Anyone familiar with Wallaceburg On.?

Old Ironmaker

We are looking to locate this spring, pretty well anywhere here in Ontario or out east to Nova Scotia as she has family there, anywhere west isn't in the budget besides I don't like it west of Ontario. My Lady has been house hunting online and showed me a little place called Wallaceburg near Lake St. Clare. It looks to have 3 rivers or big creeks run into town and many inland lakes and as I said close to LSC where the fishing is great. About 3 hours to the GTHNA ( Greater Toronto/Hamilton Niagara Area) where most of our families are.

Anyone here know anything about Wallaceburg and it's fishing, sure looks promising. Plus side is that properties are up to 80% less than around the TO/Hamilton area for the same homes.

Thanks.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

That's what I was thinking just looking at all that water on Google Earth. Do you live in the area b-cdot? It really is an interesting area with all the fishing opportunity let alone real estate prices that echo prices here 10 years or more ago. A smallish place 2 bed 1 bath which is all we need and on a big lot that granted is a gut job for 130K. A 65X150 foot lot. Crazy mon. Lots that size in Hamilton don't exist and if you do find one it would be 250K or more just for the land.

Wallaceburg is a great little town, your not far from Chatham or Sarnia, st Clair river offers great fishing for walleye, steelhead and salmon, musky, bass, like.

I grew up in Sarnia, made many trips to Mitchell's bay. Got the biggest pike of my life from there, I was 10, saw it come up to the boat and freaked out, gave the rod to my dad lol. My first experience with a monster fish even though it was only around 30 inches

That's what I was thinking just looking at all that water on Google Earth. Do you live in the area b-cdot? It really is an interesting area with all the fishing opportunity let alone real estate prices that echo prices here 10 years or more ago. A smallish place 2 bed 1 bath which is all we need and on a big lot that granted is a gut job for 130K. A 65X150 foot lot. Crazy mon. Lots that size in Hamilton don't exist and if you do find one it would be 250K or more just for the land.

My brother bought a place in Corinna for under 200, its huge, and easily a 700+ house here, the back yard is about 60ft deep and 200ft across, corner lot in a cul de sac

Thanks all, very interesting. I'm floored by the real estate prices and the number of properties for sale. My wife may be retiring earlier than spring. An option is to buy there over the winter and do the reno's and move when we sell here or rent our lakefront here out for the season next summer and sell in the fall. That will put a few paso's in our jeans if I find the right family.

Anyone here know anything about Wallaceburg and it's fishing, sure looks promising. Plus side is that properties are up to 80% less than around the TO/Hamilton area for the same homes.

Thanks.

A long lost relative was found in Wallisburg in 1957. He had immigrated in the early 1900s and never went back.

Very successful plumber with alot of homes in his name.

On 11/14/2017 at 12:58 AM, Old Ironmaker said:

Thanks all, very interesting. I'm floored by the real estate prices and the number of properties for sale.

That answer is simple. Supply & demand.

With low employment options supply outdoes the demand.

Great option for retiree's.

I live just down the road in Dresden, work in wallaceburg.

The town itself is nice enough, there are some sketchy party though, a lot of tweakers wondering around town from time to time....but if your considering Hamilton im sure Wallaceburg is a cake walk in that department...

As far as fishing goes, wont find a better place south of Toronto as far as a good central location, year round there is somewhere to catch something, lots of variety. 10 minutes to st clair, 30 minutes to huron or erie, 1.5 hr to the detroit river...then all the gill and crappie spots u could hope for everywhere in between.

On 11/15/2017 at 10:54 AM, Brettiop said:

I live just down the road in Dresden, work in wallaceburg.

The town itself is nice enough, there are some sketchy party though, a lot of tweakers wondering around town from time to time....but if your considering Hamilton im sure Wallaceburg is a cake walk in that department...

As far as fishing goes, wont find a better place south of Toronto as far as a good central location, year round there is somewhere to catch something, lots of variety. 10 minutes to st clair, 30 minutes to huron or erie, 1.5 hr to the detroit river...then all the gill and crappie spots u could hope for everywhere in between.

Yup x2

Best place to get info for fishing in Wallaceburg is Ed's Bait talk to Dave or his wife Shana (yep most likely spelled it wrong) Amazing people with great first hand info.

You might be able to find a nice spot on the Thames river they pop up time to time or one of the rivers around the Burg.

Lots of year round fishing from Ice season where you can get all the perch you want on LSC if the rivers freeze up you can hit the eyes on the Sydanham or Thames or any of the small cuts are loaded with Panfish.

Also in the winter we would go fish the StClair river from shore for trout not sure how that fishing is anymore but it was fun

Spring time the StClair river is loaded with Eye's there is no closed season so as soon as you can get the boat in you can fish. If you wanted to run to the DR the big eyes are there also just a little far for a quick trip.

When the smaller rivers open up for the Eyes you can get them from shore all around the area same as the StClair river you don't need a boat.

Lots of guys do spring pike fishing all the creeks that run off the rivers out that way have good pike fishing

Lake StClair has great pan fish,Bass,Pike,Eyes, and musky fishing year round just have to get to different areas through the season but its amazing for multi species people.

Salmon fishing in Huron is great as well as the eyes

you have so many place to fish if you want to these are just a couple things that pop into my head. Many of us dont take advantage of the amazing fishing we have here but if your willing to get out and learn these different styles that everyone does here it can be awesome.

I'm in Chatham just 10-20 min away depending on who is driving yes HWY 40 can be as crazy as a commute to the GTA as people here dont realize that were not that far and think that 20 min is a long commute so they drive like jack asses it can be a crappy road to travel on and like said above your in the snow belt for our area same as summer storms they will hit the Burg and miss Chatham all together.

If your just looking for a place to retire it can be OK many people come down here for just that the winters are not brutal and the weather is nice.

If ya have any questions shoot me a email [email protected]

13 hours ago, Handlebarz said:

Best place to get info for fishing in Wallaceburg is Ed's Bait talk to Dave or his wife Shana (yep most likely spelled it wrong) Amazing people with great first hand info.

You might be able to find a nice spot on the Thames river they pop up time to time or one of the rivers around the Burg.

Lots of year round fishing from Ice season where you can get all the perch you want on LSC if the rivers freeze up you can hit the eyes on the Sydanham or Thames or any of the small cuts are loaded with Panfish.

Also in the winter we would go fish the StClair river from shore for trout not sure how that fishing is anymore but it was fun

Spring time the StClair river is loaded with Eye's there is no closed season so as soon as you can get the boat in you can fish. If you wanted to run to the DR the big eyes are there also just a little far for a quick trip.

When the smaller rivers open up for the Eyes you can get them from shore all around the area same as the StClair river you don't need a boat.

Lots of guys do spring pike fishing all the creeks that run off the rivers out that way have good pike fishing

Lake StClair has great pan fish,Bass,Pike,Eyes, and musky fishing year round just have to get to different areas through the season but its amazing for multi species people.

you have so many place to fish if you want to these are just a couple things that pop into my head. Many of us dont take advantage of the amazing fishing we have here but if your willing to get out and learn these different styles that everyone does here it can be awesome.

I'm in Chatham just 10-20 min away depending on who is driving yes HWY 40 can be as crazy as a commute to the GTA as people here dont realize that were not that far and think that 20 min is a long commute so they drive like jack asses it can be a crappy road to travel on and like said above your in the snow belt for our area same as summer storms they will hit the Burg and miss Chatham all together.

If your just looking for a place to retire it can be OK many people come down here for just that the winters are not brutal and the weather is nice.

Well said. We are spoiled with the fishing around here!

On 21/11/2017 at 6:54 AM, Handlebarz said:

Been fishing the Detroit river pretty consistently for the last 6-7 years. Without a doubt the St clair river was much nicer to me and many of my friends in recent years. Incredible numbers of fish without the ridiculous boat traffic and long ride. 

Edited by b_cdot