Scugog Walleye

KraTToR

https://www.mykawartha.com/news-story/6142247-ministry-to-close-walleye-fishing-on-lakes-scugog/

"In an email to This week, Lisa Solomon, management biologist at the MNRF Peterborough District, said walleye were first stocked in Lake Scugog in the 1920s, and stocking continued until the 1940s. From the 1940s to present, the walleye population has reproduced naturally, eliminating the need to stock the lake.

Ms Solomon noted that data collected in the ensuing decades revealed the population was declining, and several factors contributed to that.

'A decline in the population was first detected in the early 2000s. Angler overharvest occurred during the 1980s and 1990s, but there are other significant factors contributing to the decline, such as changes to the fish community (the introduction of black crappie and blue gill), possible degradation of spawning habitat, and the introduction of invasive species.'

She added the data 'indicates that there is recruitment failure, resulting in mainly older walleye in the population. Species such as black crappie and blue gill compete with walleye for resources and black crappie may prey on young walleye.' "

There are still some real brute walleye in there. The lake will bounce back, just needs time. I don't think fishing had a lot of impact on it, but that's just my opinion. Closing the fishing isn't going to make it better any time soon. 

S. 

I did the spawning survey on Scugog. It was absolutely clear that gabion  baskets along Scugog

Shoreline would improve spawning. Walleye just don't like those areas that taper into inches of water

water and Scugog is almost 100% this way.

Ever propriety with gabion baskets had spawning walleye. The problem is MNR

hates gabion baskets.  

Does Skugog have any invasive species like Goby and Zebra Mussels? I haven't fished there in over 30 years but at one time it was one of our go to spots for day trips from Hamilton and took much fishing pressure. Close and easy to get to, then not now with that horrendous 401 gridlock.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

6 minutes ago, KraTToR said:

Do tell :)

Well lets say for about the last 20 years or so,  information became available with the simple left click of the mouse.  I put up a post and say that I caught my limit in an hour at spot Y on lake X, free parking is available at spot Z.  Not to forget, you can get bait at provider A.   Now you know why some forums don't allow specific info of X and Y anymore, obviously  a little late.   I can remember when I first found a forum around '96 or so about Lake Simcoe and we had our first M&G there, about 15 people, give or take.  From there it exponentially exploded to several boards with several thousand readers.  Misfish, Ravine Rat, Big Chevy, Lady Walleye, Tin Banger, Rather Be Fishing, etc were there.   Now if each one of us put up a post that a few more individuals each read...see how the mountain of users increases. 

23 hours ago, KraTToR said:

Do tell :)

Trent severn and water levels have played a HUGE role in natural reproduction in all the kawartha lakes. When they get it wrong, it kills a whole year class of fish. 

Scugog has zebras, and crappies now, but I haven't seen or heard of gobies.....YET. 

S. 

11 minutes ago, Sinker said:

Trent severn and water levels have played a HUGE role in natural reproduction in all the kawartha lakes. When they get it wrong, it kills a whole year class of fish. 

Scugog has zebras, and crappies now, but I haven't seen or heard of gobies.....YET. 

S. 

I wouldnt worry about gobies and zebra's destroying a walleye fishery...G bay has a butt load of both and subsequently the walleye fishing has improved because of the abundance of food. Gobies are slow and stupid, its pretty obvious that everything is getting fat eating them.

The argument about the water being too clear is also kinda ridiculous IMO...go fish a shield lake in manitoba...theres plenty of walleye doing very very well there.

Edited by AKRISONER

1 hour ago, AKRISONER said:

I wouldnt worry about gobies and zebra's destroying a walleye fishery...G bay has a butt load of both and subsequently the walleye fishing has improved because of the abundance of food. Gobies are slow and stupid, its pretty obvious that everything is getting fat eating them.

The argument about the water being too clear is also kinda ridiculous IMO...go fish a shield lake in manitoba...theres plenty of walleye doing very very well there.

Yes, an abundance of food and increased water clarity would enhance a preditor's population, not decimate it.  Look to Simcoe and the Smallmouth population.

I live on the north shore of the lake and can tell you that there are many year classes of walleye missing in the

lake seems like all the incidentals you catch in the lake are 5lbs+ no matter if your dropshotting for smallies or 

tossing big baits around for muskie they are all jumbos

Dan 

My belief is that the Trent water levels played a large part of poor year classes, but I also saw what skilled ice fisherman did (year after year) to that lake by night fishing.  No policing at that time of the night, so no slot applied to them.  Fishermen and women do have to take some responsibility on this one.

On 12/14/2017 at 11:33 AM, Fisherman said:

Well lets say for about the last 20 years or so,  information became available with the simple left click of the mouse.  I put up a post and say that I caught my limit in an hour at spot Y on lake X, free parking is available at spot Z.  Not to forget, you can get bait at provider A.   Now you know why some forums don't allow specific info of X and Y anymore, obviously  a little late.   I can remember when I first found a forum around '96 or so about Lake Simcoe and we had our first M&G there, about 15 people, give or take.  From there it exponentially exploded to several boards with several thousand readers.  Misfish, Ravine Rat, Big Chevy, Lady Walleye, Tin Banger, Rather Be Fishing, etc were there.   Now if each one of us put up a post that a few more individuals each read...see how the mountain of users increases. 

Theres some old names from the past. Dont post anymore, but still get to see them every ice season. Great people.