Ice Fishing using 50' PVC from shore.

Old Ironmaker

I saw an episode on The History channel about the Fish and Game Wardens in Maine, of course I can't remember the name of the show. They  came across a guy ice fishing from shore. There was some open water on the shore line and the ice started about 15' from the shore. The guy had a 50' long section of about 1/2" PVC pipe. At the end of the pipe he tied a hair rig holding his bait and line to the pole/pipe. He slid it under the ice then pulled his line off. Pulled the pipe out and now he had his line and bait under the ice while standing on shore. I've never seen this set up. Perfect when the ice is iffy or you can't get on it.

Has anyone seen this or tried it. Great way to ice fish when you can't get on the ice, and no drilling a hole. I don't see anything illegal.

On a side note about this time tomorrow we should be disembarking the plane at the Miami Int. Airport. I won't go fishing until Saturday. I have a charter booked with my new Brother In Law out of Isla Mirada in the Keys for the 2nd with an option for the 3rd.  I have more tackle packed than clothing. Everything I need to wear is at Walmart. I'll bring my password with me and hopefully post some reports and pics now that I know how to.

You guys ice fishing don't forget the Sunscreen.

Sounds like a interesting concept ill check youtube to see if theres a video

was in burlington saturday my uber driver said hes also going down to florida to do some fishing

seems like they place to be, away from this wicked weather Have fun Ironmaker and be Safe!

Oh man, DJ you can't beat fishing in FLA in January. As much as I used to love ice fishing I would rather fish in 72F weather. Especially in the Keys. I have been going down there since the 70's. The Conch Republic has drastically changed and not for the better. But it beats hanging around here waiting for spring. In Florida even in residential areas all you need to do is pull over a road and toss a line into the Intercostal. You never know what you have on. From a big Peacock Bass to a Shark. If no bite, walk the 25 feet to the house and grab a cervessa.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

Yea Brian, I have done sucking up our Canadian winters I think. The family had a place on the west coast that was sold before the Real Estate crash. I could have bought it outright from my parents but didn't, good move on my part for many, many reasons actually. We have traveled almost every winter but it may be time to settle down. Besides that a week for 2 all inclusive is just ridiculous. When they say 3 or 4 star on any Island don't assume you get AC or edible viddles. I don't know who comes up with this bogus Caribbean rating system but unless you have been or someone you know has it's a crap shoot for 3 to 4 grand per person for 2 weeks. That's a few years of condo fees or taxes for a year in FLA.

Talk about cold, nothing like docking an Ore boat on New Years Eve with the 50 KPH winds blowing spray on you. At least I was being paid good  coin doing it back then. The dock was an ice rink, don't slip because it will be your last. That there is cold. Just before I retired a worker next door at Dofasco lost control of his pick up in similar conditions if I recall correctly and slid into Hamilton Bay, unfortunately he didn't survive. I was in getting a blood sample yesterday and weather filtered try again please chatted with the tech. She said she was talking with family from her home town, Ft. Francis, something like -32C Christmas day. Turns out it is the main reason she moved south. No palm trees here though, she should have gone a bit south, Windsor maybe.

We will be house hunting when my Lady is down and I will continue for a few weeks if we don't find anything after she heads back home. Hopefully we can find something in the budget. A neighbour at the old place called me a few weeks ago and said the same place we had sold for 10 grand less than we sold it for 10 years latter.

Please guys take care on the ice and be smart.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

On 12/28/2017 at 6:24 PM, misfish said:

This is Canada. The land of the WICKED . Those that are real Canadian,  take  it for granted.. Suck it up. LOL

Enjoy your trip Johnny. 

All the smart Canadians go to Florida in the winter.................there aren't too many Canadians in Florida come winter...........LOL

On 12/28/2017 at 6:24 PM, misfish said:

This is Canada. The land of the WICKED . Those that are real Canadian,  take  it for granted.. Suck it up. LOL

Enjoy your trip Johnny. 

Ill be sucking it up this weeked bud

Finally hitting the hard water had the flu for a week and then a death in the family