Fishing alone

LostAnotherOne

Since I am a shift worker I tend to fish alone. Most of my days off are during the week and none of the guys on my crew really fish.. If I wanted someone to go to the gun range with mid-week , now that's a different story.... 

21 hours ago, grimsbylander said:

What a coincidence! I'm all-night-Dave! LOL yeah right! :wacko:

I fish alone most of the time. With me, it's usually the day before when I decide to go so it doesn't give anyone else enough notice. But I'm good either way, I like the company but enjoy the solitude. I think it goes back to bowhunting where I spent thousands of hours alone. 

:D After a all day, I don't think I could do an all nighter, getting to old for that stuff.:rolleyes::D

The way I look at it, cost the same in gas if you do a half day or a full day on the water, price of gas is pricey these days.

Besides, doing a half what are you going to do the rest of the day (watch Judge Judy) I'll stay, I might catch the second bite.:rolleyes::D

I'm retired, I get up around 5 am in the morning, can't be calling people at that time to go fishing so I load the boat and 15 min's I'm on Lake Ont. or 45 Min's on Erie.

Going solo you can experiment different techniques.

But I do enjoy company on other days. 

Edited by Fish Farmer

7 minutes ago, lew said:

Jeez Dave, the days 1/2 done by 5 AM LOL

Good one Lew :D

Best bart of the day is in the morning, was up this morning 4:45 having a few coffees and waiting for the paper.

This waiting for safe ice is killing me:D

Edited by Fish Farmer

On 12/20/2017 at 8:41 PM, LostAnotherOne said:

Am i the only one who enjoys this.  Im close with my bro but hes a little bossy when on the water.  The wife loves fishing and enjoy hitting the lake with her, but our working schedules dont always allow it.  Ever since i got my first car i have always loved going solo to whatever fishing spot i choose.  Not sure why

You are not alone.

I deal with other peoples' problems all day long at work. I enjoying nothing more than popping in the earbuds, walking down to the lake to enjoy the solitude and maybe catch a fish or two. 

Some people meditate or go to the gym to blow off steam...I load up my favourite bands in my phone's playlist and toss Rapalas. 

8 hours ago, SaugaPikeSlayer said:

You are not alone.

I deal with other peoples' problems all day long at work. I enjoying nothing more than popping in the earbuds, walking down to the lake to enjoy the solitude and maybe catch a fish or two. 

Some people meditate or go to the gym to blow off steam...I load up my favourite bands in my phone's playlist and toss Rapalas. 

Curious - what bands are you listening to? Off topic I know...

Honestly I’m somewhat surprised that the safety issue is not a primary concern among those that responded. Whether you are on a huge lake or a small one, big river or smaller stream. If you can’t get yourself to safety in less than five minutes then weather conditions will determine how long you will live. I confess that my cognizance of this fact didn’t hit home until I was drifting down a BC river miles from  the remotest chance of help. Wake up call for sure. For me. 

Years ago a friend and I would rent a motel room for a week in the fall in Meaford for steelheading, the first year we went in 1 vehicle :wallbash:, after that we took both vehicles and compared notes when meeting for lunch or in the evening, guess we were both fish alone people.

edit: actually the same friend and I would fish separate boats alone with radio contact out of Grimsby all summer for salmon and trout as well, cover more water :thumbsup_anim:

Edited by dave524

On December 21, 2017 at 7:56 PM, BillM said:

I love fishing with my oldman, the older he gets the more and more I enjoy it.   I do like solo trips however.  It looks like this spring I'll be by myself hunting for big pike, should be a fun week.

I will also be solo for most of the spring pike bite. Let me know if you need a partner.

i do like being solo sometimes. Makes for a real long day tho

• 3 weeks later...

Albert Einstein was, in my estimation, the most brilliant man that ever lived. He didn't have a lab full of instruments or any assistants. He worked a shift in a patent office, and his boss let him stay late to work on his own ideas. The result of his thought experiments remains to this day the most comprehensive understanding of the physics of the universe we have.

That is undoubtedly his finest achievement, but he also understood some things about humanity. He once said "I live in that solitude which is painful in youth, but delicious in the years of maturity." I think I know what he means. The older I get, the more I appreciate time fishing alone.

Edited by Dutch01

I do enjoy fishing solo but I am very fortunate to have a few friends that I really enjoy spending time fishing with and I love sharing the experience with.

I also remember a couple of years ago and I was out ice fishing, I slipped and fell, hit my head and knocked myself out cold. I was sure glad I had a buddy with me that day because when I came too I had no idea where I was or what had happened. it took me a couple of hours to shake it off. I could have been in serious trouble had I been alone out there.