Ice forming fast in Haliburton

singingdog

I am 25 miles south of Lake Erie, it has been colder here the last couple of weeks than normal the last few years for December. I woke up to 6-8 inches of snow on the ground, that is probably the most I have had on the ground here the last couple of years.

http://pics.cleveland19.com/Media/26620385

Cambridge is close to 100 miles southeast of me, LOL do the animals know what the weather will be? Our news channel reported that there has been over 50 sightings of those birds the last few weeks, normal is 6?

Well it was a picture of a snowy owl, where did it go?

Edited by OhioFisherman

We were gifted another 6" of white stuff last night, now about 10" deep. More snow on the ground now than we had as a total for the last 2 years here. Used the shovel once in the last 2 years, I used the broom once last year and the guy that cleans our laneway didn't make any money from us for the last 2 years. Good for us bad for him.

When the Sun came up this morning it looked like a postcard here on the lakeshore. There was ice forming on the lake out about 500 yards. Almost gone by 09:00 now. It is going to plus temps Sunday to Tuesday but if this type of weather keeps up we might have icefishing on Long Point Bay for the first time in over 14 years. Good news for Fish Farmer and a few others including moi.

12 minutes ago, AKRISONER said:

you and me both bill...ive been waiting since we first talked about it years ago. I should have gone that year when i had the chance...hasnt frozen since.

Yup, that was the last time I got out as well.  I doubt PS gets ice this year.   Not with these temps.   Ah well, I'll fish from the boat :)

Edited by BillM

10 minutes ago, BillM said:

Yup, that was the last time I got out as well.  I doubt PS gets ice this year.   Not with these temps.   Ah well, I'll fish from the boat :)

promising thus far...been -27 three nights in a row up in Pointe Au Baril...need that to continue and hopefully by february she will lock up.

Bring it on. I have decided that rather than to fight the winter I am going to embrace it like when I skied, you can't win that battle anyway. Besides I plan on spending the better part of the new year in Florida. Today was a perfect day for winter frolics especially skiing. Exactly 0 C, bluebird skies and bright Sunshine. days that you dream of skiing. I went outside today and waited in the beautiful weather for the guy to plow the driveway. I don't want to push it and pick up a shovel. When I was a young relief Foreman it seemed all the Dock Foremen took the winters off and the Blast Furnace Foreman took the summers off. When we worked on the Blast Furnaces it was brutally hot, but 10 minutes in AC, a cold pop on the back of the neck and some cold water and one can cool off, if I got cold first thing in the morning I was cold well after a hot shower at the end of 12 hours and could ever get warm.

What a day to get on the ice or in a Sled. I hope some of you guys did.

34 minutes ago, AKRISONER said:

promising thus far...been -27 three nights in a row up in Pointe Au Baril...need that to continue and hopefully by february she will lock up.

Wind has to stay down or it won't matter how cold it is.   Wind is always the killer.  My fingers are crossed.

22 hours ago, Old Ironmaker said:

When the Sun came up this morning it looked like a postcard here on the lakeshore. There was ice forming on the lake out about 500 yards. Almost gone by 09:00 now. It is going to plus temps Sunday to Tuesday but if this type of weather keeps up we might have icefishing on Long Point Bay for the first time in over 14 years. Good news for Fish Farmer and a few others including moi.

Lake O must be pretty warm still, CHCH is reporting minus 17 C this morning, I assume that is at the airport, here along the lake we are at minus 9 C, warmer in winter ......cooler in summer :thumbsup_anim: