Sold my boat. Now what?

tomkat

So I sold my boat as I wasn’t using it enough I guess it’s back to rentals. So I was wondering if any resorts or marinas in the Kawarthas offer any boats a bit better than the usual 14 foot with 9.9? On the one hand I am kinda bummed I sold the boat on the other hand the no storing or towing fishing trips do have some appeal. I say that now but my tune may change the first time I spend the day in a rental lol! A resort on Lovesick has the wooden boats and I hear people like them so I will give them a try. A rental with flat floor and bow mount electric would be nice if that is an option anywhere?

Not sure if it's an interest or an option for you, but give some thought to a fishing kayak. It's easy to throw in the back of my pickup and it's way more fun to fish from than my boat. So much more that I'm selling my boat in spring. I was on the fence because I wanted to keep it but I'm paying to store it and I don't use it enough. The kayak made it an easy decision.

I still have my 14ft tinny with a 15HP....but I use it less and less every year.  At the cottage I have found so many good shore fishing spots that I never even took it up there this past summer. Have really gotten to enjoy jumping in the car in the morning or after supper in the evening and driving less then 10 minutes...fishing for  2-4 hours and then heading back home.

Tomkat maybe you have shore opportunities close by for yourself as well. Give it a try if you do...you might end up enjoying it as much as I do.

20 hours ago, tomkat said:

I thought about the kayak. I wasn’t sure how much I would like fishing from one. Good exercise though!

The kayak as is blast. I have a 2 person sit on top, I put 2 captains chairs and a 30lb min Kota. Whole thing cost less then $1500. And you can fish so many spots the big boats can't. 

Highly reccomend. 

Brian will try and sell you on a Toon. 

Also so I think you can rent a pontoon boat on little lake. 

Edited by jerpears1

On 12/31/2017 at 12:21 PM, tomkat said:

So I sold my boat as I wasn’t using it enough I guess it’s back to rentals. So I was wondering if any resorts or marinas in the Kawarthas offer any boats a bit better than the usual 14 foot with 9.9? On the one hand I am kinda bummed I sold the boat on the other hand the no storing or towing fishing trips do have some appeal. I say that now but my tune may change the first time I spend the day in a rental lol! A resort on Lovesick has the wooden boats and I hear people like them so I will give them a try. A rental with flat floor and bow mount electric would be nice if that is an option anywhere?

I sold mine for the same reasons; not enough time to get it in the water. I actually sold it to a member here on the board. When I see a picture of it, I have regrets; but am happy its being used. If I had to do it again, I wouldn't have sold. At the time it made sense too; but I have missed out on so many opportunities to spend a day on the water. As soon as I can financially; I'll be springing for another of my own. As for the rentals at the lodges or lakes; there's usually a selection. 14 footers with 9.9s or a full blown multi species boat with all the toys. The pricing also reflex's what you rent. This coming year on our trip to Elk Lake, we're going to try a pontoon? Never fished from one, with 4 guys before; but the experience will help me, when I do decide to buy another fishing machine.

Dan.   

I have no idea what is in your area, but here in Ohio there are a number of bass fishing clubs, some have boat owners and non boat owners. The boat owners in one of the ones I was in would draw before a tournament for a non boat owner partner, even if bass fishing is not your primary interest it opens doors to meet people and find other fishing opportunities.

A lot of people can't afford or justify the expense of boat ownership, especially a 60+ mile an hour bass boat. It's also a good way to learn how other people fish, the methods they use and destinations they chose.