What’s good mileage for a used ATV?

Tjames09

I don't know if there is a good number.

All depends on how the mileage was put on.

Miles put on rail trails are far easier on the machine than plowing or mud running.

Also if the proper maintenace was done is important.

Edited by Woodsman

What he said,  some nutbars can wreck a machine in 500km.  We had a couple of 2004 450 Kodiaks at work, one with just over 10,000km after 10 years and I would have bought it.  I've seen a couple with around 3500km and everything on the drive line was wobbling and loose.   I would avoid anything with over size tires, lift kits, snorkels etc, like the plague, you know they have been submarining in the swamps, maybe even flooded the engine and all the electronics. I wouldn't touch Arctic Cats, Can Ams or Polaris either.  Yamaha, Honda, Suzuki and Kawasaki are far more reliable.  We got 2 new 650 Can Am Outlanders at work, more shop time than on the road.  Polaris are notoriously bad for cold weather.  Artic Cats, well low end of the totem pole. 

When I bought my bike I lucked in to a 2005 with 800km on it 5 years ago.  It was spotless.  That's not the norm though.  I'd say if it looks like it's been well kept and has 3500km and under you'll probably be ok.  As mentioned, stay away from snorkels and lifts, big mudders and all the kid stuff, those bikes are probably beat.  The only machines I've ever seen in hunt camp that had trouble are Polaris and Arctic cat.  I wouldn't buy either (again). My first bike was an arctic cat.  By the end of my time with the Cat, I wanted to push it off the trail and light it on fire.  Biggest POS in history and it was mint when I got it, with very low KM's.  My current bike bought 5 years ago is a Yamaha.  I've had it start instantly in -30 with winds howling across the lake after sitting for 6-7 hours.  It's pretty much bullet proof but I don't abuse it.

Edited by porkpie

Well I ran Polaris for for 17 years and never had an issue with them, in fact I hauled a lot of other makes out of the bush during that time. I worked my machines hard hauling logs out of the bush and things like that but I didn't abuse them, when I sold them I was quite comfortable selling them to friends.

As some others have said "it isn't the miles that are on it that matters, it's how they got there". Know the machine and the person you are buying it from or spend a few extra bucks getting it checked out by someone that does know their stuff.

2 hours ago, Woodsman said:

Fisherman not sure he's looking at a side by side.

He stated used ATV.

Ya, I know, Don't think looking the the back of someones head is the most fun thing for a 2 up.   Friend of mines got a Polaris RZR, brand new, didn't get far, lower rad hose rubbed through on the CV joint, loss of coolant and required a tow back on the first trip.  Another has a new Polaris 2 up, (bought early summer)  well he didn't get far either, stater went for a poop, no charging,  Finally after about 4 months they had to cannibalize one from a new machine in the showroom, parts still on back order.  Kind of makes you wonder why people buy this junk,  it must be the cheap price to get them out the door.

6 hours ago, Fisherman said:

Ya, I know, Don't think looking the the back of someones head is the most fun thing for a 2 up.   Friend of mines got a Polaris RZR, brand new, didn't get far, lower rad hose rubbed through on the CV joint, loss of coolant and required a tow back on the first trip.  Another has a new Polaris 2 up, (bought early summer)  well he didn't get far either, stater went for a poop, no charging,  Finally after about 4 months they had to cannibalize one from a new machine in the showroom, parts still on back order.  Kind of makes you wonder why people buy this junk,  it must be the cheap price to get them out the door.

I’ve owned two different Polaris machines before and had zero issues. Had a scrambler and predator.

13 hours ago, smitty55 said:

Best thing I could offer is to do a compression check before purchasing. That will give you the best indication on the engine condition.

Cheers

Compression checks can be hard to do especially on a unit with a built in decompression valve (which most of them have) I prefer to do a leak down test, that will not only show you IF there is a problem but where the problem is. You can buy a basic leak down tester on line for about $50.00, you'll need access to a compressor and a little basic knowledge (which is easily available on YouTube)

Late spring last year I bought a 2005, 700 King Quad; that's showing 12.5K on the odometer.  Serviced the bike, as in spark plug, oil change, all other fluids and install a new drive belt. Haven't used it a lot but it seems to run fine and hasn't used any oil; so for the amount I paid I'm very happy with it. Found an auger rack on Amazon, putting a set of chains on and I should be ready for the ice.

IMG_1507.JPG

Dan.

On 12/9/2017 at 9:12 PM, Tjames09 said:

Guess I should add I’m looking for a two seater so only looking at Polaris and can am haha. 

Thanks anyways though

What is your reasoning for requiring a factory two up machine? You're severely limiting your options by going this route and there are two up rear box options that'll attach to any machine to make the ride more comfortable for the passenger. Honestly, you don't see many two up machines on the trails and those who do have them don't hold onto them for very long as the longer wheelbase means more bottoming out and the stiffer suspension means you need to add weight when riding solo for a decent ride. 

1 hour ago, ch312 said:

What is your reasoning for requiring a factory two up machine? You're severely limiting your options by going this route and there are two up rear box options that'll attach to any machine to make the ride more comfortable for the passenger. Honestly, you don't see many two up machines on the trails and those who do have them don't hold onto them for very long as the longer wheelbase means more bottoming out and the stiffer suspension means you need to add weight when riding solo for a decent ride. 

After market seats do not cut the mustard when stopped on trails or roads.  They are not legal unless on your own property.

4 hours ago, Fisherman said:

After market seats do not cut the mustard when stopped on trails or roads.  They are not legal unless on your own property.

Actually quite legal off road but some trails may not allow them. Many do. Also legal on the ice.

Not legal with a second passenger only where the HTA applies. Even crossing a road with a passenger is illegal but if the passenger walks across the road & only gets on after off the road than all's legal.

ORVA has no law against them.

Depends on where you are to which act applies.

Safety can be a big issue with the add a seat boxs though. They place extra weight behind the rear wheels making flipping over backwards more possible.

They all also have marked on them "not for use with passengers". If there is an accident with a passenger your insurance will quickly bail on you for using them against manufacters instructions.

6 hours ago, ch312 said:

Honestly, you don't see many two up machines on the trails and those who do have them don't hold onto them for very long as the longer wheelbase means more bottoming out and the stiffer suspension means you need to add weight when riding solo for a decent ride. 

Not the case in my club.

We have quite a few 2-ups in our club mine included.

18 hours ago, Big Cliff said:

Compression checks can be hard to do especially on a unit with a built in decompression valve (which most of them have) I prefer to do a leak down test, that will not only show you IF there is a problem but where the problem is. You can buy a basic leak down tester on line for about $50.00, you'll need access to a compressor and a little basic knowledge (which is easily available on YouTube)

Can you give me the Readers Digest definition or a link to a site online I can believe.

Dan D, nice ride.

I don't do much ATV riding anymore, actually  twice in 3 years but if I did I would want a side by side. My wife and I took out buddies for a few hours this summer, a lot more sociable and way more fun with the communication helmets. Not much fun looking at the back of someone's head and not knowing where we are going. Safer too. When you are in the back no way to see the ditch, hill or creek coming. My riding days go back to those widow maker 3 wheelers and I'm still alive.

i know of plenty of quads that are still running from the 80's so personally I would be looking for an older style one that is less gimmicky...less ish to break. I would also stere clear of anything bombardier these days...they have gone to total crepe. If it were me id buy a yammy or a suzuki.

Doesnt suzuki still make ATV's??? The one my brother's had in the 80's still runs to this day.

Also just cause this is an ATV thread...a big F-U goes out to the guys driving quads on the snow trails lol signed a snowmobiler lol

Edited by AKRISONER

I owned a Polaris, now own an arctic cat and a can am....according to some these are the worst out there.  I have had no major problems.  If you want to be a fool, be brand loyal.  Only thing to stay away from is beaten up not taken care of units, particular models which have known issues and kinda no name Chinese manufacturers.

high kms is relative, look for a clean non beat up non rusty unit which isn't caked with mud.

and nevermind the brand loyal Bull.  If somebody got an "x" model, it would be the next best unit because they owned it.