The Magic Lure, anyone recognize this spoon?

chris.brock

In Jame's fly in report there's a picture of a spoon.

Luckylure_zpsujz7ikyu.jpg

I'm pretty sure it's a red and white version of what me and some people I fish with call the "magic lure". Here's mine, it's retired, I won't use it anymore because I don't want to lose it.

IMG_0593[1].JPG

IMG_0594[1].JPG

They don't make them anymore, they were sold at CT and maybe elsewhere, my cousin still has 2, he says they're branded wrinkles or krinkles. When I wasn't using it, buddies in the boat would borrow it and hammered fish. The one I retired caught so many and big fish I had to retire it in the off season, lol. Years ago when the weren't sold anymore, I went to BPS and asked a sales guy about it, he said "wow, you're the third guy this month to describe something like that , no clue though".

Anyone else recognize the bait or have any love for it?

2 hours ago, chris.brock said:

I don't use it because it has become a keepsake now Albert, weird, nostalgia.

The Lucky Strikes don't have the curve, or wave shape.

We think it was Krinkles or Wrinkles, usually copper/ orange, I think $3.49 at CT.

Fair enough. I don't use my watta-frog either, but it is in my tackle box. 

That's not an old daredevil just completely beaten up? 

Also I agree with HTHM, I'd rather lose my favourite lure they don't make anymore to a massive fish.

I'd rather die in a freak accident doing something I love rather then dying of old age in fear never leaving my house.

But that's just me. 

Yup. Some of us are more passionate about fishing then others. :P

(I kid I kid)

I just meant that if something has luck to it, it got that way by using it. I'm as superstitious as they come but I don't think the luck of the lure will rub off just by being near the other lures.

So all I was saying was, if something works, go for it. Make the most of it while you can rather then the fear of what might happen. A lot of things might happen, and we should be mindful of that, but it shouldn't stop us from doing or using the things we like best. 

14 hours ago, HTHM said:

What is the sense of having something and not using it? If you save it think of all the fish you won't catch. 

I have a musky spinnerbait that hasn't seen water since the 80's.

Reason: Caught a 53 1/2" Wolesley Bay ski on it.

It's now enjoying it's retirement.  ^_^

Looks like a Wrinkle. I believe they were at one time called a Krinkle (that's what I have always called them) but I'm looking at one that is new in the package and the packaging calls it a Wrinkle (for some reason there is a K centered on a decal in the middle of the spoon). The manufacturer is Lure King, a company from Mississauga (Streetsville). That's the same firm that used to make Nastey Girl and Nastey Boy trolling and casting spoons. Those were killer products as well   At one time he also manufactured the original Loomis centerpin reels, those really heavy units that let to sore backs when teamed with a 13' rod. I have been to the guys factory but I forget his name and it is probably long gone now. I've never seen a red and white one (mine are all orange and gold) but that colour scheme is sensible especially for pike. I use them on Georgian Bay where they are killer Steelhead lures especially at the Beaver.

I had a eppinger 5 of diamonds that had just a certain shape to it...somewhat of a wave, the perfect width and length...ive never been able to find another like it  since I lost it.

That thing had multiple 40+inch pike on it...until one day my line gave out on another monster pike and sure enough I could never find another one again. 

The thing absolutely danced at low speed, the pike absolutely hammered it, even caught walleye and bass on it all the time too. RIP

Edited by AKRISONER

Hmmm Honestly that looks VERY much like the Cheap Lucky Strikes I buy for cam on the cardboard board...  they are fantastic and have become the camp standard!!  The classigMontreal River Orange!!

Looks to me like an old Dardevle. They made several series of spoons, some of which were long and thin like the one in the first pic. The originals were fairly thick and heavy ... there were many knock-offs made over the years, all of which were thinner and lighter. The originals usually fished better in deep water because they got down to the fish. In the shallows, the imitations often worked better because they wouldn't get stuck on bottom. I believe the Len Thompson company made some very similar spoons ... could be one of them.

I have a number of retired lures and reels that now live on bookcase shelves in my office. Every time I look at them, I'm reminded of the great days on the water that they represent. It's nice ... especially in the dead of winter.

I have a handmade  12" jointed musky lure that came floating by at the Whirlpool one day a decade or more ago. I retrieved it and it now is catagorized at my place as interior design artwork.  I don't own a rod heavy enough to cast it even if I was interested in catching slimedogs

2 hours ago, Snidley said:

Looks like a Wrinkle. I believe they were at one time called a Krinkle (that's what I have always called them) but I'm looking at one that is new in the package and the packaging calls it a Wrinkle (for some reason there is a K centered on a decal in the middle of the spoon). The manufacturer is Lure King, a company from Mississauga (Streetsville). That's the same firm that used to make Nastey Girl and Nastey Boy trolling and casting spoons. Those were killer products as well   At one time he also manufactured the original Loomis centerpin reels, those really heavy units that let to sore backs when teamed with a 13' rod. I have been to the guys factory but I forget his name and it is probably long gone now. I've never seen a red and white one (mine are all orange and gold) but that colour scheme is sensible especially for pike. I use them on Georgian Bay where they are killer Steelhead lures especially at the Beaver.

George Tichnovich would be the name. Last I heard he had a shop up on Lake Huron but that too was a few years back.

Edit: maybe it was Phil, think there was 2 brothers :unsure:

Edited by dave524