Fishing in -30ºC

limeyangler

Hi all,

The Arctic weather continues here, and even with a shelter I am finding it hard to motivate myself to go out but still do just to maintain a socially acceptable level of sanity, anyway....it toughens the nipples which is good for breast feeding.

Headed across our lake early yesterday morning to meet with a buddy on his home lake, I was set up and fishing by 9am and got a text at 11 am saying he was too hungover to make it, I texted back to say the fishing up to that point was probably worse than his hangover.

It took almost five hours before I landed a fish. It was a tiny laker that had been keeping me company for that whole time and probably decided that since we had known each other for a long time we should meet, kind of like internet dating I guess.

After that 1st fish, the lakers turned on, suspended and on the bottom, that lasted an hour and then the Burbot came out in force. I put the Lake Trout back and kept the Burbot, got a nice bag of cod fillets out of the deal, just deciding what to cook with them, not a great fan of the 'poor man's lobster' option (sorry Misfish), but thinking a lemon crusted fillet, steamed in wine on a bed of garlic butter zucchini spaghetti would be better, but that's just me.....lol.

64' FOW again, same spot as the other day. Trout would hit anything, burbot would only hit small acme spoons tipped with a minnow resting on the bottom. The burbot are small but my hungover buddy fishes them at night in March during the spawn, he says he gets much bigger ones....cant wait!

That 1 trout didn't want to go back down. Backed his way out of the hole a few times. It was warmer in your clam so he wanted to stay with you mate. Ding a ling, North Bay scallops, love them. Watching the human snow making machine made me turn on the gas fireplace. Even to cold for Jack? Thanks for the video and stay warm.

I dont mind the cold temps out there. What I have found this year though is, I,ll be going thermo next year, I have had enough of the frost in the hut even with the heater on full. Getting to old for that crap.  

Enjoyed the vid Simon and yes, I like the nipples like that as well. LOL

On 2018-01-14 at 7:00 AM, manitoubass2 said:

Nice!!!! And that recipe idea sounds amazing!!!

I'm all packed up to go fish LOTWs this am. Looks like she'll be a tad warmer finally. This -30 -40 for a month can frig off!

Post a pic of the ling dish when done please!!!!

The weather is ridiculous, it goes to -20ºC and everyone starts talking about waxing bikini lines! 

The dish turned out great BTW............. even made a video of the recipe with my helper Jack, will take a while to put together though.GOPR4160.JPG

On 2018-01-14 at 8:42 PM, LeXXington said:

nice!! love the vid!

Thanks man!

22 hours ago, Old Ironmaker said:

That 1 trout didn't want to go back down. Backed his way out of the hole a few times. It was warmer in your clam so he wanted to stay with you mate. Ding a ling, North Bay scallops, love them. Watching the human snow making machine made me turn on the gas fireplace. Even to cold for Jack? Thanks for the video and stay warm.

Waaaaaay to cold...even for 'Jack 'o the North' as his gramps calls him.

13 hours ago, SirCranksalot said:

No wind1 Might have been OK w/o the tent!!:rolleyes::o

pfffft...after you matey....lol.

9 hours ago, Headhunter said:

Ha Ha!!!! thanks for the laugh Simon!

HH

better safe than sorry eh?

4 hours ago, misfish said:

I dont mind the cold temps out there. What I have found this year though is, I,ll be going thermo next year, I have had enough of the frost in the hut even with the heater on full. Getting to old for that crap.  

Enjoyed the vid Simon and yes, I like the nipples like that as well. LOL

Thermo is ok, no condensation freeze up, but they don't hold the heat as well as they are advertised. 'oooooh....me nipples were like bullets!'