HELP With New Lowrance Elite 7ti

tizfun

Hey everyone... I'm looking for some info or advice on my new unit as it seems to be defective out of the box ?? I just bought it and went to power it up on my dining table.. When I powered it up, it powers up ok, but then flashes off and comes back.. Then I noticed a orange line thru the screen and it clears.. This is all happening while it boots up.. Then it it says it's loading the maps and another screen comes up asking which language ? I try to press the English and nothing.. I try the little X to remove the screen and nothing.. I keep pressing at it and it finally works...

There's more... It seems really really slow... The touch screen works and doesn't work.. I touch the menu buttons to set it up and still nothing works.. it's like it's taking it's time.. I'm confused and not sure what to do.. I've contacted Lowrance today but they're closed for a meeting.. I can't even see the scroll on the right side of the screen so I can access the entire menu ???

Will they help with this ??? Could it be anything else I'm missing here... I have the Elite 5ti and it performs way better than my new 7ti.

Any help, advice, tips... anything would be greatly appreciated here..

Cheers,
Bill

Edited by tizfun

What are you using to power  it up in your house?  My HDS-9 Touch would turn on but the touch screen wouldn't work on my test station and, long story short,, the small 7.5 Ah fishfinder batteries just don't provide enough current to drive the touch units.  If you hook up the charger to the battery, use a bigger battery, or hook two small batteries in parallel they seem to work fine.  The touch screens draw a lot more juice than the regular units apparently.    

Edited by G.mech

1 hour ago, tizfun said:

Battery I'm using is a fully charged deep cycle...  I found my answer...  It's a grounding issue.. The battery has to be on the floor..  What also worked is if I plugged in the transducer or just touched the ground on the battery with my hand... Weird..  I've learned something new today..

Edited by tizfun

I recall that the unit must be grounded properly for the touch screen to work if the transducer is out of water or you are working on a bench. There is a video on the Lowrance Utube channel that explains how to run it on a bench . It seems to contravene their suggestion that running the transducer out of water may cause it to overheat and damage it. Probably best to call them. I mat still have one of the Lowrance rep's email address if you need it for direct contact.

I bought the Elite 7 Ti last July and am not really satisfied with it. I should probably pay someone to properly dial it in for me me. Not sure where to go in the Muskoka/Parry Sound/ Barrie vicinity. I have spent a lot of time fine tuning the unit and the transducer height on transom and attitude . It is very difficult to keep the extra long , heavy transducer at the same angle after using the boat for a while in waves. It gets knocked off allignment pretty easy.( It has the second generation metal mount) I purchased dimpled machine bolts to go with the supplied dimpled locking nuts they provide but still not adequate to hold it in position . I might need to fashion a turnbuckle affair to it to hold it in place and allow minute adjustments of the transducer angle. Odd that I can't see half of what I am writing in this forum window.