Two days fishing with my son

Big Cliff

Well, we don't get to do it often enough but when we do it's always wonderful. My son came down on Wed. and we booked a hut with Tim Hale for both Thursday and Friday. As always the service was exceptional, the fishing wasn't bad either!

Thursday we lost count of the number of fish we caught, the bite was pretty steady with a bit of a lull in the afternoon, there were a lot of smaller fish < 10" but we did catch a nice mess of jumbos as well. We talked to a few of the other guys that were out and they all did reasonably well too.

Friday was a whole new experience; it was more of a kids fishing day, the bite was non stop all day with double header after double header but almost all of the fish were small. At one point I was reeling up a small perch and we saw something follow it and attack my sinker. I stopped my retrieve and we watched as 4 or 5 fish came into view and attacked my sinker. I figured they were herring so we tried just suspending a minnow in the area but they wouldn't touch the minnows. Quick change; I had some of the Finess Minnows in my bag so I cut one of them into small chunks and put a piece on the hook. Unfortunately by then the herring had disappeared so I just dropped my line back down to bottom.

Within seconds I had another hit, another small perch and as I was reeling it up the herring came back into view (it seemed the struggling perch was attracting them) this time however one of the herring attacked my hook with the small piece of Finess minnow on it. That's when things got really interesting, the action seemed to attract more herring and within minutes we had 4 nice size herring in the pail and a huge school had come into view. The action only lasted for a few minutes and the school moved off again but it sure was fun while it lasted. We did manage to finish off the day with enough fish to satisfy us and provide for a couple of really nice fish frys.

We did see one really nice white fish caught from the hut next to us and at one point there was a nice size lake trout swimming around just below the ice but it wouldn't hit. We even had a smelt come right up into the hole and swim around for a quick visit. All in all two wonderful days of fishing and hanging out with my son. Thanks Tim, Kim, Chris and the rest of the gang at Hales for making this another wonderful experience. As a famous politician once said "I'll be back!" :-)

Cliff.

Pull the trigger and we'll be out there. Bring something to snack on or throw on the BBQ is all you need! PM me Cliff and I'll let you know where the key is and the disarm switch is; for the unwanted. The season isn't that long and what way to get to know someone;other then in an ice fishing hut

Dan,

4 hours ago, DanD said:

Cliff.

Pull the trigger and we'll be out there. Bring something to snack on or throw on the BBQ is all you need! PM me Cliff and I'll let you know where the key is and the disarm switch is; for the unwanted. The season isn't that long and what way to get to know someone;other then in an ice fishing hut

Dan,

Working on it Dan and looking forward to it!