Outboard motor help

super dave

I'm trying to winterize the outboard but it keeps conking out on me.   Starting isn't an issue.   Starts fine then dies after 10 secs.    If I rev it it will stay but as soon as a throttle down she quits.   Fuel pump works, cleaned the carbs and added a new impeller.    I'm stumped.   Any ideas?   Any suggestions appreciated.  Thanks!

34 minutes ago, super dave said:

I pulled the fuel line going to the carbs and started it up.   I noticed no fuel coming out at idle but once I reved it, fuel pours out.   Any ideas on this cause?   I'm assuming this is my problem.    Reving it will stay on but at does it will die.  Need a new fuel pump?

Na, don't think the fuel pump is pooched otherwise it wouldn't pump much either at high speed when it needs it. At idle you use very little gas.  If the filter was plugged it most likely wouldn't run either when it needs more gas revving it up.

Fuel pump???? I don't like to rule anything out until I've seen it with my own eyes but.  I don't know how good you are at cleaning carbs but it isn't as easy as " take it apart, dump any dirt out" and you're good to go. It sounds to me like it could be either of two things (or a combination of both) Either your low speed jet is plugged or your carbs are out of adjustment. Also on a multi carb system the carbs need to be properly balanced, have you done that?

I don't suspect  fuel filter at this point or as has already been suggested you'd be having problems with your high speed too. Can you get the carbs to me, if so I would be happy to go over them for you, make sure they are properly cleaned and balanced and basic settings are correct. You might still have to fine tune them in the spring but it should run pretty close to spec when I get them back to you. Cover any parts and transportation, I'll provide the labor.+

Hey Guys.  I managed to fix the problem and the motor is running smooth now.   Took apart the carbs again fully and gave it a good clean with a carb cleaner.   I missed the jet the first time I tried it.  I also noticed that the float

was crooked and not parallel with the base.   after this last clean she started and didn't shut down on idle.  not sure if it was the float adjustment or the jet that I missed or both. 

wanted to give a big thanks to all those that offered advice and a special thanks to big cliff who offered to take a closer look at my motor.  that was very nice offer of you.

finally got it running and now I have to fog it for the winter : (