Latest Project

Tom S

Nice work there. How are you going to finish the handle? Is it cork? I see instructions for mixing epoxy, Tom you don't need no stinkin' instructions. At least you did something productive with this miserable weather we both are having today. Wait, I put a Pork shoulder that I marinated in Coca Cola and Montreal Steak spice overnight in the oven this morning for pulled Pork. I didn't waste all my time.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 8 months later...

It's been a slow summer for me, but I'm just wrapping up another rod project.

All you walleye folks will just have to look away, this one is designed for smallies. 7'6" fiberglass blank for slow action with lots of shock-absorption, 6/7/8wt to handle streamers and poppers, all aluminum reel seat for durabillity,  and a Nickel Silver ferrule to minimize the dead spot in the blank. I'm currently doing some test casting before I glue on a fighting butt. 

ULY46Av.jpg?2

xE6robX.jpg?2

EXUoVpT.jpg

oIPVuXU.jpg?1

Thanks for looking.

Nice,  I like the line wt., I always found it less work to throw wind resistant bugs and poppers with an adequate line rather than fight with too light a line like a 5/6 wt. I like a bit more length though for smallies but I usually waded or fished from a canoe and low to the water.

Thanks Dave. 

Agreed about the line weight. Do it properly and you don’t wear yourself out casting. 

Length is great in some situations,  but length quickly adds weight to a fibreglass rod. If you look at some of the best regarded classic rods (Phillipson for example) they were often shorter yet are still known to be phenomenal casting rods.

1 hour ago, Tom S said:

Thanks Dave. 

Agreed about the line weight. Do it properly and you don’t wear yourself out casting. 

Length is great in some situations,  but length quickly adds weight to a fibreglass rod. If you look at some of the best regarded classic rods (Phillipson for example) they were often shorter yet are still known to be phenomenal casting rods.

I was a Hardy Fibalite guy in the glass rod era (late 60's/70's), still got a couple and the matching Marquis .  Shorter rods demand higher casting skill, Lee Wulff would fish Atlantics on 6 foot rods on the old black and white clips of my youth, wish I still had my old green Garcia Lee Wulff 6 foot glass rod, big bucks now with collectors.

21 hours ago, TJQ said:

Nice...   thats a pretty cool hobby.

Thanks, keeps me sane.

23 hours ago, dave524 said:

I was a Hardy Fibalite guy in the glass rod era (late 60's/70's), still got a couple and the matching Marquis .  Shorter rods demand higher casting skill, Lee Wulff would fish Atlantics on 6 foot rods on the old black and white clips of my youth, wish I still had my old green Garcia Lee Wulff 6 foot glass rod, big bucks now with collectors.

Shorter rods demand more precise timing. Things happen faster than they do with a long rod. 

That Lee Wulff would definitely of had some collector value. I still scour the classifieds hoping to find a mislabeled Phillipson Swamp Fox or Royal Wand (Phillipson always had cool names) to add to my collection, but no success yet.