there's a new kid on the block in the Nakina, ON outfitting business

chris.brock

1796ca0a-cb0d-4936-9308-1528a1c2c94d.jpg

A lot of us dream about owning a fishing lodge or outfitting business. For most of us that's all it amounts to, dreaming. Well, my buddy jmeyer (Jason) recently bribed his wife, threw caution into the wind, dismissed all the headaches that are inevitably on their way and took the plunge head first into the outfitting business. Some people dream, some people talk, some people actually do stuff.

He's got 3 camps so far and is looking for more. There's a lot of crap for sale on a lot of dud lakes. The 3 Jason picked up are really cool, each in their own way. There's always pike, walleye and bonus brook trout at any camp.

2 Mile is a drive to on the Little Current River. Lots of water,fly in quality fishing and privacy at a dirt cheap rate.

Balson Lake is a sleeper cell in brook trout country with access to the section of the Dusey River and lake Mike has fished.

Ogoki River has access to Ogoki and Kayedon Lakes, lots of legendary water to explore.

Jason, Chuck, Adam, me and a couple others are going to Ogoki in late August this year, it should be epic.

I dug up some of my old Ogoki pictures to pump the guys up.

ogoki3.jpg

ogoki4.jpg

ogoki5.jpg

ogoki9.jpg

ogoki2.jpg

ogoki8.jpg

IMG_05891.jpgogoki1.jpg

2 Mile is probably intriguing to some guys here because it's cheap, it's fly in quality fishing and fly in quality privacy but at a cheap price and when you run out of beer you can just waste half a day and go get more.

Show Jason some love.

Oh yeah, Jason wanted me to mention what song I was listening to at the time, that would be luke bryan

Edited by chris.brock
typo

23 minutes ago, chris.brock said:

2 Mile would work for that Rob. There's lots of logging roads and trails and nobody around. Brook Trout are closed after Labour Day though.

I think this link will bring it up on a map.

2Mile.html

2 mile.html

Maybe it's just as well. If there was brookies and grouse I might become a squatter.

2 Mile is as good as any fly in lake in the area. Guys are talking about 100 fish days being common fishing at the base of the rapids. 

What do you mean your outpost days are over Chad, what happened?

Yeah Chris, I'm pumped too, sucks we have a 6 month wait though, lol.

I wish your pal the very best wishes both for his family and himself. I too have been told you are "nuts" or you "can't do it". Naysayers need not apply. A trip up there before I hit my best before date would be fantastic.

Where does a commercial airline fly to that is closest to Nakina?

Thunder bay is the closest airport then it's about 2 and a half hour drive to nakina, the drive to camp is another hour beyond town. Thank you for the kind words, your right I've heard all those things but don't forget the mighty oak was once a nut like me! 

Guys,

Nice camp, decently maintained over the years, until the ice got the dock. Rocky beach is fine for daily launches of boats. Fish numbers noted above are real from my 4-5 week long trips there over the past decade. Watch for golden eagles when you go all the way upstream to the rapids. Bald eagles hang out downstream from the camp. Great place, I plan to book again in the next few years.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
16 minutes ago, darkwater said:

im starting to feel like a kid before christmas!39 more sleeps...lmao

i hear ya ...

that feeling never gets old .... any chance to head north on a fishing trip always makes feel anxious ... and Jason is a great guy to deal with

• 3 weeks later...