Falling through the ice

steverowbotham

Yesterday, while doing an ice report on Lake Couchiching, we came across some very unsafe ice and decided to try and show what to do if you fall through.  Always be prepared and have safety equipment in the early season.  I try to do this every couple of years in a controlled setting.  It makes me comfortable knowing that I know how to escape properly if it were ever to happen accidentally.  Ice picks are the single most important piece of equipment I have with me, other than a float suit.  Always have a friend and always have some rope, especially early on.

Takes a brave man to willingly put yourself through the ice. Kudos.

Back in college we did ice safety training and I can honestly say it was near impossible to get out without ice picks. Should be mandatory for anyone ice fishing. Even for anyone with a float suit (or in our case we had dry suits) its still a fight to get out of the water regardless. 

Stay safe out there everyone. 

Thanks for posting that video Steve! 

Could you see any open water from shore??  

I'm going for Crappies tomorrow assuming there some decent ice on my lake.  But I am almost certain that if couch is mostly skimmed over, then my lake will have a good 3-4".... 

1 hour ago, jerpears1 said:

Takes a brave man to willingly put yourself through the ice. Kudos.

Or a stupid man. Not you Steve me. 35 years ago I decided it would be fun doing the Polar Bear Swim on New Years day in Lake Ontario. It was neither fun nor smart. If I went through today I wouldn't have to worry about drowning, I would be dead from the heart attack well before I drowned.

Please guys I know you die hard ice fisherguys are chomping at the bit to get out on the ice. Be careful, this is the time of the year you hear about lives being lost on the lakes, especially on machines.

33 minutes ago, NAW said:

Thanks for posting that video Steve! 

Could you see any open water from shore??  

I'm going for Crappies tomorrow assuming there some decent ice on my lake.  But I am almost certain that if couch is mostly skimmed over, then my lake will have a good 3-4".... 

Not sure how far north you are, I measure only 2" where I am....and most of its white ice. 

Everyone who boats in the fall/ spring or ice fishes should watch the 1hr Cold Water Boot Camp video.  Or at least the 10 min version.

Research from U. of Manitoba's Dr. Giesbrecht.

Very informative, not overly sensational but, could help save someones life.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GeP0DHImJdc

http://www.coldwaterbootcamp.com/pages/home.html

Cheers,

Mark