Lake Simcoe lake trout operators

huzzsaba

Looking to book with an operator on lake Simcoe for some lakers this winter.  Last 2 winters, i was planning to go with Tim Hales, but their laker grounds never really had safe ice for them to operate their laker huts.

Hoping this year will be different.  However, I belive there are a few operators on kempenfelt bay that did get out for lakers last year.  Can anyone recommend one I should book with?  I would like to try it out at least once or twice this winter.

Also with laker fishing, I am guessing its not catching one after the other like perch fishing.  I have never ice fished for them.  On average, how many can I expect to hook into in a single 8-4 outing considering I get out with the good operator and use the right bait.  Just checking so that I don't bring my impatient friend on this trip lol in case it is normally slower type of fishing.

Thanks

All depends on the day, some days it's double digits, some days it's zero.    My best advice is to move until you're on a school of active fish.  The worst thing you can do is sit on fish that just aren't feeding.   I'd probably hit up Ryan @ WePoundEm..   Those boys are always on the fish and they won't sit on inactive fish for very long until they're on the move.

9 minutes ago, huzzsaba said:

Thanks Bill and Brian. 

I will probably book with Donny and if that doesn't go well, try Ryan.

Check the many laker chasing videos on you tube. That will get you started. It,s the game of all games to play. Bring lots of quarters. LOL

I've fished on the east side with both Hales and on K-Bay with an operator since passed away.  Agree with either dead or exciting.  Could do better if mobile rather than the operator's hut.  Definitely trout chase both up & down, I had them come up and grab spreaders on the way down. 

5 minutes ago, turtle said:

I've fished on the east side with both Hales and on K-Bay with an operator since passed away.  Agree with either dead or exciting.  Could do better if mobile rather than the operator's hut.  Definitely trout chase both up & down, I had them come up and grab spreaders on the way down. 

Would you be talking about Clarence? Grumpy. Cannings fish huts?

19 hours ago, huzzsaba said:

Just checking so that I don't bring my impatient friend on this trip lol in case it is normally slower type of fishing.

I wouldnt take someone expecting non stop action lake trout fishing, thats just my two cents. If he doesnt understand that catching 1 laker is better than catching 10 perch then you should stick with perch lol

5 minutes ago, AKRISONER said:

I wouldnt take someone expecting non stop action lake trout fishing, thats just my two cents. If he doesnt understand that catching 1 laker is better than catching 10 perch then you should stick with perch lol

Pretty much.  

Thanks for all the replies. Hopefully last question, does the weather, daylight, barometric pressure affect being that they are so deep.

I have booked with Tim Hales for february.  fingers crossed it is safe to get out there.

Edited by huzzsaba