Port Dahlhousie ??

DJGeneral

Hey Guys going to be in St Catherines Visiting my sister in law

I was thinking to check out the port in the morning

What are the best access points this time year if I'm targeting brown trout or rainbow trout

any help would be appreciated i have my mind settled for the dam right in town

Also the 12 mile creek runs through her backyard i was thinking about going there as well

but any other suggestions would be grateful !

Thanks Guys

Edited by DJGeneral

14 hours ago, bigugli said:

You have 2 choices of drift for trout. East side  up stream from the Game & Fish Clubhouse, or behind the Legion.  The 12 Mile creek is very muddy right now. You could try martindal pond for bass or pike.

Thanks for your help, looked at some videos on youtube and think ill try that spot near the dam even seen a comment that browns were being caught there yesterday

and if that fails ill stroll down to martindale pond like you said

Thanks!

5 minutes ago, Old Ironmaker said:

I always drive by there to get to my brothers place. I hope it isn't like it was last week when I went by, it was shoulder to shoulder. Fish early and go slay em' DJ.

Thats the plan brother!

The weather has other ideas but im dressing for it!

Just now, Old Ironmaker said:

If you get there early there is parking, but things may have changed since I last stopped there. I'll see if I can get a hold of my brother and ask. Be prepared to get snagged up, heavily fished area. When we did fish there and it was hot there were many cars from NY, PA and Michigan believe it or not.

Thanks for everyones help

I had a good day on saturday landing 3 browns in 3 hours

its was really packed counted 40 guys shoulder to shoulder

but the bite was fire and yes ironmaker a lot of cars from the USA were there

i got there by 5am and the was already 15 cars in the parking lot but 7am there was 40 + people fishing

Glad i got there early by 8am it was a zoo so i took off! 

1 hour ago, grimsbylander said:

3 browns by 8am is awesome. Good job but... the rules are, no pics no fish! lol 

I knew someone was going to say that lol but i strategically left my phone in the car so the girlfriend doesnt bother me!

Just kidding forgot the phone in the car was to scared to leave my spot and run back to the car

because it was so packed!! I promise pictures when i go back this weekend!

1 hour ago, AKRISONER said:

impressive! I saw this thread last week but was out on a course and didnt get to reply. Seems you didnt need any help from me anyways!

The fishing was so hot anyone could have hooked up i probably seen over 15 fish landed it was insane i couldnt believe it

Edited by DJGeneral

9 hours ago, grimsbylander said:

3 browns by 8am is awesome. Good job but... the rules are, no pics no fish! lol 

Im sure you can remember the days standing on the wall at the dam . That was the spot to be there at 3am. Even then, you were the 5th guy in the row. I know it,s off limits now. When they did close it off ( property owner ) we brought the tinny in there. LOL Those were the days.

15 hours ago, huzzsaba said:

Were you bottom bouncing? Last time I went there a few weeks ago, the dam was wide open due to some construction and the current was too strong. Even the regulars were complaining about the current.

Yah Huzzsaba i was bottom bouncing with roe bags,

14 hours ago, misfish said:

Im sure you can remember the days standing on the wall at the dam . That was the spot to be there at 3am. Even then, you were the 5th guy in the row. I know it,s off limits now. When they did close it off ( property owner ) we brought the tinny in there. LOL Those were the days.

LOL Yup! You have to be careful with a boat in there now. With the new technology in reels and longer rods, guys can almost cast halfway across the river and there's guys on both sides! 

I'll head down there in December/January...less fish but way less guys. A good snow storm or cold snap seems to thin the herd.

7 minutes ago, grimsbylander said:

LOL Yup! You have to be careful with a boat in there now. With the new technology in reels and longer rods, guys can almost cast halfway across the river and there's guys on both sides! 

I'll head down there in December/January...less fish but way less guys. A good snow storm or cold snap seems to thin the herd.

last time i was out it was during a torrential downpour on christmas eve...needless to say we were catching and so were the other 3 guys on the pier. 

1 hour ago, grimsbylander said:

Hopefully i see you down there ! There was a boat on saturday about 30 feet away from the dam as well wish i can upload the video i took when i was leaving of the herd that was there!

My buddy was curious as to why no one centrepin fishes here?

i couldn't give him a reason anyone care to enlighten us?

22 minutes ago, misfish said:

Cant remember the last time I did that. Im a visual guy. LOL

They'd throw you off the pier in Port D if you're started float fishing in the middle of all the bottom bouncing guys lol.   That's one place where everyone needs to be in sync