Garmin fish finders

kickingfrog

I have the garmin 75sv.  And it is a great unit 

easy to read and use. The custom mapping is great. And the maps are high detail

here is a north spot on Simcoe fist is a big area then I zoom in for more detail on the exact spot

ED960C97-9A9B-4ECE-938A-95852FE207BE.jpeg

DFB1D9A7-E7C6-4C2B-85DB-D29C5E081057.jpeg

I had a colour BPS/Sonar combo that was a first generation colour combo, maybe 15 years old a few years back. It finally fried when I left the screen on all day in direct sunlight, not recommended for any screen back then, mia culpa. If I'm still fishing now I shut off my units and cover them. New units may be different and can take the sunlight and heat today. I hope so.

As far as details on that chip on the Great Lakes it was so detailed, especially in the shipping lanes and the docking areas like Nanticoke, there was sometimes too much detail. Garmin supplied there own cards included in the price of the units, back then at least. Not sure about today. That old GPS chip was amazing, far better than my current Navionics card that came with my Humminbird. You can't go wrong with a Garmin for quality in my opinion.

On 1/15/2018 at 6:17 PM, kickingfrog said:

Looking at a Garmin Striker Plus 7sv or something similar. Who has experience with the Garmin units? I like the self mapping feature for those lakes off the system,  but how are their charts of the big lakes that are already mapped?

The self mapping is a great feature I would like to see how well that works to. Wish all units had that feature

honest question...do you ice fish? If so I would heavily consider getting a Garmin equipped with Panoptix. It will replace the need for a flasher..turning your boat GPS into an ice fishing sonar as well, potentially saving you money in the long run ?

The panoptix down for ice fishing is very very impressive.

Edited by AKRISONER

3 hours ago, BillM said:

I don't think the Panoptix is going to help you ice more fish.  Might look a bit prettier but that's about it.

not sure if youve seen it in action?

How can a live view of whats beneath you be any worse than a flasher/graph

it just puts them into a 3 dimensional view...ive been very impressed with what I have seen.

1 hour ago, AKRISONER said:

not sure if youve seen it in action?

How can a live view of whats beneath you be any worse than a flasher/graph

it just puts them into a 3 dimensional view...ive been very impressed with what I have seen.

What does it do better then a HB or Lowrance?  It's not like you can up and move 30ft in order to take advantage of it.   To me it's way too cluttered.   I get a 'live' show of what's going on below me with my 597HD just fine.

Even on the boat I'd probably choose a HB 360 over this.   The most important thing to me when vertical fishing (whether that's through the ice or not) is real time action of my lure and the fish below it.  2d/3d really doesn't matter.

I will say this however..  On schools of fish like crappies or similar that can be very stationary to cover this would be a pretty useful tool.   For whities/lakers?  eh...  I dunno...  those fish rarely just sit still.   

Edited by BillM

hey i aint hating on the 360 or comparing it to other brands...id probably prefer 360 myself

but buddy seems like he specifically wants a garmin, hence i recommended panoptix...personally im extremely happy with my helix 7 G2 on ice mode...the flasher ultra graph combo is ridiculously good as it is.

Bill I 1000% agree that if you are fishing big fish in a lot of water, there isnt even a need for a flasher, but man if you are trying to jig up 14 inch eyes in 30FOW...good friggin luck with a graph, half of the time you dont see the walleye till its at your bait on the graph, hence the flasher is way better to tell something is changing on bottom.

I much prefer the flasher when the ground isnt 100% flat, if you have rock structure, they all throw the graph entirely outta whack.

Edited by AKRISONER

I think as technology advances you'll see units with better bottom separation, although most units are a few inches at most now.   This is why I love my side scan on the 899HD SI I've got on the console.  I can mark big rock piles off to the side, set a waypoint then work my way around and get perfect lure placement.   Big rocks and all those nooks and crannies are always going to be a pain.   I just wanna know if there's fish on them, if I can get one to rise up and see it, the graph has done it's job.

On ‎2018‎-‎01‎-‎15 at 8:04 PM, DRIFTER_016 said:

They suck!!!

You won't like it!!!  :ph34r:

Sonar.jpg

Can you get your Leaf games on those things Dave?

As far as the OP looking for a unit, I don't think he mentioned what type of fishing he does. No need for most of the new features like side scanning when fishing in a hundred feet of water or suspended fish in deep waters, as far as I understand it.

8 hours ago, AKRISONER said:

honest question...do you ice fish? If so I would heavily consider getting a Garmin equipped with Panoptix. It will replace the need for a flasher..turning your boat GPS into an ice fishing sonar as well, potentially saving you money in the long run ?

The panoptix down for ice fishing is very very impressive.

I have a dedicated ice unit. This would be boat only.