leader for frogging?

chong

Nope, braid right to the frog.   Frogs aren't something I like to throw in pike territory because of exactly that.   You could try some thick mono  leader maybe?  40lb or so?   At least it wouldn't pull the frog down in the pockets like flouro or titanium would.

Several years back, when I used a type of hollow plastic frog that had life-like legs out the back, pike would repeatedly take the back legs off completely with their initial chomp and/or puncture the plastic so that it would fill up with water. I went through 5 in one afternoon and gave up on the tactic of using those things in pike waters. We were after largemouth at the time. I would rather have lost the entire thing, I think.

What brand mono would be good?

I don'think a 6" titanium leader would be heavy enough to pull the frog down.

MJIG  fishing hollow belly frog are exciting and gives me a rush eveytime 

there is a blow up, that's why i like frogging.

This is the other reason , a  22"er.

image.jpeg

Several years  ago I was going through the same problems. I experimented with 25 & 40lb fluorocarbon leader material. Although stiff, one could still tie good knots with the 25lb fluoro. I found the 40lb so stiff it was impossible to tie proper knots with., it was almost like trying to tie a knot with a wire coat hanger....LOL

If you want to pursue the fluoro leader option I would suggest crimping the leader. I use 65lb braid  for froggin'.  I do use a 2ft. leader of 65lb braid just for reducing abrasion on the main line.  You could also tie a small Spider Hitch with your braid then you would have a double line attached to your frog.

I cut my bite-offs  dramatically by switching to LiveTarget from Spro, and I stopped trimming my tails. I suspect the longer tails had more to do with this than the brand of frog.

Good luck,

Drop

Make sure It's not because of a bad knot on your braid. Had a buddy a few years ago blaming his 4th lost frog to pike's. Until I watched him make his knot. Use a Palomar. Most other regular knots will slip especially with bigger braided line.

Edited by wallyboss

3 hours ago, wallyboss said:

Make sure It's not because of a bad knot on your braid. Had a buddy a few years ago blaming his 4th lost frog to pike's. Until I watched him make his knot. Use a Palomar. Most other regular knots will slip especially with bigger braided line.

i'm sure it's not the knot, when i go to set the hook and there's no tension ,the line comes flying back limp you know it's a pike

6 hours ago, Tom S said:

Has anyone tried the knot-able wire available for fly fishing toothy critters? I have a Rio spool that I was quite impressed with this summer. Easy to work with and not to heavy

started using this stuff always when fly fishing on gbay because I cant afford to lose $15 streamers, and specifically when targeting pike in the spring...you cant beat it. Jesus its expensive though lol.

I don't believe in leader materials for frogging. No matter how much the leader (flouro or metal), it will mess with the action of the frog in some way shape or form.

I have used 65lb braid for years and can maybe think of two times where I have lost a frog. Am I lucky? maybe.. but I very rarely use leaders on anything and have not lost many lures.

Edited by Lape0019

• 3 weeks later...