but it was in the Rexdale/Mississauga area. Keep at it Chris, you will find what you are looking for.

Edit: Found this on Phil:

COMPANY NAME: 
L. K Specialties Inc.
HideLOCATION ADDRESS
LOCATION STREET: 
6 Marconi Crt
LOCATION CITY: 
Bolton
LOCATION ZIP: 
L7E 1H3
COUNTY: 
Ontario
STATE: 
Canada
manufacturing, manufacturing industry, sporting and athletic goods
CONTACT NAME: 
Phil Ticknovich
CONTACT ROLE: 
Owner
PHONE NUMBER: 
+1-416-951-1066
Edited by Rob

Good hunting Rob. I just talked to Phil at the above number and he does still have Wrinkles, Nastey Girls, Nastey Boys and Predator spoons to sell. He is willing to take calls re getting some for your tackle box and he is located in Mississauga. He has a charter fishing boat that goes out of bronte as well. We did not talk about the Nastey line but they were killer spoons as well.