Baptiste Lake cottage purchase?

Muddy

Hello all! A new member and wanted to seek some expert advice. Thinking of purchasing a cottage  on Baptiste Lake. I’ve read some really discouraging forum posts over the last week or so about the fishing on this lake. I do understand the pike population has risen and therefore the muskies have dwindled and number, but with the three chain Lake situation and lots of great structure I couldn’t imagine the fishing being as bad as some people are saying? Hey, I am good with LMand SM bass and some pike. Not a huge walleye guy. I have read some excellent posts here and Look forward to some great fishing discussions with everyone over the coming years thanks 

Right I get that from the posts that I’ve read. I have a mate whose dad has a place there. Always raves about the lake. Been a man without a boat or place to fish for a decade so stoked about opportunity.  My family will love the lake to swim, hang out, but I need to fish!  I just have a veto if fishing is crap. There are so many lakes that are depleted. This type of lake I am familiar with in terms of cover, so feel confident I can always find some heavy slop Largies and so am/pm top water smallies. Got TIL later this week to accept! 

If its any consolation I bought a cottage last year on a lake I had never fished in an area I had never looked at before! Just asked a few neighbours and trusted their opinion. Even if it did suck...cottage life has so much more to it than fishing so I wasn't too concerned. Can always trailer to the next lake 4 minutes away, or the one 8 minutes away etc. Good luck with the purchase I hope it all works out great...ours did! Some times you just have to take a bit of a gamble, and the way cottage  prices continue to escalate I would take that gamble now

Right I get that from the posts that I’ve read. I have a mate whose dad has a place there. Always raves about the lake. Been a man without a boat or place to fish for a decade so stoked about opportunity.  My family will love the lake to swim, hang out, but I need to fish!  I just have a veto if fishing is crap. There are so many lakes that are depleted. This type of lake I am familiar with in terms of cover, so feel confident I can always find some heavy slop Largies and so am/pm top water smallies. Got TIL later this week to accept! 

I'd buy there in a heartbeat. Access to lots of water and close to Algonquin and other parks. Far enough away from big cities to keep riff raff down. If anyone is into whitewater paddling, the Madawaska is a stone's throw as is the Ottawa. Then there's the Wilno Tavern a short drive away. Perogies !

As others have alluded to, there's more to life than tight lines when buying a cottage. A diverse fishery is icing on the cake imo. good luck !

Edited by woodenboater

43 minutes ago, woodenboater said:

Far enough away from big cities to keep riff raff down.

So are you saying folks who live in big cities are riff raff ??

If so, that's a pretty ignorant comment, doncha think ??

nah, I'm from the city and *some* visitors tend to bring city attitudes to the country ;)  I have a acreage up north and the town vibes are not the same as the city from what I've learned over the years. When they head out for a weekend away, they forget that some people live there year round and often times treat it as the time to get smashed, same thing one sees in provincial parks. so maybe riff raff is strong but citiot, as some call them, is just as bad. hope you see where I'm coming from Lew and meant no offense to the majority of city dwellers :)

edit- also think the term riffraff has morphed over the years and is less loaded today and not meant to describe one who is disreputable.

Edited by woodenboater

I fished this lake 7 or 8 years ago and smashed bass!  I have always heard great things about it.  Had a friend stay on it last year and said they caught good fish every day but had to work for them.  There is tons of structure on this lake so the fish are there.  I also think there is a restocking program on that lake that was succeaful.  Not sure if it is still happening though.  

Cheers!

I grew up fishing this lake. It used to be much better but isn’t that true with any lake? Musky is tough there, as is walleye. Even the bass fishing has gone down hill. It’s become a very popular lake so it’s not very quiet in the summer. 

Having said that, it’s a beautiful lake with many different parts to it for a relatively small lake plus in connects to elephant so it will take a long time to fish every spot once and figure it out. You’re not as likely to get bored. There’s also lakers in there too if you’re into that. 

1 hour ago, lunkerbasshunter said:

I fished this lake 7 or 8 years ago and smashed bass!  I have always heard great things about it.  Had a friend stay on it last year and said they caught good fish every day but had to work for them.  There is tons of structure on this lake so the fish are there.  I also think there is a restocking program on that lake that was succeaful.  Not sure if it is still happening though.  

Cheers!

There were some walleye stocked in the lake around year 2000.  It was done by a private individual who raised funds to purchase the walleye.  I am not aware of any stocking since then.  From what I hear, walleye are still hard to come by.

I think its a great area to have a cottage. I had a place in wilberforce for almost 30 years. Love that country. 

The fishing has gone downhill everywhere, but there are still fish to be caught. The nice thing with baptiste is you have elephant, and benoir all connected together. Its great. TONS of pike, I mean tons. Walleye are there too, but you will have to figure them out. 

There used to even be lakers in there. 

Thousands of other great lakes within a short distance too. I'm sure you will love it. 

S. 

You need to weigh the pro's and con's and go from there. We bought on Erie 22 years ago. Mostly because of close location where we lived, we could commute to work. I knew there were fish in this lake but,,,,,,,,,, had I known you can sit on the deck and watch the Smallies, Carp and Gar spawn white having a brown Pop in the spring I might have paid more. Good luck for where ever you decide to hang your hats. I see a boat in your future. It is very frustrating knowing there are fish to be caught but no way to get to them.

Spent a lot of time on Baptiste and surrounding lakes. If you're looking for good fishing, stay away. Hammer handles all day... Bass used to be great but that was 15+ years ago.

Some decent backwood lakes around but they aren't the easiest to access at certain times of the year by your standard vehicle due to flooding and lack of maintenance. If you're into adventure and 4x4 into lakes, you'll have a field day. BUT there are cheaper cottages to be bought for this purpose -- look for a cottage on a smaller lake and you'll save yourself at least $50000 and still have access to these 4x4 trails. That southern Algonquin entrance is so over-used and abused that it's personally not an attractive backcountry canoeing destination. 

That's my 2 cents solely from a fishing perspective. The lake is beautiful albeit more crowded these days than when I grew up on it. But it is not a fisherman's paradise, nor are the attached Benoir and Elephant lakes.

Edited by jayess

I was at a cottage on Benior this past summer helping a friend work on the cottage. I did not fish, so I can't help there, but I can say that I have never been in a more crowded cottaging situation in my life. Most of the cottages were empty, but it was still a very busy place.

HH

3 hours ago, jayess said:

Spent a lot of time on Baptiste and surrounding lakes. If you're looking for good fishing, stay away. Hammer handles all day... Bass used to be great but that was 15+ years ago.

Is having too many hammer handles a bad thing? I would think those little Pike may become big Pike someday. Is there a difference between hammer handles and a standard Northern? No, Pike aren't good for Bass guys but for diehard Pike guys Bass are bait fish.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

HI 

I spent summers on Baptiste as a kid fishing every day almost, been back a handful of times over the years, always a good mixed bunch of fish.

Its a great Lake you can catch walleye, - troll the deep weed line on the south shore in front of the old Birch Cliff cabins early and eve always get a few.

Lake Trout - almost anywhere in the main basin  run baits at 55 feet along points and the steeper breaks - you'll get bonus Muskie as well.

Largemouth Bass in secret bay - monster largemouth in N corner of Dog Bay

Smallies everywhere - try the Rock fall cliffs in the east bay

Go up to Elephant for miles of topwater action , bass pike, muskie, hybrids,- 

Not sure if they are still there but we used to catch huge lake whitefish at dusk in Dog Bay just off the deep point on the north as you enter the bay., 

You could fish every day and only tap a tiny percentage of angling opportunities on Baptiste.

GL MIKE

I have always had good luck fishing this lake.  Lots of fun and never seemed to be much competition for spots.

I even won a bass tournament there when they were holding them.  However, many of our bass came out of Elephant lake.

I don't think it would be a mistake to purchase a cottage on this lake. Just my opinion.