Travel rod recommedations

msp

Hello everyone.

Hope you guys are having a good start to the new year.

I will be planning a trip to Mexico in late March and was wondering if anyone has any good recommendations for a travel rod. Possibly a 3 Piece spinning rod.

I would be pairing it up with a 3000 series spinning reel with 20# power pro.

Recommendations for tackle to bring and any vendors to purchase a rod ( that wont break the bank ) would be greatly appreciated

Thanks,

For flying on a commercial airline, they ding you pretty hard for a big rod tube. I saw a guy do this so I tried it last September and it worked- bring 2 piece rods broken down (I had 5), not in a tube, just held together with electrical tape. They let me carry them on and put them in the overhead compartment, no charge. 

Just an option to save you from having to buy a travel rod.

I've looked for a decent spinning travel rod and only one I found was a 3 pcs St.Croix that I borrowed from a buddy. I have taken a rod tube as well and as long as you are under or meet your weight limit for your total check on luggage you will have no extra fee. My fly rods fit diagonally in my suitcase so I'm good there. I have been several times to Mexico and am going again this year for bones on the fly!!! Awesome

This is actually a 3 piece rod but sold with 5 pieces.  One butt end, plus two mid sections and two tips.  Combining different pieces gives you different actions and strengths.  It's a great rod actually,  Fenwick has a solid reputation in the industry as well. I have used it in Costa Rica on the salt and, NWT/Nunavut for lakers and char.  Cast, jig, whatever.  Hooked what was probably a big rooster off the back of a catamaran that spooled out my 50lb PowerPro on a 4000 series in seconds.  The rod bent right into that fish it held until the line was gone.  Many of the bigger char caught in Nunavut Nomad 1 were played out on this stick.  On a trip it's great to have those two extra pieces as back-up as well.  Accidents happen, and Fenwick has that covered with those extra that make sense and have purpose.  Right now, SAIL has this rod same on clearance...

https://www.sail.ca/en/fenwick-canne-a-lancer-leger-methods-pack-7-pi-m-mh-5-pieces-384501 

31 minutes ago, Moosebunk said:

This is actually a 3 piece rod but sold with 5 pieces.  One butt end, plus two mid sections and two tips.  Combining different pieces gives you different actions and strengths.  It's a great rod actually,  Fenwick has a solid reputation in the industry as well. I have used it in Costa Rica on the salt and, NWT/Nunavut for lakers and char.  Cast, jig, whatever.  Hooked what was probably a big rooster off the back of a catamaran that spooled out my 50lb PowerPro on a 4000 series in seconds.  The rod bent right into that fish it held until the line was gone.  Many of the bigger char caught in Nunavut Nomad 1 were played out on this stick.  On a trip it's great to have those two extra pieces as back-up as well.  Accidents happen, and Fenwick has that covered with those extra that make sense and have purpose.  Right now, SAIL has this rod same on clearance...

https://www.sail.ca/en/fenwick-canne-a-lancer-leger-methods-pack-7-pi-m-mh-5-pieces-384501 

I also would suggest looking at the methods series.

When I went to NWT last year I put a 2 piece with reel in a plastic travel tube. I couldn't find the end that balloons out to fit the reel so I duct taped a maxwell house coffee can over the end.Then I taped/zip tied it to my suitcase. Looked super redneck...my wife pretended not to know me

The rules read that if its attached to your tackle box there is no extra charge other than regular luggage.

I was prepared to say the suitcase was my tackle box but nobody said anything.

After I got home I found the regular end of the tube case

The fenwick will suit you just fine.  My two cents would be to bring a reel that holds the most line it can with a decent drag system. Salt water species are a different beast and can peel line in a blink of an eye if you tie into a good one. 

First time in Florida with my Canuck set-up got spooled by a medium-sized Jack that left me speechless, even the small ones will test you.  Also, heavy mono or floro leaders, them teeth will slice right though braid like butter.  

I've bought some of these type of rods from 6' to 12'.

Carbon fibre telescopic rods off "E Bay" from Hong Kong & China.

Although I've yet to put the 12' to the test the smaller ones have stood up to some good fighting fish.

Even the 12' one will fit in a suitcase.

Price is right.

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Portable-Carbon-Fiber-Ultralight-Travel-Telescopic-Fishing-Rod-Sea-Spinning-Pole/131974199963?hash=item1eba467a9b:m:m3hFaKcJkYQF_qp4oZEzmzQ