The Magic Lure, anyone recognize this spoon?

chris.brock

Gibbs made something similar called the Tempter (spoon 1 in image from left).

I have a couple that were made in the USA that are labeled as K-2 and K3 Wrinkle (spoon 2, 3).

I also have a couple similar to the one you have (spoon 4, 5). They aren't labelled at all though.  They are both curved, but the image doesn't show it very well.

Bass Pro Shops used to make spoons that have similar curvatures as well. No clue on the name, XPS something I am sure.  I couldn't find them.  Far right spoon in the second image.

spoons_1.jpg

spoons_2.jpg

First picture, 4th from the left is what we call the magic lure, yes, no stamping or branding. I am guessing the first picture, 3rd from the left is the spoon in the Sunshine Lake report. It likely has some mojo too.

Phil said what made these spoons effective and swim seductively was the balance of the spoon weight and the curvature, including the weight of the hook. Swapping out the hook will bugger it up.

I don't know??? I'm just glad I can now buy some more, thanks to the help from the other guys posting.

Edited by chris.brock

• 1 month later...

Phil, Phil, Phil. The much sought out Wrinkle Spoon (aka MiracleSpoon) has a predicesor. At the Hamilton swap meet I found what I thought were 2 small size Wrinkle Spoons. Low and behold one of them (naturally the oldest looking beat up one) has the lable on the back saying, Flash Bait, made by the Nebco company out of Minnesota.  Further investigation on EBay shows many of these spoons BUT, they are all old and mostly beaters. The ones I purchased were virtually identical except the orange colour is not the same (the Flash Bait's orange is darker, duller and in a less curvey pattern). The old story of nothing's new under the angling sun appears, again, to be true. 

The swap meet itself was, as always, excellent

Edited by Snidley

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, PUMP KNOWS said:

Did you guys place an order for the magic lure from Phil?

Sort of, lol.

I guess Phil only stamps out a bunch at a time. He won't sell them unless they're complete and packaged. I think he's waiting for something from the US (hooks?). He hasn't said a price yet either.

I'm pretty sure I will get them, it's just a slow process. 

I was searching for old lures and may have found what you are looking for; Anyway hope it helps. Also have a lure similar to that shape it is white with silver -green stripe, very light. Can send pic if you like.

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Rare-Lot-of-46-Vintage-HELCO-Daredevil-Spoon-Fishing-Lures-On-4-Display-Cards/392011636910?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/VINTAGE-FISHING-LURE-LOT-OF-15/132550775499?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649

Edited by Boyd

This lure is the exact duplicate of the "Miracle Spoon"

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Fishing-Spoons-Blue-Fox-Pixie-Dardevle-Hotrod-Flash-Bait-Mepps-Unknown-Lot-13/142723346171?hash=item213af96efb:g:EKEAAOSwXOhabgYK

On the back is the logo    FLASHBAIT.  I have both brands of spoons and this is the original that Phil copied or bought. The only difference is in the brightness of the orange paint and that may be due to the age of the Flashbaits.  This does not change the fact that the Flashbaits and Krinkles REALLY work.

It's also interesting that the Nebco company, the firm  that made the original Flashbait came up with the original version of what we know as the Blue Fox Pixie spoon. For anyone  traveling to northen Quebec to target landlocked Salmon around Lake St Jean, the Pixie is the go to bait up there.

Edited by Snidley
new info

On 1/24/2018 at 8:59 AM, Garnet said:

They also came with a pink stripe.

There's was about a dozen on a card  light white cardboard and Wonder Spoon wrote in pink.

Sold in every cheaper location. K Mart ,Zellars  .

Yep ... pretty sure they were $0.99 at Towers back in the '70's (when I was a kid) :) ...we used to call them the poor man's daredevil

• 4 weeks later...

I have been calling Phil weekly. He keeps saying he's waiting for parts from the US and to call him back in a week. Now he must recognize my # and won't even answer my calls at all, lol. 

Has anyone else had any success lately buying stuff from Phil?

On 2018-01-30 at 2:05 AM, Chuck Enwinde said:

Are you referring to the legendary Drifter, then Tournament Drifter, then G.Loomis float reel?  Blasphemy I say.:D

I think L.G. Custom had his name on a few too  :ph34r: 

• 3 months later...