Where are the deer hunt reports ?

misfish

13 minutes ago, Rod Caster said:

Yeah, I was talking about pre-field dressed weight. I bet my wife would like to report her field-dressed weight too (it's ok, she doesn't read OFC)

So how much do you think the gut pile weighs, I have no idea but I'm guessing about 40 lbs......might of heard that somewhere.

I'm waiting for colder temps & some snow on the ground to get out again with the bow or the end of the controlled hunt.  I do these hunts alone & snow makes everything better with easier tracking, better last light & hopefully more daylight deer movement.   I did the first week of rifle this year in Haliburton & it was the best year in the last five (slow) years.  Seeing more moose every year and this fall more bears.  Rare to see a bear in November where we hunt & this year my group alone saw three adults. 

The does I've seen are usually 100-125 dressed. A 200 lb. dressed buck is a large deer in my experience.  I dragged one out of the bush solo last December.  I've heard of 250-260 lb. dressed weight bucks that would be 300 lbs. live but never seen one.  

I've seen very few hunters trucks parked on the road side this year and not many gun shots the week of shotgun. Usually there are trucks from one end to the other on the main roads here at the farmers back 40 wood lots and often I will see them loading the Deer in the trucks, not this year. I wonder why?  Usually guys are offering me Deer if I will cook some for them (not all hunters can cook) none from this area this year.

31 minutes ago, Old Ironmaker said:

I've seen very few hunters trucks parked on the road side this year and not many gun shots the week of shotgun. Usually there are trucks from one end to the other on the main roads here at the farmers back 40 wood lots and often I will see them loading the Deer in the trucks, not this year. I wonder why?  Usually guys are offering me Deer if I will cook some for them (not all hunters can cook) none from this area this year.

Weather has really messed up the deer this year from what I've seen.   

6 hours ago, Old Ironmaker said:

Im a loner as well and do like a week of fresh snow on the ground to figure out their movements. I like to sit just in the thick stuff with openings/ shooting lanes.  Open fields, I sit 5ft or so inside. Love those corner entrances. 

Not a lot off topic but I have to ask what is your favorite way to cook up Deer? I will make snitzels (sic) with the loin on mash taters and a wild mushroom gravy. Also cut the ribs in 2" or so pieces on the band saw and make a stew with it like a French Canadian at the plant showed me, my favorite way. The whole shoulder or leg with bone in I make like a pulled pork low and slow with red wine, inserted garlic covered in white and red onions and some secret stuff called Montreal Steak Spice rubbed on it, sometimes an entire leg on the BBQ wrapped in foil.  Marinated over night. I will always add rendered bacon fat. Everything but the snitzell low and slow.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

Myself Im not a whole meat eater of venison. I mean, I would sooner make sausages, pepperettes and ground. The back strap gets cooked the night of the harvest. Marinade in italian dressing, slow cooked, sliced in 1/2 peices and put on crackers. Now if you give me a moose steak or roast, were talking good eats.

1 hour ago, Old Ironmaker said:

Not a lot off topic but I have to ask what is your favorite way to cook up Deer? I will make snitzels (sic) with the loin on mash taters and a wild mushroom gravy. Also cut the ribs in 2" or so pieces on the band saw and make a stew with it like a French Canadian at the plant showed me, my favorite way. The whole shoulder or leg with bone in I make like a pulled pork low and slow with red wine, inserted garlic covered in white and red onions and some secret stuff called Montreal Steak Spice rubbed on it, sometimes an entire leg on the BBQ wrapped in foil.  Marinated over night. I will always add rendered bacon fat. Everything but the snitzell low and slow.

I cook the front end low & slow and the loin chops/back straps fast & medium rare.  The inside tenderloins fast fried or fast on the BBQ. I like any cut and any way prepared unless overcooked and too dry.  I like stews with tomato, garlic, onion, rosemary, thyme & dark beer and mashed potatoes of course .  One cut I like but usually ends up as stew or ground is a neck roast also low & slow.  Moose is also great but I haven't hunted moose (successfully) for some time and very little has been gifted to me.

Are we talked dressed weights here or what?    A 200lb dressed doe would be a rare bird.   That's a big ass doe.   Now a 200lb doe with all her guts in her isn't a big deal.   What do gut piles weigh?  40-60lbs?    I've got no doubts there are a lot of does walking around that are well over 200lbs.   Wayne, if you need any of them shot let me know, lol!!!