New tackle shop

John Bacon

I was driving up Woodbine Ave and noticed that a new tackle store has moved into the old LeBarons location.  Solely is the store name.  I dropped in, they carry both fishing and hunting gear.

They are expecting to have their grand opening next month, but they are now open to the public.  They do have some deals on right now.

On ‎2017‎-‎11‎-‎14 at 7:14 PM, Fisherman said:

Solely,  scratching my slowly balding crown,  wonder how they came up with that moniker.  May have to pay a visit.

After I retired I took some business courses at Brock. One of the lectures was about naming your business. People invest 100's of thousands and don't think about what to name their business. Some duzzies out there.

I have to wonder as well as to why someone would open a bricks and mortar retail store in todays business market. All the bricks and mortar stores are going to the web for sales, including the big guys like Loblaw's. It's nice to see though. We should all shop local Mom and Pop's places, not just for tackle and let the big US players play in the US like BPS, Cabela's the way Target did. Best of luck to them.

14 hours ago, Old Ironmaker said:

I have to wonder as well as to why someone would open a bricks and mortar retail store in todays business market. All the bricks and mortar stores are going to the web for sales, including the big guys like Loblaw's. It's nice to see though. We should all shop local Mom and Pop's places, not just for tackle and let the big US players play in the US like BPS, Cabela's the way Target did. Best of luck to them.

Brick and retail stores still have a place in today's business market, they just need to be smart about how they approach it. 

In your Loblaw's example they are closing a number of stores and starting up online retail. But be honest with me - who is going to buy meat, produce, and bakery though an online retail? You want to see and feel those products, which also happen to be high margin products. The center of the store items that are low margin? It's a race to the bottom on those and going online means that you can distribute from a central warehouse and reduce your staff overhead. If you watch which stores Loblaw's shuts down they'll be in areas where they don't make out well on  meat, produce, and bakery and will do just fine with online shopping and delivery.

For an outdoor store they need to focus on the items that either can't be had online (guns/ammunition) or that people want to touch and feel before spending a lot of money on it. They want to be an outfitter, and not even try to compete with Crappy Tire or Bass Pro on hooks and split shot. I would think that Toronto should be a large enough market to support a store like this if they do it right. 

1 hour ago, misfish said:

LOL

Angus has fishing, hunting and now, Harveys and swiss chalet:o:lol: And cheap gas.:rolleyes:

Yep, supposed to open in December.  I'll give SC an extra week before I sample it.   I remember when Mary Browns opened, gave it a couple weeks just to let them get their you know what in order.  Got the basic take out and promptly got extra sick, me and wife. Ok, add that one to the list of out of bounds quick food joints.  

On the side, we had an early Christmas dinner from work, (couple going south early this year) and went to the Italian Eatery in Park Place.  Now as you realize I'm not one to eat or enjoy much restaurant food, but I'll be going back there again.  Good food, hot, and no internal volcano to deal with overnight or excrete rusty razor blades the next morning. 

17 hours ago, Tom S said:

Brick and retail stores still have a place in today's business market, they just need to be smart about how they approach it. 

In your Loblaw's example they are closing a number of stores and starting up online retail. But be honest with me - who is going to buy meat, produce, and bakery though an online retail? You want to see and feel those products, which also happen to be high margin products. The center of the store items that are low margin? It's a race to the bottom on those and going online means that you can distribute from a central warehouse and reduce your staff overhead. If you watch which stores Loblaw's shuts down they'll be in areas where they don't make out well on  meat, produce, and bakery and will do just fine with online shopping and delivery.

For an outdoor store they need to focus on the items that either can't be had online (guns/ammunition) or that people want to touch and feel before spending a lot of money on it. They want to be an outfitter, and not even try to compete with Crappy Tire or Bass Pro on hooks and split shot. I would think that Toronto should be a large enough market to support a store like this if they do it right. 

Of course there will always be some brick and mortar locations especially for groceries in our lifetime. However traditional shopping has changed drastically. My wife is in retail with a Loblaw's affiliate, Shoppers, and they are moving marketing strategies towards online shopping in a big way. You know what is interesting, Simpson Sears and Sears and Roebuck in the US were the first to utilize electronic off site shopping.  Electronics in their case was the telephone, and customers could pick up their goods at remote rural sites or have it delivered, sound familiar (Amazon)? Now they have been beaten at their own game because they didn't evolve but they were the first. I am touchy feely shopper and never buy online, until this summer. We bought an expensive piece of furniture online because it was 30% off from what they had at the Blue Barn. It couldn't tell what it looked like from a small pic on the Laptop screen but it was actually nicer than what we saw in person and the same manufacturer.

By the way where did it come from? Vietnam of all places and better workmanship by far than that Scandinavian place with the carton instructions.

Tom if you are ever in our local Shoppers there is usually a 6' tall gorgeous (to me) blond lady at cosmetics that says hello as soon as you come in. Introduce yourself and buy something, she gets commission and I reap the rewards! Highest paid greeter I know of, ha.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

Got a new Costco here on the south service road at the Grimsby/Stony Creek border. Tried the gas bar for the first time, almost 10 cents a litre cheaper than at the full service Shell in town, usually get 40 bucks worth and pay cash as we drive very little,  2006 with 76,000 Km on it.  There is no option to pay cash :o, it is either charge or debit :wallbash:, guess I'm old fashioned :canadian:

22 hours ago, Tom S said:

For an outdoor store they need to focus on the items that either can't be had online (guns/ammunition) or that people want to touch and feel before spending a lot of money on it.

Actually you can buy guns online in Canada, even restricteds like handguns and Canada Post delivers them to your door,  on occasion they have left them outside if you weren't home :wallbash:

Edited by dave524

1 hour ago, dave524 said:

Actually you can buy guns online in Canada, even restricteds like handguns and Canada Post delivers them to your door,  on occasion they have left them outside if you weren't home :wallbash:

Really? I figured you would have to produce a PAL in order to be able to purchase. 

2 hours ago, dave524 said:

Got a new Costco here on the south service road at the Grimsby/Stony Creek border. Tried the gas bar for the first time, almost 10 cents a litre cheaper than at the full service Shell in town, usually get 40 bucks worth and pay cash as we drive very little,  2006 with 76,000 Km on it.  There is no option to pay cash :o, it is either charge or debit :wallbash:, guess I'm old fashioned :canadian:

Go in and get the cooked whole chicken. I get gas and the chicken. Thats about all.LOL