Dodge 1500 Diesel Has Competition

DRIFTER_016

Hi all, I'm new OFC and looking forward to contributing. 15 years ago that news from Ford would have exited me but today it's clear that governments across North America are trying to phase out diesels with strict emission standards and heavy tax on diesel fuel. Today's diesels imo have lost all incentives that made me buy diesels 20 yrs ago, expensive option, expensive to fix and they really have lost fuel economy especially in the larger classes. 

Yeah I knew this was coming in 2018 about a year ago. I think that depending on how close the price is to the HD truck it may be attractive to those pulling trailers up to say 8 or 9,000# (either work or recreational). Be interesting to have a drive. 

10 hours ago, Jmeyer said:

Hi all, I'm new OFC and looking forward to contributing. 15 years ago that news from Ford would have exited me but today it's clear that governments across North America are trying to phase out diesels with strict emission standards and heavy tax on diesel fuel. Today's diesels imo have lost all incentives that made me buy diesels 20 yrs ago, expensive option, expensive to fix and they really have lost fuel economy especially in the larger classes. 

Diesel isn't going anywhere.   I think some people forget that trains and transport trucks use diesel fuel :)

Let's hope this isn't a disaster like the original EcoBoost.  If Forst is smart, they'll use another company to supply the engine (Like GMC does with the Duramax and Dodge does with the Cummins)

8 hours ago, BillM said:

Diesel isn't going anywhere.   I think some people forget that trains and transport trucks use diesel fuel :)

Let's hope this isn't a disaster like the original EcoBoost.  If Forst is smart, they'll use another company to supply the engine (Like GMC does with the Duramax and Dodge does with the Cummins)

Its the same company that makes their big power stroke...they simply created a v6 version of it...it might be ok

Diesel engines arent going anywhere, nearly every single car in europe is diesel. North american mindset is to think we are the centre of the universe. Dont forget that not only is the diesel car/truck more efficient, the process to create the fuel is also more efficient than refining gasoline.

Also i can agree that emission standards are tough, however an EGR bypass basically fixes any of the common diesel plug up issues that seem to be messing up these newer emission friendly diesels.

Edited by AKRISONER

21 hours ago, Jmeyer said:

The USA hasn't raised federal fuel taxes since 1993, my gas powered cars had to have catalytic converters on them long before heavy trucks did.