Fishing gadgets you wish existed? INPUT NEEDED!

Sterling

With the long winter ahead I've decided to put some time and effort into developing what I think would be useful/cool fishing gadgets. I have an engineering background, CAD abilities and some manufacturing connections (both onshore and abroad). Also my sister in law is from China so she can act as an intermediate if I decide to manufacture there.

I was wondering if some of you have ideas to toss my way. Maybe something you always wanted to invent but never had the time. Hate to see a good idea go to waste you know.

So far I have the following underway;

1. Diver that can be attached anywhere on the line. Similar to Slide Diver but no small parts and can be installed within seconds. I have this one 80% figured out.

2. Fixed "slider" that can be attached/removed in 1 second flat. Completely fixed, as in, will not move even when a strike occurs. Allows you to easily stack a bunch of lures. This one is 95% figured out. Going to prototype it soon.

Do you think these products would be useful? If so - what are the MUST have features for each? Let's hear it folks!

Edited by Sterling

6 minutes ago, Sterling said:

Which guides are you referring to? 

The ones where the fishing line goes through on the rod.  In winter they freeze up and then you have to dick around blowing on them or breaking off the little bits of ice so the line can be let out or reeled in.

An Ice fishing 'net' 

I'll explain how it works. You drill your ice fishing hole (6 inch, 8 inch, whatever) then you slide this tube down the hole right on the inside. Anchors to the top. The tube could be 24-36 inches. When you are reeling the fish up and you get it to the top of the ice, you hit a button (either on the tube or a remote control) and the bottom of the tube closes up. Lift the tube out of the water (tube has water drain holes at the bottom) and you have your fish. 

I'd have a dozen or so trophie Lakers and whitefish I wouldn't have lost at the ice if this exsisted. 

I'll take 5% of the profits for giving you the idea. 

Edited by jerpears1

2 minutes ago, Chuck Enwinde said:

I was talking to chris.brock's brother about this the other day lol.  

4 hours ago, BillM said:

Heated guides.  I get 50% of the millions you'll make off this, lol.   I'm guessing all you'd need is some copper wire and a small battery.  

Edited by Chuck Enwinde

Sounds like you have some fun winter projects!

I have a modular ice hut design that can be broken down in to 4 smaller (4x8) ice huts.  But they can all be clamped together with a removable wall,   That way you can have a few huts out at different spots early season.  And when you find the honey hole, snap all the huts together and it turns in to a 8x16 sleeper cabin..   Breaks down for easy transport and I can tow the smaller huts individually with my bravo or even by hand.   Snap them together in your back yard in the summer, and you have a big 8x16 shed to store your winter gear (which for me is massive between all the kids toys, and all of my toys/gear, etc.)

Just working out some of the fine details on how to clamp the walls, and where to put the holes.  How to make them snap together and have the hole orientations still work, door locations, heat source, etc...  

I have a similar one designed in Solidworks right now.. I just have no time at all to work on the design any more... 

If you need a hand with any design work, or manufacturing.. Let me know.  I work for a large fab/machine/automation shop with an extremely wide range of capabilities.. If you need any complex machining or welding, I can hook you up! 

On 2017-12-04 at 10:46 PM, jerpears1 said:

An Ice fishing 'net' 

I'll explain how it works. You drill your ice fishing hole (6 inch, 8 inch, whatever) then you slide this tube down the hole right on the inside. Anchors to the top. The tube could be 24-36 inches. When you are reeling the fish up and you get it to the top of the ice, you hit a button (either on the tube or a remote control) and the bottom of the tube closes up. Lift the tube out of the water (tube has water drain holes at the bottom) and you have your fish. 

I'd have a dozen or so trophie Lakers and whitefish I wouldn't have lost at the ice if this exsisted. 

Pretty sure that exists... I’ve seen videos I’m sure

On 12/4/2017 at 8:13 PM, BillM said:

Heated guides.  I get 50% of the millions you'll make off this, lol.   I'm guessing all you'd need is some copper wire and a small battery.  

this 100000%

it blows my mind no one has figured this out yet. Every single winter fisherman would buy it if it was small enough.

On 12/4/2017 at 10:46 PM, jerpears1 said:

An Ice fishing 'net' 

Here is one version Jer.  Looks like a tangle fest for Lakers though.

http://fishingminnesota.com/forums/topic/207924-crappie-coffin-ice-fishing-net/

Cheers,

Mark

1 hour ago, jerpears1 said:

Also a non-garbage hard ice fishing storage locker. 

It blows my mind. Soft ones large enough to fit rods and reels, then my hooks get caught on the fabric. Hard ones are only big enough for rods and not for reels. 

i honestly bought a gun case...the foam inside doesnt catch hooks and if you fold your real handles in, everything sits perfectly secure and snug inside. I even throw my plano's and other crap in it. Nothing ever moves and the stuff gets bashed around on skidoo rides through the bush. When i open err up everything hasnt budged.

I think i paid 20 bucks and it holds 4 rods plus my plano with my ice lures and a thing of line.

Edited by AKRISONER

4 minutes ago, BillM said:

Only way to roll with icefishing rods.

DaKYntql.jpg?1

bingo....if you fold the handles down on the reels mine closes no problem. even funnier is my buddy spent $100+ on an actual ice fishing rod holder and it sucks...

Edited by AKRISONER

On 12/4/2017 at 10:46 PM, jerpears1 said:

An Ice fishing 'net' 

Learn to ice fish, the ice fish, Jer. LOL

• Like 1

1 hour ago, misfish said:

Thats meant to be a live well, under the ice.

Not according to the description...

"To those who love the sport of ice fishing. We all have a story or two of the BIG ONE that got away. Now we can show the big one that didn't get away! Introducing the Crappie Coffin, the only ice fishing net on the market today. Born out of the frustration of losing that big fish at the top of the hole. I decided to go to work on a solution to this problem. The Crappie Coffin is the result of this effort. Placed in the drilled ice hole, you drop your jig down through the center of the Crappie Coffin and fish as always. The hooked fish is reeled up and enters through the one way passage at the bottom and is then trapped within the net. Also your sonar transducer will work normally placed inside the unit. No more lost fish wrapped around your transducer. Once you use the Crappie Coffin you'll never want to fish without one."

A small battery powered hook sharpener. Along the lines of an electric tooth brush or Dremell tool. Small, cheap and most importantly easy to use when the boat is tossing around like a cork in the water and you won't impale the hook into your flesh. Nothing like having the exact lure they want and the hook gets dull. If they exist already please tell me were, I'll buy them all.  

For any of you guys that need the perfect material for your ice huts/hotels get some 2" thick Sunroom wall materials. Close cell insulation clad in aluminum or a poly composite. A 4'X8'X2" (R-15) sheet might weigh 2 pounds. It also comes in 4X8 foot sheets that are 3 3/4" thick and might weigh 5 lbs each (R-22). The materials are Hurricane rated. The walls and roofs snap and slide together on a track system. Find the wall materials at Temo Sunrooms out of Clinton Township Michigan. Locally Leisure Living Sunrooms out of Burlington may source them from you locally. We made one when I was in the sunroom business for one of our guys, it was 6'X12' and could be moved by 1 person once erected. If it wasn't spiked down it would blow away and another plus is the aluminum material was fire rated as well. I think it came in at around 60 pounds including sliding plexiglas windows.  Perfect for a remote hunt/fish camp too. I wanted to go into the ice hut business back then, should a could a, might still you never know.

Please don't quote me on exact weight or R value, it's close for sure, 12 years ago.

Edited by Old Ironmaker