Bridgenorth Causway

jimmer

I just read an article that says a bylaw was passed that will no longer allow fishing from the causeway in Bridgenorth. Anyone stepping over the guardrail will be charged with trespassing.  They will be hiring security to enforce the bylaw and provide education at a cost of $27,000 in the first year.

Those that aren't aware of this ongoing issue should know that it has to do with littering.

I think the people that passed the bylaw should walk through every ditch in Selwyn Township and see how much garbage is thrown out of cars.  Are they going to ban cars from the roads? I just hate to see shore fishing spots lost.https://www.mykawartha.com/news-story/7983427-fishing-banned-along-selwyn-township-s-james-a-gifford-causeway/

I get you point but its also a safety issue. I know most people that fish from the causeway are not the issue but some folks forget they are on a major roadway, every year I have to dodge at least 2 or 3 people that just 'walk out on to the road' 

I do understand the littering problem as well, I fish in Gagnon narrow a fair bit and every time I leave a I have pretty good pile of garbage in the boat I have picked up from the shore lines. 

I'm just trying to say that this happens on many roadways, whether it's littering or people walking out on the road while

not looking.  I see this all the time in Lindsay and would hit someone once a week if I wasn't watching or I'm picking up

some kind of garbage.  It's the same in most communities. Is it right? No, it's disrespectful.

Banning is the easy way out, but they don't mind throwing $27000 at enforcement of the ban.

The garbage will just end up somewhere else until all access is banned. See Lake Simcoe as an example of where this can head.

$27G would pay someone to pick it up for a year. I know plenty of students who would be happy to work out side, and clean up after these slobs for that money. Banning use is the way things are done. The kawarthas are going to be infested with citiots now that the 407 is coming through, so its only going to get worse. Might be time for me to move further away again. 

S. 

15 minutes ago, Sinker said:

The kawarthas are going to be infested with citiots now that the 407 is coming through, so its only going to get worse.

They arent already?

Literally every time i fish buckhorn/pigeon i see at least one thing thats worth telling people about. My last trip it was 6am and I was at a fishing spot and a dude in a wakeboard boat for no reason at all guns it at 50mph 20 feet from our boat for no reason and then proceeds to absolutely crank some really really bad eurotrash stripclub music that I can literally hear clear as day for the next 5 minutes while he drives down the lake...his stereo was so loud i could literally hear his music over a kilometer away.

The time before that I am going out for the evening bite and we are pulling up to a shoreline on our left to start fishing when a jetski rips past us on the right and then cuts infront of us (we are less than 50 yards from shore at this point) we stand up and say "what the F!?" and then buddy proceeds to drive 5 feet off of the shoreline at 50mph down the entire channel literally blowing out the entire spot...just amazing.

Edited by AKRISONER

19 minutes ago, Sinker said:

$27G would pay someone to pick it up for a year. I know plenty of students who would be happy to work out side, and clean up after these slobs for that money. Banning use is the way things are done. The kawarthas are going to be infested with citiots now that the 407 is coming through, so its only going to get worse. Might be time for me to move further away again. 

S. 

5 minutes ago, AKRISONER said:

They arent already?

Literally every time i fish buckhorn/pigeon i see at least one thing thats worth telling people about. My last trip it was 6am and I was at a fishing spot and a dude in a wakeboard boat for no reason at all guns it at 50mph 20 feet from our boat for no reason and then proceeds to absolutely crank some really really bad eurotrash stripclub music that I can literally hear clear as day for the next 5 minutes while he drives down the lake...his stereo was so loud i could literally hear his music over a kilometer away.

The time before that I am going out for the evening bite and we are pulling up to a shoreline on our left to start fishing when a jetski rips past us on the right and then cuts infront of us (we are less than 50 yards from shore at this point) we stand up and say "what the F!?" and then buddy proceeds to drive 5 feet off of the shoreline at 50mph down the entire channel literally blowing out the entire spot...just amazing.

Yep, I am feeling more and more like moving from the area lately. Those stories are regular if you live on Pigeon Lake, I rarely go out on the weekends anymore because of these examples.

However, littering is an issue for everyone to be mindful of.  The road I clean up is not a main road and usually only used by locals.  I am always disgusted after the road cleanup.

The litter problem is every where you turn.  The streets of most local burgs here in Niagara are nothing but trash heaps. Depending on how my legs are doing I pick up 500-1000lbs of pop cans a year. The numbers don't sound like much until you translate 1lb = 30 pop cans.  Shorelines are a nightmare, and No, you can't just blame the fishing folk. I know one rowing course where I can haul out 200 water bottles weekly. Then there are those wonderful drive by dumpers on the road and the water.  Just love when they pull up ahead of where I'm picking up and empty their vehicle.

I would move north to the 17 in a heartbeat if my family weren't so afraid of leaving behind their "urban conveniences".

4 hours ago, AKRISONER said:

They arent already?

They are on a summer weekend, for sure, but not too bad in the off season. That will change though with the highway coming through. We already have a bunch of GTA'ers moved into my area that complain about gun shots, and the smell of manure. Drives me nuts. The locals like the sound of gunshots in the morning LOL.....

S. 

18 hours ago, Sinker said:

They are on a summer weekend, for sure, but not too bad in the off season. That will change though with the highway coming through. We already have a bunch of GTA'ers moved into my area that complain about gun shots, and the smell of manure. Drives me nuts. The locals like the sound of gunshots in the morning LOL.....

S. 

They even call the cops when they hear the gun shots during the first duck season they move here.  It's just too foreign to them.

Idiocy is not confined to just urban dwellers, we have rural duffis' as well my friends. I don't think anyone needs to drive an hour to dump a sofa or bed in a ditch.  

If I'm not mistaken we talked about the same scenario in the late Summer or early Fall. I'm not sure if it's the same area or not.

For everyone that sees blatant boating violations or impeding someone in the act of angling i.e. Akrisoner, try and get their hull ID number. If they are that close take a pic. Some Jet Ski Cowboy out here at Turkey Point was trying to show off for all the little girls on the beach every weekend this past summer or the year before.  He could have killed a swimmer no problem. Apparently someone with a phone took several videos of this moron ripping back and forth inside the rope line where kids were swimming and someone followed the moron to the ramp and even got the licence plate number of the truck.  The O.P.P. identified the violator. I wonder how surprised he was when Johnny Law came a knockin' on his door. I would have loved to attend that hearing.

Edited by Old Ironmaker
I can't spell

20 minutes ago, lew said:

I always get a chuckle on this board when so many guys who live north of #7 somehow think they're better than city folks.

Just smarter Lew. LOL I have lived on both sides of #7 and I seemed to get smarter when I moved north. 

Moving north was the first thing that seemed like a smarter idea.  All kidding aside, I hate to see our so called free country start to ban things from the public..

I drive across the Bridgenorth causeway almost daily. 

It's rare for me to have to avoid hitting someone.  And I can't see the areas people fish from the road as I drive by.  But I don't doubt it gets quickly polluted as I've seen that first hand walking along the rocks at Buckhorn damn where people fish from shore.

I suspect those that have to fish from shore will just move to another spot.  Probably Gannon Narrows or the Buckhorn damn.  Then those spots will have the same problem, but be in a different township, thus another group of people will have to figure out how to deal with the issue.

Many would put their trash in a can if it was easily accessible.  And that trash can has to be checked every day or two so that it can be emptied.  Having a couple trash cans at the end of the causeway isn't enough for those that are lazy and/or ignorant.

I guess we'll see in 2018 how this plays out.

10 hours ago, lew said:

I always get a chuckle on this board when so many guys who live north of #7 somehow think they're better than city folks.

I remember a few years ago someone referred to some of the customers of the one of the fishing shows as "country bumpkins" and caught a lot of flack from many members on the board.  Yet, people constantly refer to people as "citiots" without a second thought.

Edited by JohnBacon

On 12/8/2017 at 10:57 PM, JohnBacon said:

I remember a few years ago someone referred to some of the customers of the one of the fishing shows as "country bumpkins" and caught a lot of flack from many members on the board.  Yet, people constantly refer to people as "citiots" without a second thought.

Bingo