Will an 18v drill turn an 8" auger?

Shloim

24 minutes ago, Shloim said:

So what's the answer? Smaller holes or bigger drills. Now it's not a cheap add on anymore....

Smaller holes.  I've pulled quite a few whities and some decent lakers through a 6 inch hole no problem.  Either that or you can invest in a Milwaukee fuel and 5ah batteries and it'll probably cost you around the price of a nice gas auger.  If it where me I'd probably just stick with a six inch drill bit, but I'm frugal so there you go.

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know if the Milwaukee M18 Fuel 2603-20 will do the job with an 8" auger? Think it has 725 lbs of torque and is the older gen model.

I tried my bosch drill with the clam conversion kit for fun and it doesn't even come close at 450lbs of torque.

16 hours ago, misfish said:

That model does not have the kick out feature. You will not be happy with it. A 6 will be no problem. I started with the 1st gen. Moved up to the gen 2. Much better for the 8".

Ok thanks for the advice. I found a used one, glad I asked first before I got it! It seems like only the milwaukee second gen fuel at 1200lbs works? Too bad it's almost the same price as an electric auger when all is said and done with the clam kit. 

Do you know any other drills that work?Although hand drilling is a good workout, it's getting tiring and the ice is just getting thicker lol.

I cant speak for other drills, but I did notice that Paul (Tybo ) was running a large Dewalt last weekend. 20volt if Im not mistaken.  When I get my 6" finbor 3, I,ll be using that. Just drill 2 holes side by side, if Im going after lakers, which I hardly do. Im a whitie guy..:Gonefishing:

15 minutes ago, misfish said:

I cant speak for other drills, but I did notice that Paul (Tybo ) was running a large Dewalt last weekend. 20volt if Im not mistaken.  When I get my 6" finbor 3, I,ll be using that. Just drill 2 holes side by side, if Im going after lakers, which I hardly do. Im a whitie guy..:Gonefishing:

I got an 8" finbor but think I'm turning into a whitie guy myself... they are too tasty. Tybo says he burnt the Dewalt in his previous post?

Anyone got any experience with other drills that work with an 8"?

Remember, that the ft/lbs that is quoted by the manufacturer is relatively meaningless.

There is no standard on how this metric is achieved.  They are just marketing figures.  One maker can realize those numbers under zero load in a lab.  Or another accomplishes it another way.  However they want to position a particular model within their other models or compared to other makers.

I have used an early Makita with a 3ah on my FB3 (8).  But I baby it.  (clear out the shavings often as I go and keeping batteries warm when not in use)  But, I also don't drill a ton of holes in a day.  Have heard many good things about the Milwaukee.

Milwaukee now has a 9ah battery and Makita has a 6ah.

The beauty of investing in a good drill is it is a useful tool the rest of the year.  Compared with a gas auger which as AB might say, is a unitasker and mostly takes up space.  And, I always bring the manual handle along just in case something goes kaput so I can continue fishing if something conks out.

Cheers,

Mark

I have the new dewalt like brian said. It is twice the power of the drill I burnt. The new one says 820 uwo{unit watts out} which in turn is a better system to measure torque.

Inch pound torque is measured at the highest stall rating and uwo is a  measurement at spin torque. What the difference is I don't know.

I do know that the new drill with adaptor will cut threw 12 inches of ice on a fb3  very well and with a swedebore 6 like butter.

I finally got to try my clam plate with the sail auger and Milwaukee drill.. Amazing combination.. About 15 holes drilled in 9 inches of ice with the battery still reading full.. Cuts like butter... 

On 12/31/2017 at 11:20 AM, irishfield said:

Sounds like an expensive hobby !! B)

I can't wrap my head around the idea of so many people wasting so much time and money trying to find the best drill for ice fishing. Just go buy a cheap Ridgid hammer drill for $200 with a lifetime warranty for when, not if, you burn out the drill. You might even be able to get a two drill combo for around the same price. Save the good drills for renovations or work where it's not being over worked and/or soaked with water and snow.

My drill is about 3 years old and I don't even use the second battery most days.

1 hour ago, ch312 said:

I can't wrap my head around the idea of so many people wasting so much time and money trying to find the best drill for ice fishing. Just go buy a cheap Ridgid hammer drill for $200 with a lifetime warranty for when, not if, you burn out the drill. You might even be able to get a two drill combo for around the same price. Save the good drills for renovations or work where it's not being over worked and/or soaked with water and snow.

My drill is about 3 years old and I don't even use the second battery most days.

I thought the lifetime warranty was just on the batteries 

Anyone looking for a 1200 in Lb torque drill for powering a manual ice auger should check out Home Depot in " Newmarket". They have a Milwaukee Fuel hammer drill / impact driver combo regular $500 for $349.00 which includes the model 2704-20 drill and the 2753-20 impact driver with a 5 Amp hr and a 2 Amp Hr battery and charger in a case. The sales guy there said it was a special combo brought in normally sold in the U.S. I don't know if this combo is available at other Depot's , they seemed to have a very large Milwaukee inventory with promo canopy set up at this store. They said there is usually a Milwaukee rep in the store but he wasn't there Thursday. I grabbed one to power my 8" Fin Bore 3 auger with a Clam conversion Plate I picked up at Sail . Just thought some of you might be considering this and might want to save some $ . Good luck!

Batteries do not like the cold, we all know that. From experience when we did construction in winter and to extend battery life was not to leave a battery in any battery operated tool when not in use. When we were building in the dead of winter the construction guys kept their spare batteries in a insulated cooler bag and when really cold they would use one of those hand warmers kept on with an elastic band or elec tape when stored. I had a good idea that actually worked. Actually on the Ryobi battery operated tools the instruction are to never leave the battery in the tool when not in use. It would suck to go out for the day and batteries die fast. Hope this helps.  

Edited by Old Ironmaker

Yep, the new batteries don't seem affected at all.  I bough the 5ah to power my circular saw and hackzall, and I've used it on the drill fishing last year and this.  I drilled more than a dozen holes to find fish the other day, then left it outside the hut for 5 hours and the battery gauge hadn't depleted a bit. I was pretty impressed.

6 hours ago, Tjames09 said:

just got this setup recently....bought a Bosch 18v drill. it only managed 4 holes before the battery died.....not sure what to think. Not much good if I can only cut 4 holes.

That's Bosch! My business is very drill oriented we have several of every type. I have a 5 year old dewalt 18v with a 20v battery adapter and 5ah battery and I've drilled a dozen 6" holes since charging last with not even a sign of fatigue... maybe it was just a bad battery????

10 hours ago, pics said:

I only use a 6 inch drill.. Doesn't say much about the size of the fish I catch but you may be surprised at what could fit through.. 

20180116_121934_001.mp4

Like a charm! I switched from a straight blade auger to a curved fin bore 3 style blade and people can't believe how it rips! Now I hope we only have huge fish pics to post!!!!

5 hours ago, Shloim said:

That's Bosch! My business is very drill oriented we have several of every type. I have a 5 year old dewalt 18v with a 20v battery adapter and 5ah battery and I've drilled a dozen 6" holes since charging last with not even a sign of fatigue... maybe it was just a bad battery????

The battery it came with was small 1.5ah battery. might be why.