Looking for resort reccomendations

Bass Tard

Hey guys and gals, we're looking at booking (ahhhh) our annual guys fishing trip for this fall already.  We usually go the short week in september, and its not uncommon for us to get serious about booking something in July.  (we're guys)   So. we're looking for some input here, I'm sure everyone has their spots.  We'd like to find something that isn't much further than Temagami, but one of the guys is looking at a place two hours past Sudbury, so I guess that doesn't mean much.  And it would be nice to find a place with some Walleye and I know some guys like to hunt Musky or big pike, too.   We are not good walleye fishermen however.  In 5 or 6 years of doing this trip, we've caught walleye twice.  Once at three mile lake, and once at the west arm of nippissing.  

I'd also like to mention that most of our guys are cheap, so around $300 per person would be ideal, but we can flex on that a bit.  Preferably a resort too, there's 8 of us, so its an awful lot of one cabin.

Thanks for any help possible.

I'd recommend either Mashkinonje Lodge or Memquisit Lodge, both on the West Arm of Nippissing.

I'm not a walleye fisherman but there's good musky fishing there with plenty of fish over 50" and lots of good sized pike too.

Thanks Lew, we've stayed at both of those places.  I loved Mashkinonje, I loved how easy it was to go up or down the river to good spots that I was aware of.  The cottages were very nice, and Regan is a blast.  In fact, when I stayed there two years ago, I'd recognized your boat from all your posts on here, and spent several hours having beers and telling stories with Regan.  However, its too much money for my cheap friends.

Our first year of making the trip guys only, we stayed at Memquisite, and we all really liked how well spaced the cottages were, and the fishing was excellent.  Problem with them, is when we went to rebook the next year, they'd raised the cost over $70 per person, even though we were returning, and we stay during a week where no one else was there last time.. They wanted to charge us $70 for launching and docking each boat, even though there's a free launch on the island you drive in on, and the cottage is water access, so of course I need docking?!  It was unfortunate, we really could have started a long standing tradition of going there.

1 hour ago, bugger said:

Thanks Lew, we've stayed at both of those places.  I loved Mashkinonje, I loved how easy it was to go up or down the river to good spots that I was aware of.  The cottages were very nice, and Regan is a blast.  In fact, when I stayed there two years ago, I'd recognized your boat from all your posts on here, and spent several hours having beers and telling stories with Regan.  However, its too much money for my cheap friends.

Our first year of making the trip guys only, we stayed at Memquisite, and we all really liked how well spaced the cottages were, and the fishing was excellent.  Problem with them, is when we went to rebook the next year, they'd raised the cost over $70 per person, even though we were returning, and we stay during a week where no one else was there last time.. They wanted to charge us $70 for launching and docking each boat, even though there's a free launch on the island you drive in on, and the cottage is water access, so of course I need docking?!  It was unfortunate, we really could have started a long standing tradition of going there.

Yeah, they're both great places and sorry to hear about your issues at the one place.

My wife and I have stayed there several times and really enjoy it.

A group of us from this board go to Mashkinonje every June and then my wife and I go back in August for a couple weeks.

Edited by lew

This one is just a few hours down the road from me and I've always wanted to check it out.  Even just day trip up that way.  Reason being, have seen some really great spring pike and some equally great fall walleye pics and reports come from the area over the years.  Don't think it would break the bank and there's some wicked speckled trout lakes you can backroads tour to up in Zec Dumoine.

http://www.holdenlakelodge.com/

"Cheap fishing lodge" is an oxymoron. I also recommend Maskinonje. Check out Bear Creek Cottages on Nipissing. Neither is "cheap", Motel 6 is cheap compared to the Marriot. 25 bucks a night for 4 guys sharing 2 beds. I've stayed at cheap fishing camps. believe me. You got the water from the pot on the floor that caught rain leaking through the roof, 100 bucks a week including a tinny, Cedar Grove Cottages Westmeath On. on the Ottawa, 1980's. Some of the best Walleye fishing I have ever experienced. We rented a room in Pembroke every few days to have a hot shower and dry bed. Imagine renting a place while you are renting a place. It might be twice that today. Then there is Bud's Fishing Lodge on Muskellunge Lake, Teresa NY, 5 bucks per person per night. No more than 6 to a cabin. No boat included though but a free keg of beer every 4 days in the Pool Room/machine shed. No stove to cook on,  Charcoal BBQ only or on woodstove. Again the 80's.  Most 5 star places I will never remember, those minus 1 star places I will never forget, and we had a blast. You get what you pay for it is as simple as that but it's not where you stay it's with whom that you stay.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

I’ve fished Lady Evelyn twice which is near the Temeagami area

once with Ellen Island Lodge which is cabin and boat rental and Once w Island 10 which is full service (meals included).  

Ellen Island is cheaper but is farther away from the primo summer fishing areas IMO.  If you are bringing your own boat that has more power that the 20 hps offer its  not as much of an issue 

Garden Island and Redpine Lodge are also on the lake and both have good reputations

Good to great walleye fishing, great small mouth fishing and while we didn’t spend a ton of time fishing for them there is a good pike population 

Thanks guys, were still scrounging around.  Like I said, I really enjoyed Mashkinonje, and we absolutely love the area, but we need to find someone who's willing to work with us on the price a bit.  The cottages are beautiful there and Regan and his wife are fantastic hosts.  That being said, as Ironmaker mentioned, we really don't need all that.  Flush toilets are nice, and we always manage to find our own room for $300 a person.  Since we go in the offseason, we've often had entire resorts to ourselves, or maybe one other cottage.  

Right now I've got my eye on Wajashk cottages in Dokis on the french, and my buddy is sending me one from Tamar island, on Temagami.  Water access in sepetember isn't super ideal to me.

Gordy, those places are both water access?  My buddy's boat has a 60, and I've got an 80, so were not bad there.  I'll get there first. :)

21 hours ago, bugger said:

Thanks guys, were still scrounging around.  Like I said, I really enjoyed Mashkinonje, and we absolutely love the area, but we need to find someone who's willing to work with us on the price a bit.  The cottages are beautiful there and Regan and his wife are fantastic hosts.  That being said, as Ironmaker mentioned, we really don't need all that.  Flush toilets are nice, and we always manage to find our own room for $300 a person.  Since we go in the offseason, we've often had entire resorts to ourselves, or maybe one other cottage.  

Right now I've got my eye on Wajashk cottages in Dokis on the french, and my buddy is sending me one from Tamar island, on Temagami.  Water access in sepetember isn't super ideal to me.

Gordy, those places are both water access?  My buddy's boat has a 60, and I've got an 80, so were not bad there.  I'll get there first. :)

Yes both are water access 

You launch at the Montreal river and then trailer around a dam to get into Lady E.  Ellen Island for sure has a bring your own boat price not sur about Island 10.   Pretty sure if you search you will find a few threads here for Lady E.  Camping is also an option.  

Cheers 

Gordy