Fishing gadgets you wish existed? INPUT NEEDED!

Sterling

On ‎2017‎-‎12‎-‎04 at 10:46 PM, jerpears1 said:

An Ice fishing 'net' 

I'll explain how it works. You drill your ice fishing hole (6 inch, 8 inch, whatever) then you slide this tube down the hole right on the inside. Anchors to the top. The tube could be 24-36 inches. When you are reeling the fish up and you get it to the top of the ice, you hit a button (either on the tube or a remote control) and the bottom of the tube closes up. Lift the tube out of the water (tube has water drain holes at the bottom) and you have your fish. 

I'd have a dozen or so trophie Lakers and whitefish I wouldn't have lost at the ice if this exsisted. 

I'll take 5% of the profits for giving you the idea. 

A similar system as used by pier fishermen all over the world. Sometimes the water is 25 feet or more depending on the tide below the piers. You slide the fish over the open net and pull the rope and the bottom closes. 30 foot net handles are rare. 

this is what i would build to stop fish from going back down the hole

buy a pipe style wood clamp put a rod through the pipe with a round plate on one end a bit smaller then the hole and a 90 deg handle at the other end, clamp it to the ice  with the round plate against the ice, when you get a fish in the hole you turn the handle which puts the plate blocking the bottom of the hole, sorry if i am not explaining it well enough

ice.jpg

34 minutes ago, Terry said:

buy a pipe style wood clamp put a rod through the pipe with a round plate on one end a bit smaller then the hole and a 90 deg handle at the other end, clamp it to the ice  with the round plate against the ice, when you get a fish in the hole you turn the handle which puts the plate blocking the bottom of the hole, sorry if i am not explaining it well enough

ice.jpg

Makes total sense. I really really like this idea. doesn't add anything extra for the fish or line to get stuck on.

11 hours ago, Old Ironmaker said:

A small battery powered hook sharpener. Along the lines of an electric tooth brush or Dremell tool. Small, cheap and most importantly easy to use when the boat is tossing around like a cork in the water and you won't impale the hook into your flesh. Nothing like having the exact lure they want and the hook gets dull. If they exist already please tell me were, I'll buy them all.  

Been around for years.  They have 2 models, one without the line stripper and the other with.  Both have small grind stone, works very well.  https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Berkley-1337879-Line-Stripper-Hook-Sharpener-G3-Fishing-Black-Red/381856286370?hash=item58e86886a2:g:u6MAAOSwjyhaBlnz

4 minutes ago, Fisherman said:

Been around for years.  They have 2 models, one without the line stripper and the other with.  Both have small grind stone, works very well.  https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Berkley-1337879-Line-Stripper-Hook-Sharpener-G3-Fishing-Black-Red/381856286370?hash=item58e86886a2:g:u6MAAOSwjyhaBlnz

No wonder I came up with it.

10 hours ago, Terry said:

ice.jpg

I,ll bet that hurt yer brain. LOL

• 1 year later...

I sometimes hike into lakes with no road access. Fishing from shore is limited by how far I can cast. I would love to have a remote control boat (toy sized)  that could carry my line and bait out deeper in the lake and release it where I think the fish might be lurking.

Better yet would be a boat that could troll a lure around the lake and release it when a fish strikes.I think all the techno exists but needs to be put together in one package. 

9 hours ago, Mad Scientist said:

Better yet would be a boat that could troll a lure around the lake and release it when a fish strikes.I think all the techno exists but needs to be put together in one package. 

One of these

PRB08031T2_b0?wid=1400&hei=778

Plus a down rigging release clip

6272a5390aa9448dc4125628812e903f_xvs5.pn

Put them together and your wish has come true.

Dan 

On 12/4/2017 at 8:13 PM, BillM said:

Heated guides.  I get 50% of the millions you'll make off this, lol.   I'm guessing all you'd need is some copper wire and a small battery.  

I know this is reviving an old post, the only thing you would have to regulate is the heat on the guides. Too hot and you would melt your fishing line, not warm enough, annoyed customer.

1 minute ago, Fisherman said:

I know this is reviving an old post, the only thing you would have to regulate is the heat on the guides. Too hot and you would melt your fishing line, not warm enough, annoyed customer.

Yup, voltage regulator should do it.  Keep those guides at about 50 degrees and you'll be all set.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BillM said:

Yup, voltage regulator should do it.  Keep those guides at about 50 degrees and you'll be all set.

Bill, considering the nature of the product I'd avoid the voltage regulator entirely. Best solution is to stop heating when the target temperature is reached (maybe 1-2 degrees).

6 minutes ago, BillM said:

I think you could mold your own ceramic guides, with a w copper wire buried in the center.   Each wire from each guide could run through a small hole drilled in the blank, and back to the handle where you can have a double A battery buried in the cork handle. 

There.  Design problem solved. 

Give me some money

44 minutes ago, Sterling said:

Bill, considering the nature of the product I'd avoid the voltage regulator entirely. Best solution is to stop heating when the target temperature is reached (maybe 1-2 degrees).

Problem is all guides aren't the same size or thickness.   Unless an average was take (A few will be over a few will be under) and do it that way.

Last spring I gave my genius buddy (don't tell him I said that) to run with the light weight hi R value fish hut. He told me all we need is about 200K cash to run with it. Drawings, a to scale prototype, a Patent Lawyer, a full prototype, travelling over seas to find a cheap manufacturer and then local distribution for the product oh and then an inventory to supply Bass Pro and CTC if you get a meeting and they say yes give us 10,000 for a trial run. 200 grand probably isn't enough. There is a reason some of the best inventions in the world sit in someone's basement or garage. Cash poor. 

1 hour ago, BillM said:

Problem is all guides aren't the same size or thickness.   Unless an average was take (A few will be over a few will be under) and do it that way.

That is true but the voltage regulator won't fix the problem. I would probably measure temperature at the smallest guide and call it a day. 

3 hours ago, Sterling said:

That is true but the voltage regulator won't fix the problem. I would probably measure temperature at the smallest guide and call it a day. 

That's probably your safest bet.  As they're the ones getting iced up first anyhow.