Power Drive or Terrova

Musky Plug

Hey fellas, since the open water season is pretty much wrapped up, I've been looking into possibly buying a new trolling motor and moving from a transom mount to a bow mount trolling motor. I've been looking at either the Minn Kota Powerdrive 70LB with IPilot or the Terrova 80LB US2 with IPilot. Besides the difference in thrust power and price and the fact that Terrova doesn't have the foot pedal is there anything else I should consider? I will be upgrading to a new boat in the future which is something I have to take into account as well. I am leaning towards the Powerdrive mostly because of the price however if it would be a better buy to just get the Terrova then I would be content doing that. Any info would be greatly appreciated, thanks.   

I've owned Powerdrive V1's and my new to me boat has a terrova.  I've also used the Powerdrive V2 on several boats as its a really common motor. The only downside to a Powerdrive v2 with ipilot  in my mind is that it doesn't have a foot pedal.  For me that's not much of a downside.  Since I've owned a GPS equipped trolling motor I've used the foot pedal maybe twice? If I where a bass fisherman it might be a bit of an issue for fishing pad beds, but I just don't do that.  You would have to decide if that was a problem for you.  For open water fishing, trolling or anchor lock the remote is amazing, the GPS even more so. It is slightly easier to raise and lower a Terrova, but having used both systems in the PD V2 and the terrova on my own boat, I don't find it a deal breaker at all.  The V2 is just not that hard to operate despite what I've seen terrova owners saying online.  Either way you'll be happy.  To me the only real major difference is if you need a foot pedal.  If that's the case spend the money on the Terrova.

Edited by porkpie

1 hour ago, Pigeontroller said:

The Terrova comes with a foot pedal, with or without the addition of Ipilot.

If you are a caster, a foot pedal is a must in my mind. I have an 80 lb Terrova (no Ipilot) on a 16 Lund and I love it!

Can you use the spot lock feature with the foot pedal or is feature used with the remote?  

Sorry, I'm pretty much a newb when it comes to bow mount trolling motors

Edited by Musky Plug

Terrova all the way. It deploys so much more easily than the power drive. The new Terrova 54" with I-pilot does not come with a foot pedal according to Mine Kota's website( cheap trick) but the new foot pedals do have spot lock.. With the Terrova you can use the i-Pilot at the same time as the foot pedal, with the Powerdrive you can't.

Edited by limeyangler

My buddy has the Terrova I pilot.  A few years old and had a foot pedal. After a few minutes this spring I was working with it like I had it for years, eezy peezie. a breeze to learn and use. I love that anchor lock thing, love it.  I want one but can't justify the cash as I don't fish small areas or structure where one is really needed. If I decide to ditch this long line trolling (not my favorite fishing method by far) on the Great Lakes or go 50/50  the first thing I do is ditch the 15 horse kicker and get me a 100lb er. I call my MotorGuide a hood ornament, never use it.

Happy shopping.

7 hours ago, Old Ironmaker said:

My buddy has the Terrova I pilot.  A few years old and had a foot pedal. After a few minutes this spring I was working with it like I had it for years, eezy peezie. a breeze to learn and use. I love that anchor lock thing, love it.  I want one but can't justify the cash as I don't fish small areas or structure where one is really needed. If I decide to ditch this long line trolling (not my favorite fishing method by far) on the Great Lakes or go 50/50  the first thing I do is ditch the 15 horse kicker and get me a 100lb er. I call my MotorGuide a hood ornament, never use it.

Happy shopping.

I use my Power Drive V2 70 lb with i-Pilot all the time to slowly pull worm harnesses on Lake Erie. Once you get the speed you want you press the "cruise control" button on the remote and it will hold that speed even if the wind picks up, etc.......also once I set the direction I press the "N" button on the remote and it will insure the boat maintains that direction also. Can't beat that with a Ugly Stick . . .  LOL

It is also great with spot lock for perch fishing on Erie. NEVER use any anchor again while fishing perch.

Because of this TM I have no need for a "kicker" on the back of the boat.

You'll regret not going with the Terrova, as mentioned smother stow and deploy, iPilot with foot pedal and built better. 

The big issue with the Powerdrive is the joke of an analog foot pedal, my buddy is on his third and you never know when its going to let you down so you have to have a spare on hand. Put the extra $s into a Terrova 

I literally just upgraded from a powerdrive with ipilot to a terrova with ipilot.

Heres what you need to know, Powerdrive V2  has no footpedal, its storage system is a bit clunky and can be a real pain in the but to deploy its controller also isnt as nice as the Terrova.

The Terrova has an assisted deploy system, its literally 10x better than the powerdrive. The foot pedal is also awesome, has all of the functions of the ipilot remote, including anchor, bearing heading and constant. The controller is also much more user friendly i find on the terrova. Extra bonus US2 capability to throw a sonar up at the front of your boat.

I also have used the terrova and the non ipilot power drive with the footpedal and make absolutely no doubts, the footpedal on the terrova is 10x better than the oild powerdrive footpedal. it drives almost like a cable drive.

Edited by AKRISONER

21 hours ago, Musky Plug said:

My understanding was you couldn’t use the foot pedal with the Terrova if it had IPilot or did I misunderstand that?

With the Terrova you can use either or..  I used them at the same time quite often.

I just replaced my V2 with a cable drive. GPS isn't such a big deal for me as much as being able to steer and gas at the same time, V2 is a point and shoot kinda thing and to add Ipilot you lose the peddle.  Call Joselyn at Angling outfitters for help. But the Terrova has a way better peddle than the powerdrive if GPS is important, otherwise get a cable steering model! besides I could never understand the point of the remote unless trolling as you need a hand and pretty much have to look at the remote to use it. 

Edited by Shloim

11 hours ago, buckhorn250 said:

You'll regret not going with the Terrova

That's what I was concerned about, spending the money on the PD and kicking myself in the but for not buying the Terrova. It seems the consensus is to get the Terrova. 

4 hours ago, AKRISONER said:

The Terrova has an assisted deploy system, its literally 10x better than the powerdrive. The foot pedal is also awesome, has all of the functions of the ipilot remote, including anchor, bearing heading and constant. The controller is also much more user friendly i find on the terrova. Extra bonus US2 capability to throw a sonar up at the front of your boat.

I read that on other forums when I began looking around that that was one of the pitfalls of the PD. Can I use any sonar with the motor? I have an old Eagle fish finder that still works. Would it be adaptable for the Terrova? 

50 minutes ago, Shloim said:

I just replaced my V2 with a cable drive. GPS isn't such a big deal for me as much as being able to steer and gas at the same time, V2 is a point and shoot kinda thing and to add Ipilot you lose the peddle.  Call Joselyn at Angling outfitters for help. But the Terrova has a way better peddle than the powerdrive if GPS is important, otherwise get a cable steering model! besides I could never understand the point of the remote unless trolling as you need a hand and pretty much have to look at the remote to use it. 

The added peddle would be nice because I fish bass sometimes as well so trying to slow fish pads or certain areas would be a pain I think with the remote. 

On a side note, since the motor runs on a 24v system would I be able to run 2 graphs (if my old graph is compatible), recirculation pump and the motor from those batteries? I have a 12V battery already and run one graph (helix 7) and a recirculation pump off and on throughout the day. Just a though, trying to eliminate unneeded weight.  

Edited by Musky Plug

First, let's clear up some stuff here.

The Terrova with Ipilot comes with a foot pedal and an Ipilot remote. The newest versions out have a spot lock button on the pedal as well as the feature on the remote.

As far as I know, the Powerdrive has never come with a foot pedal when Ipilot is installed.

Now, I will start by saying just get the Terrova. I have owned a Terrova (sold boat, bought a new one with an Ultrex) and loved it for what it was. Especially if you are planning on mounting this trolling motor on the new boat. My father still has a Powerdrive V1 and I have used a V2. neither had Ipilot installed.

70vs 80lb may not seem like a lot but the 80lb models have bigger motors in them which is apparent by the casings. The casing for the motor itself is 1 inch larger between the

two motors.

The foot pedal on the Powerdrive is not near as nice as the one on the Terrova. Plus, they have been plagued with problems in the V1 and V2 models where many customers do not get a very long lifespan out of the pedal. I also prefer the more classic design of the Terrova pedal (heel, toe use for turning with the power button at the top opposed to side to side and

power button on the bottom).

The newest Powerdrive seems to have a lift assist but the Terrova has always been easier to deploy and stow IMO.

To me, with the differences I have listed above alone, it is more than enough to justify the price difference. If you are looking to save some money, the Powerdrive will do the job,

but the Terrova will do it better any day of the week. More cost up front does not always mean a product is better but in this case, the more costly option is MUCH better.

Good luck!