Will an 18v drill turn an 8" auger?

Shloim

The difference between the Fin-Bore III style(with curved blades) and the Swede-Bore style you have shown is huge.

So much less effort required with the curved blades,   Which when using lithium battery power in the cold you want to preserve at all costs

Oh now I get it! Dang, but they are kinda curved...or is that considered straight?  I just got that 8" for $50 at CT. Sail only has the 6" ones left on sale and I'll just get one of those and return this to CT. Now this question is how much do I need the 8" over the 6"? 

15136848501551369131599.jpg

That Canadian tire Rapala drill looks an awful lot like a swede bore.. I have an offset handle swede bore that I love but with the plate I wanted something with the curved blades to make it easier on the drill.. I had a good look at the Sail drill that was out of the box and on display... the blades are identical to the fin bore... We just need ice now...

Get the 6". You can drill side by side if you want. Please just make sure you mark the hole when you leave so no one steps in it. A simple branch will do. Or if it,s a good catching hole, put a large flag on it. I,ll find it the next day. LOL

Seriously though, go get the 6" curved blade auger. You will not regret it. I hope. LOL And don't forget, let the auger do the cutting with that one.

I've used a cheap 6" auger just like the one you have bought on a drill for the last 2 seasons now. I am using a standard Milwaukee compact drill with 550 inch pounds of torque on a clam auger plate.  A couple of observations.  1) you don't nessecarilly need a 1200 inch pounds drill unless you want to turn an 8 inch.  2) you can get by with the CT adapter but the clam is much better.  I have owned both the auger plate from clam and used it last season, the year before that I used the Canadian tire adapter and made an auger stop for it. It worked well enough but the clam is so much easier.  3). The drill you are showing in your picture won't get you the same number of holes that others may be reporting, although it will cut, but I think will be best suited to a 6 inch bit.  4).  The cheap auger you've purchased will cut just fine, and I own a nils master that I could've got an adapter for.  I'm still using the cheap auger to great effect.  I can get 50 holes through nearly a foot of ice on a 5ah battery.  And yes we did do this for fun one day.  

59 minutes ago, porkpie said:

I've used a cheap 6" auger just like the one you have bought on a drill for the last 2 seasons now. I am using a standard Milwaukee compact drill with 550 inch pounds of torque on a clam auger plate.  A couple of observations.  1) you don't nessecarilly need a 1200 inch pounds drill unless you want to turn an 8 inch.  2) you can get by with the CT adapter but the clam is much better.  I have owned both the auger plate from clam and used it last season, the year before that I used the Canadian tire adapter and made an auger stop for it. It worked well enough but the clam is so much easier.  3). The drill you are showing in your picture won't get you the same number of holes that others may be reporting, although it will cut, but I think will be best suited to a 6 inch bit.  4).  The cheap auger you've purchased will cut just fine, and I own a nils master that I could've got an adapter for.  I'm still using the cheap auger to great effect.  I can get 50 holes through nearly a foot of ice on a 5ah battery.  And yes we did do this for fun one day.  

Good points Porkpie.

I miss somethings as it,s a question that has been being asked a lot the past few years. 

II went with the fuel gen 2, as I wanted to use a 8" FB3 to cut my holes. Like you say, it has  great torq  1,200 in-lbs  The Dewalt with the XRP battery did ok, but I only got 20 holes or so. When I went to the fuel gen 2 with the 5ah, I got 40+ holes through 10" of black ice.  We as well, did this to see how many holes I could get out of one battery. This was with a 8" FB3

If he goes with the XRP Dewalt battery, he will be fine IMO. I started with the normal ones. Then went with the XRP.  I was using the 6" fb3 though. I havent tried a normal flat blade auger, so saying the FB3 is the best might be an understatement  :) on my behalf, but it,s all I have ever used. 

The Fuel gen 2 is brushless and has a  1,200 in-lbs like I said. Also has a over load knock out feature. I also like the ratchet down chuck. Once it,s tighten down, you turn it back one click to lock it. Will not unleash.

When I started out with the Dewalt with the XRP and 6" FB3, I was happy. Saved the rotator cuff from swelling up. I even took it up to Nip and showed some of the byes how well it worked. They were impressed that I was able to drill 15 holes through 30" of ice with it. I actually had 7  done before they got their gasers started up. No lie.

Can we get some ice please, then we can talk fish talk. LOL

Edited by misfish

Funny, this came up. First off, if I can get 20 holes from a dewalt xrp I'm good. I have at least 8 18v and 5 20v batteries, (I'm an electrical contractor) not only that, Home Depot had the huge 20v battery on sale for a ridiculous price of $200. So I checked on amazon and it eas for sale for $89.... well they priced matched it. So not only am I good company, but I'm handy and build and wire houses.... So basically what I'm trying to say is "PICK ME! PICK ME!!!  when looking for fishing company.

Edited by Shloim

20 minutes ago, Shloim said:

Funny, this came up. First off, if I can get 20 holes from a dewalt xrp I'm good. I have at least 8 18v and 5 20v batteries, (I'm an electrical contractor) not only that, Home Depot had the huge 20v battery on sale for a ridiculous price of $200. So I checked on amazon and it eas for sale for $89.... well they priced matched it. So not only am I good company, but I'm handy and build and wire houses.... So basically what I'm trying to say is "PICK ME! PICK ME!!!  when looking for a fishing company.

Now thats FUNNY. :lol::Gonefishing:

Ok Shloim, you can follow. :Gonefishing:

Edited by misfish

Your good then.  You'll really only need a couple of batteries out there, just an extra for backup.  The only time I cut that many holes was when we wanted to see just how much it could do.  To be honest I was pretty surprised.  I've never been a 50 holes per day guy. Brian, the Milwaukee fuel is definitely the way to go for the guy looking to get into it, might as well go big if your buying a drill for the auger.  I only mentioned it because a lot of guys have homeowner drills that will work just fine if they are of decent quality.

Ok so I went back to the sail website and the green auger was now $95. So I went to Bass Pro and the Fin-bore 3 although the highest price was almost sold out. In fact I got the last 8" they had! So I'm ready to smash some fish Xmas day with NAW!!!!

Has anyone turned an 8" Fin Bore with the Clam Conversion Kit Gear Box on the Clam Drill Plate with a smaller drill? I am wondering if my CTC  Maximum 20 volt Lithium Ion drill putting out 500 inch lb  will turn an 8" with the new gear reduction box now available . It will turn my old 6" F.B. for many holes in 2-3-ft of ice no problem but barely turns the 8" F.B. I just bought  . The anti overtorque shut off built  into the batteries shuts it down every 5 sec or so. The gear reduction box would be a lot cheaper than the M18 Milwaukee .