Contemplating Missinaibi PP

KraTToR

I've always been interested in spending some time on Lake Missinaibi.  Anyone on here that can lean in with the do's and don'ts and the best time of year for fishing?

I would be car camping with the understanding that the park does not have any services other than water. 

TIA!

My buddies and I went to the campground there 15 or so years ago. I have never seen so many bears and never had so many bear problems - on the roof of my car, destroyed one of our tents, trying to climb into the boat. Fishing was pretty terrible for us and as a result we never went back. Great scenery and I'm sure people have good luck fishing but not on my list to return to. Part of the Chapleau Game Preserve where there has been no hunting for around a century. Good spot for wildlife as a result.

Don't know if you don't go, though...

Jon

It's been a long time, but that's one of my favorite PPs.

Do's- bring everything you need so you don't have to drive back to Chapleau

- check out Fairy Point for pictographs and Whitefish Falls

Don'ts- leave food around your campsite, maybe things have changed, but when I would go there it was always black bear city.

Driving in one time when the dandelions had just started, I counted 13 bears along the road, mostly singles.

Edited by chris.brock

Bear proof campsite is not a problem.  I do a lot of back country camping so I'm used to it and I have the right gear.

Yes, I definatly want to check out the pictographs but I'm really looking forward to fishing a true northern shield lake that has minimal fishing pressure and boat traffic but with navionics charts :)

Edited by KraTToR

It's a big lake but it does receive some pressure. I've seen quite a few groups of guys who tow their boats in, set up camp in Barclay Bay and fish all week, that's their yearly fishing trip.

You say you're comfortable with back country camping, it might be worthwhile to head to the far north west corner of the lake and set up camp there. I have never ventured that far and I'm pretty sure not many people do. 

Guys,

Also interested in the lake. Studying the bath charts you notice about 70% of the lake is very deep, suitable lake trout habitat. Had a detailed discussion with MNR staff at their sportsmans show booth about the park. Officer had spent time at the park so he knew many details. They rent boats & 20HP motors so there is a backup for transportation if you have a motor issue. I forgot to ask if they sell gas to park goers.  I understand you have to make a phone call ahead to confirm space for camping, as opposed to standard on-line booking. Would be very interested if others know about camp crowding levels of other fisherman as opposed to canoeists launching down the river.

Edited by maker a laker

I love that park. You should be able to get into a few walleye or Pike. There's some deep water for Lakers if you want to jig for them. The park is almost run like a private camp rather than a typical provincial park and like others have said bring all you need because it's a long haul into town. They have a generator in the staff camp so ice can be ordered and delivered to your site. They don't take reservations because they don't often fill up. If you want to use minnows bring a trap.. All supplies that you buy from them are inflated due to the distance to stock up. When I was there a young guy would fish every night after his shift and sometimes stop by different campsites for a beer..  Not much else to do other than hang out in his little room.. 

I love it too pics. The fishing is good but go for the experience. Probably the most unique Ontario PP I've been to.

If it's the same young guy I would chat with up there, it looked like he carried a handgun on his hip. He's not a CO, I asked how do you have that? It was a bear banger, hahhaha