Ice fishing yet on Chemong/Buckhorn/Pigeon lakes?

KawarthaAngler

Was looking to go out with a friend this coming first weekend of January 2018.  We live on Buckhorn lake.  I've seen some huts out on the ice. 

I was curious if anyone here has been out fishing yet on the Tri-lakes?  What is average ice thickness?  How thick should the ice be for ATV?

Thanks,

Adam

Edited by AdamWoodhouse

I know the water flow/current of Upper Buckhorn and Chemong well.

I've seen the huts get setup these past 1 - 2 weeks just off the Bridgenorth Causeway ... from Rotary park.  So assuming ice is at least 5 inches but was curious if anyone has been out and what they experienced in ice depth.  :)

Edited by AdamWoodhouse

On 1/8/2018 at 4:07 PM, AdamWoodhouse said:

On the area of Chemong I was on ... ice was approx 10 inches.  It is a location where there isn't any current.

Seems like ill be skipping out on rice and hitting chemong

but then again i havent fully made my mind up!

This is the common spot to access one of the ice fishing spots on Chemong.

It isn't a very far walk to the weed edge/drop off area many people ice fish.

When we were on the ice a week ago (before the warm spell we've been having) a fellow drove by our hut in his truck.  A bit risky for my liking, but he did fine.  Listening to the ice constantly crack as he drove by was .... unnerving.

1 hour ago, AdamWoodhouse said:

This is the common spot to access one of the ice fishing spots on Chemong.

It isn't a very far walk to the weed edge/drop off area many people ice fish.

When we were on the ice a week ago (before the warm spell we've been having) a fellow drove by our hut in his truck.  A bit risky for my liking, but he did fine.  Listening to the ice constantly crack as he drove by was .... unnerving.

thanks for the help bud!

Yeah i have shore fished this spot in the spring and fall for crappies

ive never ice fished it tho when walking out should i keep to the left or right?

or just stay close to the huts that are already out there?

was looking at it on the navionics app but im not to fimilar with the app

Edited by DJGeneral

Just walk straight out from the parking lot to the huts.  There are many tracks on the ice/snow already (at least there was before this warm weather and melt).  

It would be approx 10 min walk to the common place huts setup.  The huts are typically a few hundred feet from the closest shoreline.

I don't think there are any permanent huts out there at the moment.  But on a weekend ... there are always a few portable huts out on the ice.

Edited by AdamWoodhouse

5 minutes ago, AdamWoodhouse said:

Just walk straight out from the parking lot to the huts.  There are many tracks on the ice/snow already (at least there was before this warm weather and melt).  

The huts are typically a few hundred feet from shore ... so not very far from shore.

I don't think there are any permanent huts out there at the moment.  But on a weekend ... there are always a few portable huts out on the ice.

Thanks man!

Ill be out there on Sunday!

My buddies driving down from montreal so i wanted to show him a good time

but hey thats why they call it fishing lol

some days are hit and miss i told him

Edited by DJGeneral

Shouldn't be posting google map locations like that. These forums are read by hundreds of people all over that don't have accounts. That spot could have 100 cars in it tomorrow now.......

PM people this information, or give general ideas. don't post maps and google map locations like that. 

56 minutes ago, AdamWoodhouse said:

The nice thing about this location is you are in town, so restaurants, bathrooms and Tim's, etc are either a short walk or very short drive.

yeah thats always a bonus

might wanna edit youre post bud sorry i got you in to trouble!

We ask that we only share general locations here on the board. If you want to share a specific spot please do it in a private message to the other person. This is especially important in the winter where fish tend to pod up and are easily overharvested if to many people fish the exact spot. 

Thank you 

Art

On 1/12/2018 at 6:13 PM, lew said:

Just an FWI Art, but Adam wasn't giving anything away in his posts, that location is very accessible and well known to just about anyone in the area winter or summer.

Yes he did give away plenty of information, Lew. I have seen it so many times now where a simple reply on this very board has caused a major increase in anglers in a specific area, and it has happened here as well. You'd be surprised If you actually ice fished there. 

Posting any exact spot is a huge NO-NO. I won't even post a fish pic here any more. 

S.