What to do if your boat flips over?

LostAnotherOne

Hey guys.  I know were months away from throwing the boat in the water, but this is just something I've thought of and was hoping to get some of your expertise or better yet experience.  I have a 14' aluminum and have hit some choppy waters over the years.  Came close once, but somehow got lucky. 

What the above said for sure.  Pay attention to marine weather forecasts, they sell cheap receiver radios.  Let someone know where you're going and return time.   If it's borderline bad,  I'll err on the side of smart.  I could tell you a story of a bunch, probably 6-7 boats that went out during the Owen Sound Spectacular about 6 years ago.  Flat calm sunny afternoon that turned into something like the perfect storm movie in a very short time.  Poo pooers that didn't believe the forecast.  

16 hours ago, Cosmos said:

Cant give you a good advise - i am trying to stay out of water if it's rough. 

When i am fishing alone - i always wear pfd with tether cable from my outboard attached to it.

I hope other members can help.

That's good advice right there. 

Next would be to confirm that if the boat does flip or become swamped; it doesn't dive like a shovel to the bottom. If unsure add more flotation to the boat. 

Pods

Like these examples or you could easily make something along these lines yourself.

Dan.

Thanks guys.   I know about staying off choppy waters and all that safety stuff but i was just wondering if the boat does flip over is there a way to flip over if i get it to shore somehow.  I like the idea of putting some floats under the carpet to keep it upright instead of sinking to the bottom.  

Any relatively modern boat would have been constructed with secondary flotation as required by Transport Canada Regs.  Unless the foam or other material has been removed, the boat shouldn't sink even when fully swamped and carrying it's maximum load.   If the secondary flotation material was removed it should be replaced.  There really shouldn't be any need to add flotation if the original stuff is still there. 

4.4.1.2 Standards for Minimum Flotation

4.4.1.2.1 Buoyancy material is to be fitted that provides sufficient buoyancy to keep the vessel from sinking when it is swamped and when the occupants are clinging to the outside of the vessel, where the individual weights of the motor, the occupants, and the equipment carried in or attached to the vessel do not exceed the weights used in the formula set out in subsection 4.4.1.4.

Full regs:  https://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/marinesafety/tp-tp1332-menu-521.htm#wb84

1 hour ago, LostAnotherOne said:

i was just wondering if the boat does flip over is there a way to flip over if i get it to shore somehow.  I like the idea of putting some floats under the carpet to keep it upright instead of sinking to the bottom.  

If the boat is upside down, there's a pretty good chance there's a big air pocket helping it stay afloat too, just stay with it.

2 hours ago, G.mech said:

Any relatively modern boat would have been constructed with secondary flotation as required by Transport Canada Regs.  Unless the foam or other material has been removed, the boat shouldn't sink even when fully swamped and carrying it's maximum load.   If the secondary flotation material was removed it should be replaced.  There really shouldn't be any need to add flotation if the original stuff is still there. 

Full regs:  https://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/marinesafety/tp-tp1332-menu-521.htm#wb84

The foam can also become water logged.  Especially if the boats is often stored at the dock.  Although, I have been told that the foam used in newer boats is more resistant to becoming water logged.

My 1994 Alumacraft sank in 2008.  Prior to that, I did notice that a loose piece of foam in the bilge sank right to the bottom.

If possible, stay with the boat.  Always wear your pfd with a plastic whistle attached.  Always stay within view of shore, if your boat does go down, make your way to shore.

get some expanding foam pumped up under the seats for extra floatation. And if you want to get creative, pool noodles around the lip

waters can get rough just from boat traffic alone, can be dead calm wind, but rough waters.   Those that boat in the st Clair river can appreciate that.