Whirlpool , whats up these days ?

misfish

Hows the fishing  and is the norm of bottom bouncing still the go to, or do they allow drifters? LOL

Maybe be hooking up with my son this weekend and would like to be prepared. If I remember correctly, the walk down IS 15 minutes, or if one cares to slide down, ( which I did a time or 2 in the 80,s ) is 5 minutes. HA HA The walk back up is 1 hour. LMAO

Thanks

When I was hitting the gym sometimes twice a day we fished the Niagara. You had better be in good shape. Today I would need a chopper to get down and back up. We did both, drift and bottom bounced. I don't know why you couldn't do both. It won't be very crowded this time of year I would guess. Easier fishing is on the other side at The Art Park. Stairs, what a novel idea. You will need to get a NY State licence that you can get online and be able to cross the ditch,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,legally. Putting a Toon in there would be fun to watch you nut.

The best thing fishing there was you never knew what you had on the line from a big Laker, a good sized Smallie or a Steelie. I even caught a Perch once.

Most now float fish along seams close to shoreline breaks but be prepared for both. I prefer rigging more like west coast drifting with slip floats and the larger sizes that will handle enough lead to get those deeper +15 ft drifts

haven't been down this year but plan on soon as I like it in December better. I stopped hauling waders down a while ago, small back pack with extra gear and dress light for the walk especially quality boots. The staircase has some pretty big steps designed for 7 ft'rs

take a mix of buck tails and plastic worms too. 

I found out there is a tourny going on there, and my son is in it. Im going to pass as I am not part of it and sounds like alot of guys are going. That means crowded and shoulder fishing. Not for me.Thanks for the heads up with the links and whats doing the job there Paul.I got some vacation coming  during the Christmas break. Will see how that plays out to get down there.

I really hate this pass port thing between the two neighboring counties. I think Trump should do one good thing. White wash that rule out. Ya I understand why it,s there.

Seems the water was fishable after all. Son caught some fish this morning. I did warn him about the water rising fast. That was his first comment before he said, I caught fish. Man that water rises fast and the walk back up is killer..LOL

3 hours ago, misfish said:

. Man that water rises fast and the walk back up is killer..LOL

At 67 with COPD , I recommend fishing the upper river, you can fish Fort Erie a few yards from your vehicle, the fish are cleaner if you want one for the table and there are frequent incidental walleyes as well with the right presentation. Only masochists  fish the whirlpool and glen after the age of 50. :canadian:

6 minutes ago, dave524 said:

At 67 with COPD , I recommend fishing the upper river, you can fish Fort Erie a few yards from your vehicle, the fish are cleaner if you want one for the table and there are frequent incidental walleyes as well with the right presentation. Only masochists  fish the whirlpool and glen after the age of 50. :canadian:

Have fished the wall at the rainbow or was it the peace bridge, with success in the late 80,s.

14 minutes ago, Garnet said:

I was 30 when I was going to the whirl pool, ever time

I started towards stairs this same idoit would

jog by an run up the stairs. The only place I liked

was pool into the river fishing those seems

by the giant rocks.

Yup. I told him when I was in my late 20,s and early 30,s, I was there almost every weekend. His girlfriend loved the scenery today, just not the climb back up. LOL  Atleast he has a good catch that will fish with him. 

Also told him, when you see the big rock at the point covered, you know your good.LOL

Edited by misfish

On 12/2/2017 at 2:19 PM, misfish said:

I really hate this pass port thing between the two neighboring counties. I think Trump should do one good thing. White wash that rule out. Ya I understand why it,s there.

Seems the water was fishable after all. Son caught some fish this morning. I did warn him about the water rising fast. That was his first comment before he said, I caught fish. Man that water rises fast and the walk back up is killer..LOL

What did he catch?

I dont need no stinking passport (im already on the american side lol)

Just fished the artpark drifts yesterday, water was in great shape.......got a fish on the first drift, and you know what that means. Goose egg the rest of the morning. Buddy went the 2 previous days and hooked up with quite a few fish. The old, shoulda been here  yesterday trick i guess. 

Its funny cuz we were looking across to the canadian side in that section, and it seemed to be all cliffs. Yet there were a few guys at the shoreline. Looked like a death defying feat to get down to the water from our vantage point. 

45 minutes ago, BillM said:

I hate catching a fish on the first drift, never EVER a good omen (Ok once at Elk creek where Mike and I absolutely slammed them all day, but that's the exception)

If the first drift omen wasnt enuff.........my buddy asked if i wanted to get a quick pic of the fish. I very stupidly said....."Nah, were gonna get a bunch more and should be some bigger fish in the mix. Needless to say, that was sarcastically quoted throughout the course of the morning

1 hour ago, blaque said:

If the first drift omen wasnt enuff.........my buddy asked if i wanted to get a quick pic of the fish. I very stupidly said....."Nah, were gonna get a bunch more and should be some bigger fish in the mix. Needless to say, that was sarcastically quoted throughout the course of the morning

But makes for good laughs through out the day to keep you trying harder and harder.LOL