SxS/UTV suggestions?

Tjames09

Looking at getting one possibly soon. Ive looked at all the brands, Yamaha, Polaris, Honda, Arctic Cat. Seems they're all around the same price (15000) for a 700ish with power steering.

Anyone own or have experience with them? Make any recommendations?

Number one, don't go by the price.  What you save up front, most likely you'll be taking it back for repairs, that's how they make up the difference.  I would avoid Polaris, Arctic Cat(now Textron) and Canned Ham like the plague.  We have a number of guys in our ATV club that bought the above 3 and have suffered, brand new machines that break down, parts not available and had to cannibalize another brand new unsold one for parts.   Engine size isn't the end all to everything either.  Yamaha, Kawasaki and Honda are reliable with Yamaha having the highest ground clearance if I'm not mistaken.   From personal experience we had 2 Yamaha Kodiaks at work, used for plowing parking lots in winter and trail riding during the rest of the year.  Over 10,000 km, new tires a battery and a light bulb on one, the other needed a new battery with slightly less kms.  I've got my own 550 Grizzly, one battery in 8 years.  That's it.  Just opened the belt cover last week, no wear or belt dust.  The Ultramatic transmission is what they call bullet proof.   The unfortunate end to this info, work now has 2 Canned Hams, 650 2 up,  one has spent more time in the shop with  electronics and transmission problems, the other also has electrical gremlins.  

As for brands it can be a Ford/Chev debate.

In my ATV club we have members with just about every brand.

Personally with my ATV I've had zero problems with my CanAm. Generally those with problems seem to be more operated related although Cats don't like water is a recurring theme.

3 minutes ago, Woodsman said:

Personally with my ATV I've had zero problems with my CanAm. Generally those with problems seem to be more operated related although Cats don't like water is a recurring theme.

When the piece of junk comes right from the factory without being operated, I guess we can then chalk that up to a, junk, b, quality control, c, hoping it will barely make it past warranty.

I like the Honda's myself.

We had an old pair of Honda quads at the lodge on Great Bear that are still going strong after many years of service.

I'm looking at getting myself a quad next year and it will be a Honda.

Their machines have no belts to wear out either as their transmissions ale like regular vehicle transmissions.

1 hour ago, DRIFTER_016 said:

I like the Honda's myself.

We had an old pair of Honda quads at the lodge on Great Bear that are still going strong after many years of service.

I'm looking at getting myself a quad next year and it will be a Honda.

Their machines have no belts to wear out either as their transmissions ale like regular vehicle transmissions.

That would have been my alternate choice.

For the price of these things I would also consider either down sizing to an ATV or up sizing to an actual small 4wd SUV or small 4wd pick up. I don't know what you plan to use it for though.

The price versus advantages ratio just seems off.

Edited by chris.brock

I do not have a lot of experience with the sxs but as far as ATVs

I have been running a Can Am for 4 years, before that a Yamaha Big Bear for 12 years,  using it for summer trail riding and working around my camp,  in winter for ice fishing and plowing snow  Machine has been perfect zero issues.

I do keep mine hooked to a battery tender in the winter in the unheated garage.  Grease it and change oil once a year. Use 87 Octane gas with Star Tron all year 

I ride with another XT same as mine, and an  XT Max which is the 2 up, a Yamaha Grizzly and a Honda Rubicon.   The only issue is with the Honda in the winter, When its cold the electronic shift does not work some time.   

Happy shopping

Cheers

Rick

PS  My buddy with the other XT, just read this post, and reminded me of one issue I did have.  That was a taillight  getting water inside.  This was replaced by BRP under warranty

Edited by RickOnt