Navionics for iphone

turtle

I'm a new "smart" phone user and looking to put Navionics on my iphone.   I mostly fish Simcoe and Haliburton lakes and looking for good contour lines.  Is the Boating USA & Canada app the one I should put on the phone?  Thanks. 

the app will notify you on an annual basis. It can be a bit misleading...ask you for the update...you may not notice that its charging your account the 17 bucks. 

I copied this from their app page....   Navionics+ is a one-year subscription. Download detailed maps by zooming in or from Menu>Download Map: 

Once mine expired I could see the maps but none of the contour details 

I had downloaded the maps to my phone last year....did not get any notification to re-new though ....tried it this weekend and the maps are still on but it does NOT locate me on the maps...it also had  "Navionics + Expired " at the top of my map...still don't know how to re-new ??????????

ROOK

It's a cool App.  I recently purchased it for $21 for my iPhone.  I loaded it with the lakes in the central Ontario area where I live/fish and it only took approx 100meg of space on the phone (not much).  It looks like just the Navionics on my Helix 7 and I think there may be a way to share info between the phone and Helix or Navionics SD card in the Helix ... but I'm not sure on that.

Yes, my particular phone is an iPhone 6, and I have in the past run with my humminbird mounted to the bars on my bike.  I've looked at the phone for consistency and it's pretty close.  A lot would have to do with how accurate the GPS is in your phone and or sonar.  I can say on Simcoe at least, it's pretty accurate as far as depth and location goes, But I've found a few areas that it's off. I'll say the phone app is certainly more detailed than the old hotmaps chip in my portable sonar!! I also have had the navionics app for a long time, never been charged for it.  Maybe I won't do another update?

16 hours ago, captpierre said:

Does anybody know how accurate the GPS is on an iPhone with the app?  Would it be as good as a sonar/GPS unit?

havent personally had too much of an issue...I have had problems with it knowing my bearing at times, I also have had a couple of experiences where i tracked off of course...but it quickly corrected...if you are driving new water that fast that a quick correction wont save you...The person driving like that probably deserves to lose the leg of their boat anyways.