ermine/stoat/mink

Rod Caster

15 hours ago, JohnBacon said:

Aren't ferrets bigger than that?  

yes, much bigger, the one in the picture is a weasel/ ermine when in white winter phase, hardly bigger than a red squirrel, at least the ones I've shot when they raided the rabbit hutches as a kid.

Edited by dave524

I caught one recently in a rat trap near my chicken coop.. Not intentionally of course.. I would have to be a licensed trapper to do that.. I think the going rate at auction is less than 5 bucks each.. Hardly worth it.. 

I've had ferrets as small as 10 inches long (body) and as long as 18 inches long. They have been white (year round), black or calico. There's only one that I remember that was a biter; but he was the best hunter. Ended up putting a mussel on him before sending down the hole; if you didn't he catch the rabbit. Most of our pet ferrets would love to crawl into my snow suit and curl up near the small of my back and fall asleep. I can still remember pulling them out of my coat sound asleep;; put their nose close to the rabbit hole and they'd be awake in an instant; struggling to get out of your hand.

Dan

i was at work last thursday and my wife called and told me i was in deep cawcaw, I guess she went into the kitchen for something and there was a weasel on the kitchen counter looking at her. after calling the neighbours over and trying to lock it in a room she called me. i told her i would look for it when  I got home but by that time she had calmed down . the hall was filled with fishing nets and blankets and boxes to try and catch it with , all to no avail.

I now have 2 live traps in the basement and hopefully i'll get the little guy , 

as a side note, now the wife thinks this was funny and is off my case.

On 12/8/2017 at 12:43 PM, grt1 said:

i was at work last thursday and my wife called and told me i was in deep cawcaw, I guess she went into the kitchen for something and there was a weasel on the kitchen counter looking at her. after calling the neighbours over and trying to lock it in a room she called me. i told her i would look for it when  I got home but by that time she had calmed down . the hall was filled with fishing nets and blankets and boxes to try and catch it with , all to no avail.

I now have 2 live traps in the basement and hopefully i'll get the little guy , 

as a side note, now the wife thinks this was funny and is off my case.

Rat Trap, and wire it down to something. These guys can be a real problem. I have had a few encounters with them. Never in my house though....sheesh....I wouldn't sleep until I got it.  I hope its a small live trap and you take it for a swim once you catch it!! 

S. 

Thanks for solving a mystery of mine from last winter. I saw one of these dead on the road and pulled over to see what it was. It was definitely much smaller than a ferret and the white fur looked pretty cool. I grabbed it by the tail and tossed it over to the shoulder and what a mistake that was. The resulting stench on my hand was this strong and overpowering musky smell that stunk up the car, which I assume is their normal smell. This was a scent gland stink, not rotting stench. 

Very cool and cute little critters.