Catching big trout on small twigs

Joeytier

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ApmdyXiCY74&feature=youtu.be

We broke 'trail' (using that term loosely)  into a remote brook trout lake in Northern Ontario and caught a pair of big brook trout on primitive rigs.  I was so happy to be able to capture the entire battle and landing of such a special fish on camera.

received_101549299218407711_zpsam7uzvfi.

7 minutes ago, canoecarrier said:

Gorgeous fish! You are a good man for putting that fish back. She is even looking at the camera for the picture! haha!

Thank you...a brook trout of that size will likely die of old age in less than a year's time, but I was not interested in mounting it, and they get pretty nasty tasting when they reach that size, so back she went.  Hopefully someone else will be able to catch her before she croaks.

Very nice Joey. What a beauty!!!! 4 pounds minimum, probably closer to 5. When you don't have a tape hold the fish to the tip of your finger at it's head and hold it up your arm and make note where the tail ends. Then measure that latter.

I have to ask how in Hell can you catch quality fish without many hundreds of dollars of electronics and tackle. 13 minutes is perfect for a fishing video by the way.

That's a beauty Speck Joey. Congrats on the PB.

We always called them switches, and that's all we use when fishing back lakes since the late 70's. They can be super sensitive when thin enough. I always like to be able to see the minnow swimming at the tip. One of my buds used them for everything.

Cheers

4 hours ago, smitty55 said:

That's a beauty Speck Joey. Congrats on the PB.

We always called them switches, and that's all we use when fishing back lakes since the late 70's. They can be super sensitive when thin enough. I always like to be able to see the minnow swimming at the tip. One of my buds used them for everything.

Cheers

Yea!  I've heard people call 'em switches, or gads.