Hide'n out in Haliburton report, Lac Sack

chris.brock

20180119_121454 (2).jpg

With the brutally cold weather on hiatus, it was time to venture deep into the bush. With a snowmobile towing a sled, we crossed sketchy ice on a river, got the whole rig stuck in a marsh and splashed through an open water creek. It was a lot of effort but our hopes were high. 

We set up on a fast breaking shore with a beaver lodge. It wasn't long until Colin got bit and promptly broke off. Then my set line started bouncing but remained in place. Chuck was tending his tip up when his line started to peel. He iced a titanic brookie and removed 2 hooks from it's mouth, his and Colin's.

20180119_121500 (3).jpg

20180119_121513 (2).jpg

That fish came early and had already made the day a success.

20180119_145500 (2).jpg

20180119_135105 (2).jpg

On day 2 the balmy weather continued and we went searching for splake into the wilds of Muskoka. My Dad turned 74 today but he rode the snowmobile like a champ, hiked through the hilly bush and chased bouncing tip ups on slippery ice with speed and agility. I hope I'm in similar shape when I hit that age.

lake yc (2).jpg

2 fish weren't suitable for being released but they didn't go to waste.

lake yb (2).jpg

lake ya (2).jpg

20180120_164539 (2).jpg

I guess it was my turn at being the angler of the day when I lucked into a monster splake that seemed to take forever to subdue and bring onto the ice. I popped the hook out, no blood, a couple pictures and sent him back down the hole.

lake y (2).jpg

The first days fish are stocked brookies.

The splake, with the genotype/ phenotype thing you never know what they are going to look like. I don't know where the picture is, but we had one that reminded me of a pink salmon. One was spewing roe, they're just weird, mutant hybrid beasts. GMO at it's best, lol.

I felt bad for Colin but at the same time I felt great for me. lol.   Funny how the first fish of the weekend had to have two hooks removed and the last one that Colin caught also had a second hook in it's mouth, obviously from quite a while back.  And don't you talk about splake that way.  Pretty sure they're the greatest fish ever invented.