Will an 18v drill turn an 8" auger?

Shloim

17 minutes ago, Mahumba said:

Trust me when I say this, Never and I mean never use an 18v or 20v on your buddies sugar.

That just causes problems.

Roger

I guess I should check my spelling better next time! Sheesh puts an entirely different spin on things....lol

I started with just a drill and holding on, using a 6" FB3 auger, with an adapter I made, so if the auger came free from the drill chuck, it would not go through the hole.

Then I went to an 8"  FB3 . That was a lot of auger to hold with just the drill, Both videos are using an old Dewalt.

I went and  bought the Clam holder. Best $79 I spent. I have the new style. The one where you dont have to remove the chuck. Best re plan Clam did. Lots of guys that bought the first gen, could not remove the grill from the plate at seasons end. Also I now have the Millwacky gen 2 fuel brush less drill. It,s killer.  You will notice even with the plate, there is enough torq to twist my hold.

You will also notice. In none of the videos, do I push down. Let the auger just bite through the ice on it,s own.

Edited by misfish

I'm sold! Buying the plate,I'm borrowing an auger, stealing the kids sled, and also have a buddy who hasnt used his single flip up in years, have a heater, bucket, some rods and a sweet survival suit thanks to my buddy Joselyn at Angling Outfitters (Full gratuitous plug) and I think Im set and Im gonna try and go get em this year!

I just bought the clam plate and the new auger that sail has.. It is a store brand but built by rapala and uses the finbore 3 blades.. On sale for $70 to boot.. Paired with the milwaukee drill it makes for a colourful and deadly combination.. https://www.sail.ca/en/sail-perceuse-pour-peche-sur-glace-596739

14 hours ago, pics said:

I just bought the clam plate and the new auger that sail has.. It is a store brand but built by rapala and uses the finbore 3 blades.. On sale for $70 to boot.. Paired with the milwaukee drill it makes for a colourful and deadly combination.. https://www.sail.ca/en/sail-perceuse-pour-peche-sur-glace-596739

Looks like the fin bore 3 to me. Good deal. Might have to run down and get one.

I don't even have an old one without the spring yet... although I did pick up a drill with new blades and 1 person flip over sled off of a buddy last night. Need to figure out how to remove the handle off of it. Wasn't budging last night. It's a Swede bore... I also found out there are 2 can tires near me that have the drill plate in stock. Now, all I need is Misfish to take me out and show me all his best spots....

On 12/16/2017 at 9:26 PM, pics said:

Are you sure it has Finbore blades? Kinda looks that way but I don't see where it says that. Did you have an older set of Finbore to compare it to? Looks like a good deal if they are Finbore. '

13 hours ago, pics said:

Sail will be clearing out the finbore 3 and carrying their own brand. My concern was with replacement blades but they are the same ones.. Hopefully the store brand blades will be cheaper than $55.... 

To make your blades last much longer just hit each blade with one or two strokes with a sharpener/stone (I use a Speedy Sharp) after every outing to keep a nice edge. Hundreds of holes later and my Fin Bore 3 cuts as new. 

You often hear of people ruining auger blades by trying to sharpen them and that's because most people wait until their auger is dull before trying to sharpen. If you let it get dull enough to notice a difference in cutting, you'll have to try and remove too much material at once to get the edge back which greatly increases the odds of screwing up the angle on the cutting edge. This is why most auger sharpening fails. One or two strokes is not enough to change anything, but it's enough to keep a sharp edge.  

I haven't compared old vs new Clam plates. Are the newer ones improved enough to justify selling old to buy new? 

13 minutes ago, SirCranksalot said:

Are you sure it has Finbore blades? Kinda looks that way but I don't see where it says that. Did you have an older set of Finbore to compare it to? Looks like a good deal if they are Finbore. '

The one in the link @ Sail is the same color as the Fin Bore Micro, which I thought they discontinued a few years back. I have the Micro and don't recall it having the reinforcing rods at the blade end, but the rest looks the same. The price looks to be about what I paid for mine though. 

THx CH312. 

I'm not up on the 'evolution' of the Finbore with different models etc. i.e are the newer ones better somehow than the micro, or is it just one of those'new and improved' sales gimmicks?

I have sharpened my Swedebore blades and made them much better. There was a very detailed article online with instructions. The first thing it pointed out was the double bevel. I wonder if some people didn't notice that when they tried (unsuccessfully) to sharpen their blades.

So Bass pro has the clam plate on for $60 and they also have a super cheap auger. I actually bought the clam [plate at CT but im gonna go back with the flyer and get it price matched... I also bought a Rapala pro select auger. Cant wait to get on the ice!!! 

9 hours ago, Shloim said:

I don't even have an old one without the spring yet... although I did pick up a drill with new blades and 1 person flip over sled off of a buddy last night. Need to figure out how to remove the handle off of it. Wasn't budging last night. It's a Swede bore... I also found out there are 2 can tires near me that have the drill plate in stock. Now, all I need is Misfish to take me out and show me all his best spots....

I,ll show you Terrys best spots. Cant promise you will catch, but they are his best spots. BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA

1 minute ago, Shloim said:

20171218_191639.jpgOk so can tire has a Rapala pro select auger for $79. I picked in up but Sail still has the green one on sale. Is it better at all?  I didnt think so, but coud be wrong... Thoughts?

So thats the beast all assembled....also good and colourful!