Anyone hoping to be on ice in 2 weeks with the forecast?

Tjames09

My main hard water fishing partner said he heard somebody drowned up north, went through the ice, but he did not know where.

We did have some good cold weather here in K-town, but the last couple days have been above freezing and there is a fair bit of snow.  Looks unlikely I will get out before 1 January - and of course there are still 12 days of bow season left!

Doug

16 hours ago, NAW said:

I was on 4.5" Saturday.  1.5" of black and 3" of fog.

But when we tried to get further out, we lost the top 3", and were left with 1.5" of black.    That's when I turned tail and ran...  back to my 4.5".

4 groups out fishing all day.  And not one single fish caught.  But it was a beautiful day on the ice! 

This makes me feel a lot better about how things went out at our place....i wasnt sure if it was where we were fishing, or if something with the weather had the bite off...i mean it was -20 and crystal clear most of the day so that could be factoring in.

Im glad i get another opportunity Friday Saturday and sunday this weekend to try get it going again.

Went out on a more northern Kawartha lake. Still 3” mostly. About 1” white 2” black. Made it about 100 yards before spud bar went through on one hit. So it’s only safe for the first 100 yards then it’s paper thin. The warm weather and rain really reversed all the cold we had.

was this today ? you are a brave man

24 minutes ago, Tjames09 said:

Went out on a more northern Kawartha lake. Still 3” mostly. About 1” white 2” black. Made it about 100 yards before spud bar went through on one hit. So it’s only safe for the first 100 yards then it’s paper thin. The warm weather and rain really reversed all the cold we had.

1 hour ago, AKRISONER said:

was this today ? you are a brave man

Yesterday. Ya its not really the most safe. Near shore is 4" and solid, but it gets thin fairly fast. I have a float suit and spud bar my way out. 

Im actually hoping that the rain yesterday melted a lot of the snow on the ice and now we have several days of cold weather could really help the lakes. 

44 minutes ago, Tjames09 said:

Yesterday. Ya its not really the most safe. Near shore is 4" and solid, but it gets thin fairly fast. I have a float suit and spud bar my way out. 

Im actually hoping that the rain yesterday melted a lot of the snow on the ice and now we have several days of cold weather could really help the lakes. 

if you are desperate head north...its been absurdly much colder north of huntsville than it has been down here. 

On sunday morning it was -25 in pointe au baril, but only -11 once i got to barrie an hour later. Not sure why the huge difference but its been substantial. We had a few nights last week that got down to -28...theres a decent amount of ice, much better than what i am hearing from down south.

3 hours ago, Tjames09 said:

The warm, wet day did get rid of most of the snow on some of the Kawartha Lakes but then some new snow fell within 24 hours. There’s a special weather statement out now for 5-10 cm Thursday night and Friday morning (Special weather statement).