Simcoe laker operators?

AKRISONER

2 minutes ago, misfish said:

The rain will do nothing. It,s the big snow fall they are calling for that bothers me. Going to cover alot of danger spots.

im letting the operator do the navigating, i wouldnt dare venture out on simcoe without knowing what the heck im doing...

On 1/8/2018 at 7:39 PM, AKRISONER said:

Short notice, and I have no idea

are any of the operators on simcoe out on the laker grounds yet? And if so, any recos?

i know guys are out there but it might be on a minimal amount of ice.

hoping to go this sunday

Looking forward to your report.

report is a total skunk for basically everyone at Bear point...probably wont bother with ice fishing simcoe ever again. There's better fishing to be had elsewhere without the ridiculous crowds...I had just left Pointe Au Baril that morning, i would have rather gotten skunked out on the ice without a soul in sight than set up in a hut village and get skunked.

Bah, that cold snap shut all the fish down, nothing you can do about it.   It's not like everyone was smashing them and you weren't :)  It's all about the timing.    Simcoe is probably one of the best laker/whitefish fisheries in this province.  What's scary is that it easily supports all the fishing pressure which is pretty impressive if you think about it.

8 minutes ago, BillM said:

Bah, that cold snap shut all the fish down, nothing you can do about it.   It's not like everyone was smashing them and you weren't :)  It's all about the timing.    Simcoe is probably one of the best laker/whitefish fisheries in this province.  What's scary is that it easily supports all the fishing pressure which is pretty impressive if you think about it.

thats fair bill..

I will outright state this here, there is nothing wrong with the operator at all guys. I'm not pinning the skunk on them what so ever, Bear Point were 100% professional, organized and nice guys. Their huts were warm and clean, the transport in and out was fast and efficient. I would say as a word to the wise, if you plan on jigging I would not put more then two guys into the hut as we tried three and our lines continuously got tangled.

Steve, if you read this thread, my buddy jake and I happened to talk to Callum for an hour when he came by to shovel some snow on our hut...super nice guy, that was probably the highlight of my fishing day hahaa.

Bit of salt on the wound, i dont know if its the cold weather this year but ice fishing has been a total struggle this year. I havent caught a fish since before christmas...i dont know what the heck is going on but nothing seems to be working. Ive probably marked at least 30 fish and not a single one has taken the various baits ive presented. Im lost.

Simcoe takes years and years to get the hang off..   And when it's dead, it's completely dead.  You need to run and gun hard some days.

But once you get dialed in, it can be an amazing lake!  Lots of fish being caught at our spot yesterday.   There was half a dozen fish caught around us in the morning before we even put our hut up!  

3 hours ago, AKRISONER said:

thats fair bill..

I will outright state this here, there is nothing wrong with the operator at all guys. I'm not pinning the skunk on them what so ever, Bear Point were 100% professional, organized and nice guys. Their huts were warm and clean, the transport in and out was fast and efficient. I would say as a word to the wise, if you plan on jigging I would not put more then two guys into the hut as we tried three and our lines continuously got tangled.

Steve, if you read this thread, my buddy jake and I happened to talk to Callum for an hour when he came by to shovel some snow on our hut...super nice guy, that was probably the highlight of my fishing day hahaa.

Bit of salt on the wound, i dont know if its the cold weather this year but ice fishing has been a total struggle this year. I havent caught a fish since before christmas...i dont know what the heck is going on but nothing seems to be working. Ive probably marked at least 30 fish and not a single one has taken the various baits ive presented. Im lost.

exactly a week ago, when the temps were really cold, we caught only 5 perch with 3 of us fishing with Tim Hales ice huts. That is equivalent to being skunked lol.  On a positive note, my 2 friends said they had the best nap ever while sitting in the middle of Lake Simcoe :D

5 hours ago, BillM said:

Right on Bill.

AK, sorry you got skunked, but you were on one of the best grounds in the bay. When they are on, you would of had a great day. I fished all weekend .The warm spell we had before, the fish were on the feed. Then the cold snap came again. Caught fish, but it was a tough one. Simcoe is a beast. It can be tamed though. Just need to put time in. Dont forget. You were in a permy. You got what you got without being able to move around. Well you could of. Nothing stopping you from going for a walk with a auger or a spud and search the area you were on. Callum is a great young fella. I hope you learned a bit from him.

On 1/15/2018 at 2:38 PM, NAW said:

Simcoe takes years and years to get the hang off..   And when it's dead, it's completely dead.  You need to run and gun hard some days.

But once you get dialed in, it can be an amazing lake!  Lots of fish being caught at our spot yesterday.   There was half a dozen fish caught around us in the morning before we even put our hut up!  

sounds like i should have just given you a call nick lol

On 1/15/2018 at 5:30 PM, misfish said:

Right on Bill.

AK, sorry you got skunked, but you were on one of the best grounds in the bay. When they are on, you would of had a great day. I fished all weekend .The warm spell we had before, the fish were on the feed. Then the cold snap came again. Caught fish, but it was a tough one. Simcoe is a beast. It can be tamed though. Just need to put time in. Dont forget. You were in a permy. You got what you got without being able to move around. Well you could of. Nothing stopping you from going for a walk with a auger or a spud and search the area you were on. Callum is a great young fella. I hope you learned a bit from him.

We actually got so desperate that this is exactly what we did....we brought out or pop up and moved out of shanty town to try mark some fish...marked a few but nothing would bite all day. Id say in total we marked close to 10 fish? Probably whiteys the way they came up from bottom.

On 1/15/2018 at 4:38 PM, huzzsaba said:

exactly a week ago, when the temps were really cold, we caught only 5 perch with 3 of us fishing with Tim Hales ice huts. That is equivalent to being skunked lol.  On a positive note, my 2 friends said they had the best nap ever while sitting in the middle of Lake Simcoe :D

lmao jesus thats hurtin...i dont even really count perch as catching...so this is even more brutal lol