Anybody seen one of these on the ice?

Shloim

So, although I'm new to the ice fishing game, I realize that albeit great exercise, walking isn't always fun. The options available aren't great either, nor are they inexpensive. So I did some googling after seeing the snow dog sled in action. So although they may not be super fast this can carry your stuff out pretty good Id say... Thoughts????

powerwagon.jpg?w=800

2 hours ago, John Bacon said:

It doesn't look like something that would handle deep snow very well.

The first thing I saw. OK if you are travelling on flat ice Shloim, come to a drift or a mogul higher than the clearance and you are going to stop and drill a hole right there.  I wouldn't invest in one. I don't know the cost but subtract that from a snow machine or an ATV. The strangest ice fishing transportation I have ever seen and bet I will ever see was a guy with a horse on The Ottawa River. I don't know if he rode on it over the ice or just led it. I didn't talk to him. I didn't think standing next to 1/2 ton of beast on 8" of ice was a great idea.

6 hours ago, Shloim said:

So, although I'm new to the ice fishing game, I realize that albeit great exercise, walking isn't always fun. The options available aren't great either, nor are they inexpensive. So I did some googling after seeing the snow dog sled in action. So although they may not be super fast this can carry your stuff out pretty good Id say... Thoughts????

powerwagon.jpg?w=800

Those snow dog traction engines cost well over $4000, saw one at the Barrie Ice fishing show a couple weeks ago. You can get one of these for about the same price, maybe less. https://www.irbisusa.com/irbis-t150/

1 hour ago, Fisherman said:

Those snow dog traction engines cost well over $4000, saw one at the Barrie Ice fishing show a couple weeks ago. You can get one of these for about the same price, maybe less. https://www.irbisusa.com/irbis-t150/

Were in Heavens name is $4000.00 worth of engine. That would be a very expensive lawnmower or snow blower.  4 grand!!!!!???? You get a good used snow machine or ATV for 4 grand just to use for icefishing.

12 hours ago, Joeytier said:

Is that a snowblower with one of those gardening store trolley's welded onto it?

12 hours ago, Joeytier said:

Is that a snowblower with one of those gardening store trolley's welded onto it?  :lol:

Ok the point I was trying to make is I can't believe I'm the first guy to try or actually make a powered sled. Even if it only goes as fast as a brisk walk, but carries you and a sled full of gear it would be awesome IMO. The other factor was weight and space that it takes up the other 350 days a year.... I'm looking for a snowblower with tracks now btw. If anyone has one kicking around....

Saw a guy once a few years ago using a rototiller out from Old Cut, bit noisy, but worked.

Buddy and myself laughed.:lol:

Need someone to invent something that pulls that doesn't need licence and insurance.

Riding lawn mower ????

Anything is possible. Tackle shops would be sold out!!!

Edited by Fish Farmer

30 minutes ago, Shloim said:

Ok the point I was trying to make is I can't believe I'm the first guy to try or actually make a powered sled. Even if it only goes as fast as a brisk walk, but carries you and a sled full of gear it would be awesome IMO. The other factor was weight and space that it takes up the other 350 days a year.... I'm looking for a snowblower with tracks now btw. If anyone has one kicking around....

You're right, not the first, second or last.  Why try and re invent the wheel or track.  Honda and Yamaha have tracked blowers..

They have things tha5 fit the bill. No ins or registration but they are $4500.00. My idea was repurposing something that is otherwise scrap, that can be easily transported and fits in a normal vehicle... once we add in a trailer and all the other stuff it's easier to just walk.. .

3 minutes ago, Fisherman said:

You're right, not the first, second or last.  Why try and re invent the wheel or track.  Honda and Yamaha have tracked blowers..

Exactly there's a video on tbe net of a guy with a stand on conversion that looks incredible... works great in the video! Im gonna do this! From what i understand the transmitions and drive systems outlast the auger blower parts that are more succeptanle to rust etc.

19 hours ago, Shloim said:

powerwagon.jpg?w=800

The season will be over by the time you get out to the trout grounds :) Not exactly Maserati!

7 minutes ago, ketchenany said:

The season will be over by the time you get out to the trout grounds :) Not exactly Maserati!

:lol: And once the front wheels start digging into the snow or slush it will be like a shopping cart with wobbly wheels all over the place except where you want to go.   I'd be putting a set of quick strap on skis there in place when you're on the lake.  Hope you make it back by the end of the season. :unsure:  Maybe swap out the skinny tires for a wider set of ATV tires.

Edited by Fisherman

4 hours ago, Shloim said:

Your not the first, Terry was,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

I've heard Buzz kill too. When we built out hut out of metal garage doors plywood roof and floor and it was heavy. How do two guys lift this at the end of the day. I put a short  4x4 in each corner with 1/2 inch hole in it. Got an old car jack and had a piece of rebar welded to the  jack, insert in hole and jack it up.  One person could do it.